IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Europa League qualification would be good for the players. They'd get the shock of their lives if we qualified for the CL without having tasted much, if any, European opposition.

Also, it would boost our profile around Europe meaning we could attract better players that could push us into the CL spots the season after. Plus, just being in European competition will make a better calibre of player want to sign for us.

Progression and education.

Can't understand why anyone would be against us qualifying.

Absolutely spot on!

I think it is extremely short sighted for Any Evertonian to not want to be in the Europa League

Apart from anything else if we were to take the competition seriously it would represent our best chance of silverware

We aren't going to win the League , the FA Cup is dominated by the top 4 and we might as well not bother entering a side in the League Cup

I think it is extremely short sighted for Any Evertonian to not want to be in the Europa League

Apart from anything else if we were to take the competition seriously it would represent our best chance of silverware

We aren't going to win the League , the FA Cup is dominated by the top 4 and we might as well not bother entering a side in the League Cup

Fulham made it the final a couple of years ago and lost to Juventus. We beat Juventus in pre-season.

Need I say more?

I think the problem with sitting back and resting on our laurels in terms of wanting to play in Europe until our squad is big enough, is each year that passes the gap between us and the top 4 gets bigger in bigger in terms of finances and quality of squads. We are at the ceiling of mid-table clubs, the only way we can break into that top echelon to expand the depth and quality of our squad is tapping into the financial goldmine of Europe.

No point waiting around until Martinez has his own compiled squad of decent players, as it's just going to get harder and harder to catch those above us with each season that passes. Look at Liverpool, they've had a stellar season thus far riding on the back of the form of Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho. You could argue that as a whole we have a more complete and better squad, but imagine how they'll strengthen after they get the increased funds of Champions league football lining their pockets.

I think the problem with sitting back and resting on our laurels in terms of wanting to play in Europe until our squad is big enough, is each year that passes the gap between us and the top 4 gets bigger in bigger in terms of finances and quality of squads. We are at the ceiling of mid-table clubs, the only way we can break into that top echelon to expand the depth and quality of our squad is tapping into the financial goldmine of Europe.

No point waiting around until Martinez has his own compiled squad of decent players, as it's just going to get harder and harder to catch those above us with each season that passes. Look at Liverpool, they've had a stellar season thus far riding on the back of the form of Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho. You could argue that as a whole we have a more complete and better squad, but imagine how they'll strengthen after they get the increased funds of Champions league football lining their pockets.

The key words being "champions league" not "Europa"

The key words being "champions league" not "Europa"

Very True.

If you look on the bright side, what if they get knocked out immediately then they don't make that much. if we continue to progress in europa each gate receipt is money we didn't have. plus a liverpool squad that has to play FA cup, league cup, prem league, and champs league will be stretched thin. Suarez and Sturridge can't play every match, and their bench doesn't wow me. In addition they just reported some very large operating losses, so FFP will be coming in to play soon as well. So although we will be stretched thin, I think they will just as equally.

Very True.

If you look on the bright side, what if they get knocked out immediately then they don't make that much. if we continue to progress in europa each gate receipt is money we didn't have. plus a liverpool squad that has to play FA cup, league cup, prem league, and champs league will be stretched thin. Suarez and Sturridge can't play every match, and their bench doesn't wow me. In addition they just reported some very large operating losses, so FFP will be coming in to play soon as well. So although we will be stretched thin, I think they will just as equally.

All valid points, but the specific example of Liverpool isn't exactly what I was referring to. It's more the idea that each season the top 4 clubs qualify for Champions League it's widening the gap between us and them due to the incoming funds strengthening their squads over ours.

You're right Miguel in that Europa and Champions League have much greater implications in terms of financial reward, but we'd be more immune to the widening of the gap between us and the top teams if we are playing deep into the Europa league and earning prize money, even if it is less than 10m. 6m pounds buys another Mirallas, 2m pounds buys a Gareth Barry.

All valid points, but the specific example of Liverpool isn't exactly what I was referring to. It's more the idea that each season the top 4 clubs qualify for Champions League it's widening the gap between us and them due to the incoming funds strengthening their squads over ours.

You're right Miguel in that Europa and Champions League have much greater implications in terms of financial reward, but we'd be more immune to the widening of the gap between us and the top teams if we are playing deep into the Europa league and earning prize money, even if it is less than 10m. 6m pounds buys another Mirallas, 2m pounds buys a Gareth Barry.

You have to have really good scouts to find players like Mirallas for that money. Players of that pedigree would usually cost £12m+.

I think the Europa would be good for the fans etc. However I don't see it taking us to the next level. Financially it's not very fruitful and it can have a major affect on player fatigue (as would the champions league). The difference is financially the champions league allows you to add additional quality to counter fatigue of players.

Don't get me wrong I would be happy for a Europa league finish now that we are probably out of the champions league places for good. It just comes down to the inability to go out and spend to progress to the next level.

Edited by MiguelCotto

• 3 weeks later...

cant see the clip, whats it about?

It's that chubby LFC fan who's been on TV a few times doing various impressions, he's doing Martinez now and saying his objective is to win the cup and get relegated, etc, etc... To be fair he's usually pretty good with the voices, he's just not amusing at all though

Sounds more like Mata!! :huh: he does some of Roberto's manorisms to a tee but the voice is wayyy off!

He doesn't even say, "phenomenal" or "incredible" once as far as I can remember.....goes to show that he's just doing a "comedy" Spanish accent and has done zero research, an observational comedian who doesn't observe?

Don't even know why I came back here.