IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Has anyone actually noticed that when we have possession that our full backs bomb on and Barry becomes third centre half? Thats why stones was caught out, because Barry lost the ball.

I can't forvtge life of me understand us having to defend a 19 year old kid who was far from the worst player in the derby.

Joke. Let's just pick on naismith instead eh, not that he deserves it,just to take the heat off a lad who can become world class.

Has anyone actually noticed that when we have possession that our full backs bomb on and Barry becomes third centre half? Thats why stones was caught out, because Barry lost the ball.

I can't forvtge life of me understand us having to defend a 19 year old kid who was far from the worst player in the derby.

Joke. Let's just pick on naismith instead eh, not that he deserves it,just to take the heat off a lad who can become world class.

At centre back. Which I've acknowledged umpteen times. He's made some classy performances at centre half.

I never want to see him at RB again though. The amount of times he was in a decent attacking position then opted to pass it backwards wore thin on me. He's was trying to be an attacking outlet but hasn't got the skillet to do it. Not his fault.

I can se what Migel is saying to be honest. Stones has not got the attributes to play the role Martinez is asking him to do when he plays at RB

In the derby he was woeful but he wasnt exactly the only player to have a bad night. Martinez got his tactics horribly wrong on the night and as a team we were defending far too high up the pitch especially given the lack of pace we had in the back four

I dont think Roberto is doing him any favours playing him as an attacking RB. He should either change his tactics to accomodate him or get someone in who can do the job he wants from a RB

I can se what Migel is saying to be honest. Stones has not got the attributes to play the role Martinez is asking him to do when he plays at RB

In the derby he was woeful but he wasnt exactly the only player to have a bad night. Martinez got his tactics horribly wrong on the night and as a team we were defending far too high up the pitch especially given the lack of pace we had in the back four

I dont think Roberto is doing him any favours playing him as an attacking RB. He should either change his tactics to accomodate him or get someone in who can do the job he wants from a RB

Spot on. Easy to see. Was meant to give you positive there mate.

This is a genuine question, so dont read it in any other way!

How would this defending deeper work? Say if we were 10-15 yards deeper. Shites attacking quartet are still going to press...our players would still make the mistakes, have a nightmare...the only difference being that it hapoens closer to our goal??? Does one team sitting deeper not just allow the other team to push up further?

He was much worse as a centre back against Norwich then he was as a right back against Liverpool or Villa. I'm not saying he'll be a better right back than centre back btw. But it's suprising how few of you can see context. Villa had 5 defenders and their 2 central midfielders a couple of yards in front of them in their box, of course he isn't gonna cross! He passed and turned his way out of trouble in our own half when building play up, used the ball well up front and created a very good chance with one of his passes. Against Liverpool he was let down by his experienced team mates like Jags and Barry who were responsible for the major fuck ups, yet Stones gets most of the grief.

This is a genuine question, so dont read it in any other way!

How would this defending deeper work? Say if we were 10-15 yards deeper. Shites attacking quartet are still going to press...our players would still make the mistakes, have a nightmare...the only difference being that it hapoens closer to our goal??? Does one team sitting deeper not just allow the other team to push up further?

Thats an easy question to answer if you llok at the goals we conceded

Watch the goals again

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ai58b_all-goals-liverpool-4-0-everton-28-1-2014-highlights_sport

The second goal Stones gets caught out of position because he is too high up the pitch

The third goal is a simple dink over the top because the two centre backs are too high up the pitch

The fourth goal Jags gets caught in possession and high up the pitch and because we had no pace in the back 4 Suarez is able to run half the length of the pitch to score

It wasnt just the goals though, everytime The Shite went forward they looked like scoring by just dinking the ball over the top or sliding a pass through into the gaps left by our full backs

If you defend deeper you dont leave those big open spaces at the back that Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling exploited time and time again

Stones is 20 in May. Not 18. Do your homework.

The point is he will never be a RB in a Martinez side. What got my back up about him was people saying he played well. He was absolute shite! in the derby and against Villa.

I'll take it to mean that, because you got pedantic over Stones' age instead of addressing my general points, you've conceded defeat in the debate. Most defenders don't peak until around 26. It's impossible to predict what Stones will become, or if Martinez will even be here in 3 years. I'll find you a game where Messi, Zidane, Pele, Ronaldinho, and Oliver Kahn were "absolute shit" as well. A couple games does little to persuade me in any direction.

Edited by thoward18

Thats an easy question to answer if you llok at the goals we conceded

Watch the goals again

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ai58b_all-goals-liverpool-4-0-everton-28-1-2014-highlights_sport

The second goal Stones gets caught out of position because he is too high up the pitch

The third goal is a simple dink over the top because the two centre backs are too high up the pitch

The fourth goal Jags gets caught in possession and high up the pitch and because we had no pace in the back 4 Suarez is able to run half the length of the pitch to score

It wasnt just the goals though, everytime The Shite went forward they looked like scoring by just dinking the ball over the top or sliding a pass through into the gaps left by our full backs

If you defend deeper you dont leave those big open spaces at the back that Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling exploited time and time again

Nah. Ive tried, but cant agree. We were just shite. Very shite. Put that back four 20yards deeper...those forwards would still have pressed and harassed, forcing mistake after mistake. The only difference would have been that we would be penned back. It was a miserable day at office. Anyway, this has been had over and over again. Ive learnt to accept other peoples views and move on...besides, we should all move on from this particular game!!!

Its for our own good!

Nah. Ive tried, but cant agree. We were just shite. Very shite. Put that back four 20yards deeper...those forwards would still have pressed and harassed, forcing mistake after mistake. The only difference would have been that we would be penned back. It was a miserable day at office. Anyway, this has been had over and over again. Ive learnt to accept other peoples views and move on...besides, we should all move on from this particular game!!!

Its for our own good!

Lol well if you cant see it despite the video evidence then I agree we should juts move on

Lol well if you cant see it despite the video evidence then I agree we should juts move on

Haha!!! Im tempted to delve into other things on the video evidence...but I wont!!!

I do get that defending deeper against quick forwards is the 'industry standard', but the angle I am coming from is that in this particular game some key individuals made some key mistakes...and I believe that would have happened even if we sat on the edge of our box with a 8-1-1 formation. It was just an absolute dog.

I have no recollection where I read this but in order to achieve his first target we need to win our next two games. One of his claims is if you have 50 points after 27 games (we have 45 after 25) and you then average 1.94 points per game for the remaining 11 games you WILL qualify for European football (not sure if he said Champions League?).

It was from one of his many early interviews after he joined us and as it seems to be a very precise and calculated target I'll believe him. Whether we can do it with the squad we have I'm not so sure. Also not so sure I want European football again just yet, unless he can attract quality reinforcements (who have the ability to concentrate for 90 minutes......) to bolster the promise we are showing.

We are struggling to meet our current schedule - running on the rims so to speak with Naismith as our main striker

with the added burden of Europe we will pull a Swansea and Martinez might pull a Laudrup -

We must not bite off more than we can chew - our present squad is far too thin for regular top 4 PL finishes never mind Europe

We are struggling to meet our current schedule - running on the rims so to speak with Naismith as our main striker

with the added burden of Europe we will pull a Swansea and Martinez might pull a Laudrup -

We must not bite off more than we can chew - our present squad is far too thin for regular top 4 PL finishes never mind Europe

So what do you suggest.....throw a few games to make sure we finish below United and hope seventh doesn't get a Europa place?

I personally think that at the very least the Europa League would serve as a good way of getting some game time into our promising younger players (eg.: McAleny, Lundstram, Duffy), as well as for the likes of Oviedo, Gibson and Kone to help return to full fitness before being thrown back into the Premier League next season. Obviously if Martinez sees fit to give the comp a really go if we can qualify for it next season, than that could be great too.

Guest blueboy122

That would be the only benefit of that league for me. To give youngsters experience and players that need fitness game time.

If we win the thing we only get about £2 million.

UEFA need to close the gap between the CL and UEFA cup the gap is ridicuous in terms of standard of football for the most part and prize money.

Playing away in Ukraine on a Thursday and countries over the eastern part of europe just absolutely drains the player and then a match on the Sunday.

That would be the only benefit of that league for me. To give youngsters experience and players that need fitness game time.

If we win the thing we only get about £2 million.

UEFA need to close the gap between the CL and UEFA cup the gap is ridicuous in terms of standard of football for the most part and prize money.

Playing away in Ukraine on a Thursday and countries over the eastern part of europe just absolutely drains the player and then a match on the Sunday.

Works out at a potential maximum of just short of €10m (not including TV money) over the course of the season....€5m of it for actually winning the final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money

Not sure if that's the latest figures; I know there was a thing a while back about UEFA closing the gap between the two Euro competitions.