IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Or the league if you look at where Blackburn are now.

Or Leeds.

Also, look what fighting for the title and getting into Champions League in the early 2000s did to Newcastle.

We can't settle for being a mid-table team either. Look what that did to Charlton Athletic.

Basically, Everton are doomed no matter what they do. Let's just fold the team to preserve our dignity.

We are struggling to meet our current schedule - running on the rims so to speak with Naismith as our main striker

with the added burden of Europe we will pull a Swansea and Martinez might pull a Laudrup -

We must not bite off more than we can chew - our present squad is far too thin for regular top 4 PL finishes never mind Europe

This might be the strangest post ive seen in a long time. Sorry Sideliner. (nothing personal because i kinda understand the stretching us thin part)

Burden of Europe?

To add depth to the squad we need money. To get money we need to sell players which kinda stops the whole adding depth part from happening. The other way to get money and build long term is Europe. We get Europe next year we get more dosh, we get more dosh we add depth, we add depth we qualify for europe the year after. We play Europe the year after we get more dosh. We get more dosh we add more depth. Etc etc.

I see that a lot - fans of clubs saying "we don't want the Europa League as it will disrupt our PL season". I can understand that because it has hindered the likes of Newcastle and Swansea, but it's still a great chance to play some good clubs from around Europe. I find it saddening that the Europa League/UEFA Cup has become so undervalued in recent years. As I say though, I can understand why that is considering some clubs have small squads and limited resources.

As Markjazzbassist says though, it's well worth winning not only because it is a trophy but also because the winner enters the CL in the following season.

Edited by Nikica

In Africa we have a saying : "Don't stand up to a person you can't defeat sitting down."

You must first become a big dog before you start challenging the big dogs otherwise you will never become a big dog -

PeterH can you give me a few clubs that have pulled themselves up by their own bootstraps as you suggest? -

it is logical and works in theory but the hard reality bursts that bubble quickly-

the clubs that imploded after trying to box above their weight on a regular basis outnumber the self made clubs by far -

my point is that we have to build the squad over time to make a sustainable challenge if we make the step up -

unfortunately that requires money and time - and a way to keep our young talent -

the current system where the big clubs pick out the eyes of the small clubs by buying their Colemans and Shaws only perpetuates the unfairness of the big 6 ruling the roost at the cost of the others who just props them up ad infinitum.

Small club mentality Sideliner. If you dont think you can compete with the "big Dogs" you never will.

I can give you tons of clubs that play in Europe on a regular basis that benefit from it in their local leagues.

In the Nordics we have Rosenborg in Norway and Copenhagen in Denmark. They rarely progress to the knock out stages yet their balance books are the healthiest in the Nordics. And now they are neigh on impossible to beat in the league. (modern times) They were not always the richest clubs.

IFK Gothenburg had a great run in Europe during the 80's Even won it one year. They have since then capitalized on that for many years. Becoming one of the most popular clubs in Sweden.

Its not only prize money and tv money and gate money. Its a fan base grower. If we play more in Europe we find more fans in other countries. Those fans increase the likely hood of being televised more often. They also buy merchandise.

Are you honestly saying that a run in Europe wouldn't benefit the club?

If you don't play better teams often, how are you to improve?

There is a Chinese saying - Big Birds don't eat small crumbs. (if we want to be the big bird we need to start going for bigger crumbs)

There is a Swedish saying - What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts

Another Swedish one - Fortune comes to the bold

If we never stand up to a person that we cant defeat sitting down we will soon have a sore arse from all the sitting. And that is exactly the mentality DM had when it came to facing the bigger clubs. He never stood up and took the fight. RM did it straight away. If RM stayed sitting against Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea this season we would have 7 points less.

Awesome :)

Small club mentality Sideliner. If you dont think you can compete with the "big Dogs" you never will.

I can give you tons of clubs that play in Europe on a regular basis that benefit from it in their local leagues.

In the Nordics we have Rosenborg in Norway and Copenhagen in Denmark. They rarely progress to the knock out stages yet their balance books are the healthiest in the Nordics. And now they are neigh on impossible to beat in the league. (modern times) They were not always the richest clubs.

IFK Gothenburg had a great run in Europe during the 80's Even won it one year. They have since then capitalized on that for many years. Becoming one of the most popular clubs in Sweden.

Its not only prize money and tv money and gate money. Its a fan base grower. If we play more in Europe we find more fans in other countries. Those fans increase the likely hood of being televised more often. They also buy merchandise.

Are you honestly saying that a run in Europe wouldn't benefit the club?

If you don't play better teams often, how are you to improve?

There is a Chinese saying - Big Birds don't eat small crumbs. (if we want to be the big bird we need to start going for bigger crumbs)

There is a Swedish saying - What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts

Another Swedish one - Fortune comes to the bold

If we never stand up to a person that we cant defeat sitting down we will soon have a sore arse from all the sitting. And that is exactly the mentality DM had when it came to facing the bigger clubs. He never stood up and took the fight. RM did it straight away. If RM stayed sitting against Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea this season we would have 7 points less.

Great post!

Big statements, will have a lot of people just waiting for him to fail.

But as this thread is attracting 'sayings'...Chinese and Swedish examples ! Here's one I like.....

"He who says he can't and he who says he can, are both usually right".

Big statements, will have a lot of people just waiting for him to fail.

But as this thread is attracting 'sayings'...Chinese and Swedish examples ! Here's one I like.....

"He who says he can't and he who says he can, are both usually right".

Actually, it was Henry Ford - "whether you believe you or you can't, you're right" - but I agree with the sentiment.

• 2 weeks later...

biting off more than you can chew will bite you in the back side -

it is good to dream butin real life small dogs don't survive a dog fight amongst the big ones -

my point is simply - we are not big enough yet in many ways - to think we can take on the big dogs of Europe next season without getting hurt -

small squad , no quality striker or nr 10 , 3 or 4 positions without sufficient cover, - makes rotation a pipe dream - Europe without rotation is suicide -

what has Europe done for Swansea this season ? cracked them and their former manager - same shortcomings as us at the moment

which English clubs transformed themselves into a big dog clubs with a Europe ticket ?

the wounded, scarred and crippled small dogs are numerous - because they honestly believed positive thinking and the right attitude is enough to succeed - keep on dreaming-

small club mentality v wishfull thinking - depends on your point of view -

read my last 4 lines of previous post - that is where the problem lie - positive attitude won't heal those big challenges of all so called smaller clubs on a sustainable basis

biting off more than you can chew will bite you in the back side -

it is good to dream butin real life small dogs don't survive a dog fight amongst the big ones -

my point is simply - we are not big enough yet in many ways - to think we can take on the big dogs of Europe next season without getting hurt -

small squad , no quality striker or nr 10 , 3 or 4 positions without sufficient cover, - makes rotation a pipe dream - Europe without rotation is suicide -

what has Europe done for Swansea this season ? cracked them and their former manager - same shortcomings as us at the moment

which English clubs transformed themselves into a big dog clubs with a Europe ticket ?

the wounded, scarred and crippled small dogs are numerous - because they honestly believed positive thinking and the right attitude is enough to succeed - keep on dreaming-

small club mentality v wishfull thinking - depends on your point of view -

read my last 4 lines of previous post - that is where the problem lie - positive attitude won't heal those big challenges of all so called smaller clubs on a sustainable basis

At least one striker will be coming into the club in the summer.

Barkley is a quality number 10.

Europa League is one step on the ladder to building up the club profile and revenues.

Sorry, I know it's all opinions, but can't really agree with anything you've said there

No point being in the Europa unless you actually win it and have a big enough squad to deal with it.

The way this squad handled a busy December does not beam confidence into me. I think if we go into the Europa we will slip in the league rather than climb.

Liverpool without the Europa league this season have made massive progress in the league and I wouldn't write them off just yet for the title. Not with those two upfront.

Edited by MiguelCotto