IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

What is his new position now? I heard Mirallas after the Burnley game say Gerry played in a different position and I'm seeing number 9 being mentioned... didn't he play in 9 before? 9 is wings, right?

An old fashioned 9 is the central striker, the Adrian Heath with Sharp as his 10 (I'm aware Sharp wore 9 before someone chimes in) but the 9 is usually the main striker with the 10 as the hold the ball up good in the air type plaer.

That's in old money anyway, 7 and 11 would be the wide midfielders 6 and 8 the central ones. I can't keep up with it these days.

Did Deulofeu play as the false 9 for Barca B? I know he scored a shit load of goals so I was just wondering.

In terms of Ross and Geri playing as a 9 and 10 I'd actually switch them and have Ross as the 9.

Everything I could find said he was right wing during Barca B.

I think Gerry as the 9 could work we would just alter our tactics like we did yesterday. He wouldn't be a threat on headers but if we were clinical in the box we wouldn't need them anyways.

as per match thread, worth a go up front with his pace I think - one on one with a centre half it is penno/red card city...

In the seasson ronaldo scored 40 goals I think he played as a hybrid winger/striker.

MJB.... I was way ahead of it on this one.

I've often said he has great Central threat with his pace and skill and it gets him in the game more.

MJB.... I was way ahead of it on this one.

I've often said he has great Central threat with his pace and skill and it gets him in the game more.

Watch the highlights haf, he had a great match, early days but it was promising. You might have been the only one to notice this. Edited by markjazzbassist

Watch the highlights haf, he had a great match, early days but it was promising. You might have been the only one to notice this.

I think finishing is something he isn't naturally brilliant at but he can certainly create openings for himself. His feet will draw challenges and that will win penalties and free kicks in dangerous areas.

How do we think Geri and Barkley as 9 / 10 might work? Personally I'd like someone who can head the ball up there.

Put Ross in a position to win headers, he is actually very good in the air.

One of his points that people often underestimate due to him scoring occasional worldies.

Barkley is dreadful in the air Shukes he rarely jumps for a header and shies away from them.

Watch when he does.

He's not dreadful in the air at all. He rarely loses a header.

His problem is in his confidence, he either doesn't jump down to being instructed to not getting into challenges or he wins the majority that he does challenge for.

There a difference in not being good at something and just not doing it.

This is where I'm hoping our new manager will bring out the best in Ross.

Watch when he does.

He's not dreadful in the air at all. He rarely loses a header.

His problem is in his confidence, he either doesn't jump down to being instructed to not getting into challenges or he wins the majority that he does challenge for.

There a difference in not being good at something and just not doing it.

This is where I'm hoping our new manager will bring out the best in Ross.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate, he doesn't do it because he doesn't fancy it. That's not someone who is good in the air that's someone who doesn't like heading the ball. Have you ever seen him score from a header? To me if someone said tell me the worst part of Barkleys game it would be his heading.

We'll have to agree to disagree mate, he doesn't do it because he doesn't fancy it. That's not someone who is good in the air that's someone who doesn't like heading the ball. Have you ever seen him score from a header? To me if someone said tell me the worst part of Barkleys game it would be his heading.

Yes I have watched him score a few with his head, especially for coming through the ranks for England, he was one of England's weapons in the air.

But I do agree he seems to be very hesitant to go for them these days, not sure why as I do believe he is good in the air.

Still think his weakest point is by far his tackling though ;-)

I guess he could be an aguero style no 9, someone to link up and cause defenders headaches. As much as I love Rom his movement is about as good as his first touch.

What about the classic 442 with Rom and Deulofeu up front?

I did say awhile ago I think he'd do really well behind the striker. He's probably got the best pass to unlock a defence in the whole squad.

Yes I have watched him score a few with his head, especially for coming through the ranks for England, he was one of England's weapons in the air.

But I do agree he seems to be very hesitant to go for them these days, not sure why as I do believe he is good in the air.

Still think his weakest point is by far his tackling though ;-)

His weakest point is pissing about taking everyone on on the edge of his own area haha!

I don't see him playing no.9 too often, more because we didn't really have much in the way of strikers (at least ones we plan on having for the season) available. Good to see that he is capable in the role though and he could benefit from getting into that position more often. That said from the analysis I read about the game it seems Koeman will use wide players a lot more than Martinez did anyway so he will probably see a lot more action on the wings than he used to.

I noticed he was popping up on the website, twitter etc a lot during the summer and felt maybe he was showing a lot of willing and offering himself up for a few promo bits to keep his name around after a second half of the season where he'd not got a lot of game time. With that It made me think he'd be really putting in the work to impress preseason as well and I'm sure we'll see him pull out all the stops to try and show that he should be in the starting 11.

With his quick feet and excellent crossing I certainly think he's got the potential to do good things for us, hopefully he can just get the improvement in his game to make him a top quality consistant performer.

He's not a 9, he just isn't. I was hoping the days of playing players out of position were over.

I don't think he's a striker but a central attacking player he most certainly could be. In the pocket either taking on the centre halves... give and go's and linking with a striker definately an option.

Against teams who park the bus he is useful.

I don't see him playing no.9 too often, more because we didn't really have much in the way of strikers (at least ones we plan on having for the season) available. Good to see that he is capable in the role though and he could benefit from getting into that position more often. That said from the analysis I read about the game it seems Koeman will use wide players a lot more than Martinez did anyway so he will probably see a lot more action on the wings than he used to.

I noticed he was popping up on the website, twitter etc a lot during the summer and felt maybe he was showing a lot of willing and offering himself up for a few promo bits to keep his name around after a second half of the season where he'd not got a lot of game time. With that It made me think he'd be really putting in the work to impress preseason as well and I'm sure we'll see him pull out all the stops to try and show that he should be in the starting 11.

With his quick feet and excellent crossing I certainly think he's got the potential to do good things for us, hopefully he can just get the improvement in his game to make him a top quality consistant performer.

Reading a few stories....

Rom extended leave.... Niasse saying that he doesn't think Koeman likes Rom.... Deulofeu up front....

I don't think we will see Rom play in an Everton shirt again. Once this £100m Pogba money goes through the wheels will click into gear - Juve will buy Higuain with the money leaving Napoli cash rich and maybe they will go in for Rom and they give us the centre half plus £25m.

Having Deulofeu as a central player negates his awesome crossing ability - but playing him central is certainly not going to do him any harm in terms of development.