IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

To me it sounds like you have been brought up on MLS brand of football were teams no Jack shit about defending and if there isn'ttt as you said loads of goals it's shit and boring, I've seen games in this country that have been 0-0 yet have been riveting to watch because of the sheer brilliance of skill and ability on the pitch, which I understand is a hard concept for an American audience to understand.

And Jags has been involved in games like that were some of the best strikers in the world have been shut out by the brilliance and determination of his play and it's been a pleasure to watch.

There’s the Derogatory “you’re an American, how could you get football remark” !  I’ve never watched or been to an MLS game.  I started my football life playing it and then watching the World Cup.  I followed the US men’s team and got into Everton from Tim Howard.  

3 hours ago, nogs said:

And sorry, not to look like I'm picking on you, but I can't let that go - Jags has never been especially quick, Distin was rapid, especially so for a 30-plus year old. 

He was clocked the fastest player in the league a couple years back!!  

49 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He was, and it often saved him from being out of position of making last ditch tackles when the opposition look certain to score. 

That run in the derby blew me away!

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

heitinga was played as a DM, it was not a back 3.  dinosaur moyes would never do a progressive thing like a back 3, you kidding me!  but he was brought on to essentially be another defender due to moyes defend the lead at all costs (who cares about scoring anyways!) mantra.  i never said i didn't appreciate him, i just don't think he was as good as the rosy glasses look back in time people think he was.  i started following everton when he was the bedrock back there with distin and baines and coleman (or hibbert).  Baines was class all the way, i'll never dispute that, but jags and distin had a brainfart every match that was costly.  jags was the faster of the too and the more composed so he could get away with it more, but when moyes threw on that sub right at the 70' mark without fail every match (wasn't always heiteinga as dm, but it was defensive if we were protecting a lead) i was dreading it.  i hated that feeling.  knowing they would probably bang one in while we defended for our lives.  it's scarred me. you may think i'm a nut for loving the attacking football score 10-8 games, but i'll take that over those moyes defend and pray anytime.  some heartbreakers back then.

Amazing how short people memories can be. Horrible seeing Heitinga come on and us drop deep. 

For me Jags got away with it more as Distin saved his arse more often or tried to and ended up getting the blame when it was actually Jagielka's fault. Jags didn't cover Distin as much, didn't take the yellow either. Look at Terry and Cahill compared to Jagielka. He was miles behind them two. Looking at our own club he's miles behind Watson and Neville as a captain too. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Jags was in his day an excellent player when him and Lescott played together they were probably the best central defensive partnership in the league at that time, and Jags was the organiser in what was a very good defensive pairing.

I can't believe that people only saw him at that time as a just above an average player he was much more than that.

When Lescott was here him and Yobo were our best partnership. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

To me it sounds like you have been brought up on MLS brand of football were teams no Jack shit about defending and if there isn'ttt as you said loads of goals it's shit and boring, I've seen games in this country that have been 0-0 yet have been riveting to watch because of the sheer brilliance of skill and ability on the pitch, which I understand is a hard concept for an American audience to understand.

And Jags has been involved in games like that were some of the best strikers in the world have been shut out by the brilliance and determination of his play and it's been a pleasure to watch.

Is that even necessary to say? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Guess this is just you being you 😂

The fact you didn’t rate any of these 3 speaks volumes, I swear you wouldn’t recognise a good footballer if he kicked you in the bollocks

Best transfer window in modern history. 

6 hours ago, barryj said:

Shocked at some of the views here! I thought he’d be universally applauded for all his efforts, commitment, charity work and loyalty. If we had the chance to resign him as a 24 year old I’d snap your hand off. Although he’d be worth a lot more now than the 4 million we paid. Bill Kenwright sums him up nicely as “one of Everton’s greatest servants” and a player who “embodies the spirit and values of the Blues”

There will always be a small minority (and Pete ) who disagree with anything ( everything in Petes case) but you only need to look at the reaction to this news on social media, the press , the players past and present and the reception he got in his last game at Goodison to see what kind of player he really was 

If he ends up coming back to Goodison with Sheffield United next season I’m 100% certain he will get a rousing reception 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Amazing how short people memories can be. Horrible seeing Heitinga come on and us drop deep. 

For me Jags got away with it more as Distin saved his arse more often or tried to and ended up getting the blame when it was actually Jagielka's fault. Jags didn't cover Distin as much, didn't take the yellow either. Look at Terry and Cahill compared to Jagielka. He was miles behind them two. Looking at our own club he's miles behind Watson and Neville as a captain too. 

Amazing how blind some can be because they dislike a player, let alone a poor memory 

17 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Guess this is just you being you 😂

The fact you didn’t rate any of these 3 speaks volumes, I swear you wouldn’t recognise a good footballer if he kicked you in the bollocks

Wonder how long it took to get the shot lined up to appear that Pienaar was chained to Moyes?

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

In the context of how I said it yes it was necessary to say and I standby it, if I’ve in someways up set you  then I apologise , but I fail to see how?

Not upset. Just think the generalization is pretty short-sited. You're using someone's nationality as an argument against them, which in my opinion, is pretty poor.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

There’s the Derogatory “you’re an American, how could you get football remark” !  I’ve never watched or been to an MLS game.  I started my football life playing it and then watching the World Cup.  I followed the US men’s team and got into Everton from Tim Howard.  

A derogatory your an American remark let me give you a British reply to that accusation fuck off your talking bollocks😀

It’s a fact that football in the USA is considered boring by the majority because there isn’t enough goals or goal action, so much so that they even wanted to make up there own rules to encourage more goals to try and appease the American public, that’s why I said what I said not as a personal put down to you but as a general view of football in the states. 

2 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Not upset. Just think the generalization is pretty short-sited. You're using someone's nationality as an argument against them, which in my opinion, is pretty poor.

I’m not I’m using the general feeling about football in the states, and most Americans take on it that unless there’s a hat full of goals every game there not interested, and they can’t see the art and ability of 0-0 game so they dislike football for that reason. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not I’m using the general feeling about football in the states, and most Americans take on it that unless there’s a hat full of goals every game there not interested, and they can’t see the art and ability of 0-0 game so they dislike football for that reason. 

I don't think you can lump MJB into the category of "most Americans."

For the record, I agree with you on Jags. I think he's been brilliant for us.

1 minute ago, sibdane said:

For the record, I agree with you on Jags. I think he's been brilliant for us.

Ok that’s fair enough I could have put it in better terms when saying what I said, but it was Marks statement of the 10-8 games that prompted me to say what I said, which I find to be the general view of football in America by the majority and because the reality is football isn’t like that the majority don’t like football.

But again I reiterate it wasn’t meant to come across as a slur to Mark or his ethnicity. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Ok that’s fair enough I could have put it in better terms when saying what I said, but it was Marks statement of the 10-8 games that prompted me to say what I said, which I find to be the general view of football in America by the majority and because the reality is football isn’t like that the majority don’t like football.

But again I reiterate it wasn’t meant to come across as a slur to Mark or his ethnicity. 

I get what you mean, and you're not far off about the majority of Americans' feelings towards football to be honest.

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Pete I have to disagree it was Jags and Lescott that were the best pairing hands down in my opinion, I loved Yobo but he was guilty of losing concentration and making some right howlers not that I would hold that against him, he was good in the air at both ends but when the ball was on the ground he could sometimes make a hash of it. 

7 minutes ago, sibdane said:

I get what you mean, and you're not far off about the majority of Americans' feelings towards football to be honest.

To be fair football was always going to struggle against the home grown sports like Basketball, Baseball, American Football even Ice Hockey, there part of your culture through generations supported by millions, so a tough task for football to break into the main stream which is understandable. 

1 hour ago, sibdane said:

Is short-sited the online version of short-sighted?

you mur’cuns know nothing :P 

43 minutes ago, StevO said:

Apart from my aunt, uncle, cousins, Steph Curry, Kobe, Richard Rawlings, Leonardo Di  Caprio, Quentin Tarantino, Sarah Rafferty, Landon Donovan, Tim Howard, Ivanka Trump and MJB. 

(apologies for Ivanka, I’ve just always found her hot)

Neg for the trumpite. She’s her father through and through, without looking like the tango monster fucked a decaying ribbed condom

1 hour ago, sibdane said:

Indeed.  Personally do not agree with his views on Jags but MJB is not "most Americans".  This forum is for the "Thinking" Evertonian so membership already has you on the right path, haha.

50 minutes ago, sibdane said:

*clears throat*

EXCUSE ME?

To be fair... America is huge and home to many.  Most American's do not particularly care for most American's so it is hardly a surprise when someone from somewhere also shares that view, haha.