IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

Last year though wasn't it?

Yeah he only had 12 months left but he wasn't going anywhere.

Don't get me wrong I am glad he is still around because he can still do a job and he's a great character in the dressing room, just think that at his age we could have let his contract run down without worrying about him going

Fair enough if he is still doing the business and his legs haven't gone then offer him an extension at Christmas to give him peace of mind

Yeah he only had 12 months left but he wasn't going anywhere.

Don't get me wrong I am glad he is still around because he can still do a job and he's a great character in the dressing room, just think that at his age we could have let his contract run down without worrying about him going

Fair enough if he is still doing the business and his legs haven't gone then offer him an extension at Christmas to give him peace of mind

Sheff Utd were sniffing though- this guarantees us bargaining power at end of the season.

Glad he's signed also.

Only had 12 months left! Fancy letting the club captain go down to 12 months! Bloody Koeman. Bloody Moshiri. Bloody...bloke who writes for the Echo. And that suntan bloke. He can piss off as well.

I'm not surprised he hasn't signed it, he'll be feeling forced out. Unwanted. Rejected.

Oh what, wait, he has......?! Oh.

(Joking lads, joking!)

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Nothing mentioned anywhere, but I wonder when the captain is going to get a testimonial. Would be great if it could be against Sheffield United next pre-season.

Jags mentioned it on The Everton Show. He said Baines is due one as well and they've been joking that they should have a joint testimonial. He also said it's down to the club whether he's offered one or not, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't offer him one (and Baines) because he's a brilliant professional during his time here. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Gets stick because he doesn't get in ref's faces but showed yesterday that he is every inch a captain of Everton Football Club. The difference between his performance and Williams' last week was absolutely huge. He threw himself in front of things, he was constantly talking to Keane next to him and organising the whole defence. 
Our whole defence looked calm and knew what they were doing yesterday and, for me, the biggest reason for that was Phil Jagielka.
This has to be his last season for us but the influence, and quality, he still has, should not be underestimated or ignored.

Totally agree, he is still our best CB but at his age he can’t be playing every week

47 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gets stick because he doesn't get in ref's faces but showed yesterday that he is every inch a captain of Everton Football Club. The difference between his performance and Williams' last week was absolutely huge. He threw himself in front of things, he was constantly talking to Keane next to him and organising the whole defence. 

Our whole defence looked calm and knew what they were doing yesterday and, for me, the biggest reason for that was Phil Jagielka.

This has to be his last season for us but the influence, and quality, he still has, should not be underestimated or ignored.

Watching him yesterday he looked fresh sharp and unflappable, been a great servant for us I've got hopes he stays and coaches for us in the future.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Agreed, but the one that comes in when he doesn't play simply cannot be Ashley Williams. 

Agree completely and I think we’ve got to replace him with Johnny Evans in the summer - will be available for £3m when WBA go down. I think Man C have moved on now and maybe a London move wouldn’t appeal to a family man at his age. He may not be the most glamorous of signings but Jag’s importance should not be underestimated and, for me, Evans fit the bill as the perfect like for like replacement with character etc.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Agree completely and I think we’ve got to replace him with Johnny Evans in the summer - will be available for £3m when WBA go down. I think Man C have moved on now and maybe a London move wouldn’t appeal to a family man at his age. He may not be the most glamorous of signings but Jag’s importance should not be underestimated and, for me, Evans fit the bill as the perfect like for like replacement with character etc.

I agree. Without doubt the right character, taxis aside!

6 hours ago, Bill said:

Would be interesting to see how many clean sheets we've  had when Jags has played, the defence always looks more competent when he's there.

Don't be soft Bill, our ability to keep clean sheets or not is entirely dependent on whether Gana's playing; do you know nothing:rolleyes:?

• 1 year later...

I’m gutted he still has so much to offer whether that be playing 8 or 9 games a season or maybe working with players on the training pitch, I hope it was his decision and he didn’t feel forced out. 

I’m sure his association isn’t over with this club and he will be back in some capacity when he hangs his boots up, until then thanks for everything and good luck in your next challenge.