IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

wasn't foulds already playing league 1? wonder if he will come good or be another Martinez bust.

I think it was only a handful games but I'm not sure. Definitely wouldn't be looking to him as an option in any case. Pennington is the much better option - he's had loan spells at a few clubs and has played a few games at PL level as well. So, like I said, unless we send him out on loan, I'd give him a crack.

• 1 month later...

How did he do today? Worth starting him again do you think?

did well, but honestly wasn't really tested. they had some set pieces (he did well) but bar that it was just a light day at the office. Baines was injured and Mori replaced him so I could see us going to 3 at the back for Hull if Baines is still out. More likely holgate comes back (unless he wants Jags Williams Mori instead).

• 1 month later...

i always enjoy the interviews because you can tell he doesn't take himself too seriously. he always deflects praise with some comedic touch, like the goals comments or talking about the hard time the guys in the dressing room give him.

• 3 months later...

its obvious from koeman's comments that he likes phil for 2 reasons: natural leader, and fitness levels. seems he likes him as a captain and the guy is always in shape (which phil eludes to in working hard in the offseason to be at peak fitness). phil states that he is ready to help no matter the role. that is key. he knows he's not a guaranteed starter but is willing to be on the bench and play cup matches, we need players like that.