IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

call me whatever you want but other than being a nice guy and a professional he was nothing more than an above average defender.  keane this year was already at his level or better for me.  sad to see a nice guy and club servant go, but i won't miss him as a player.

Agree with the first half, but don't think we've kicked on with Keane. 

Should never have been made captain and it was unprofessional at best for Moyes to declare him as club captain when the ginger fucker was not gonna be the one managing the team. Captain wise he was a step down from Neville. Player wise he's never been the best out of the two centre halves. Person wise he was probs the nicest but nice doesn't win you anything. 

Glad he's going because he's not good enough. Much like Tim Howard and Cahill, he's been comfortable picking up a wage here for longer than he should thanks to loyalty rather than ability. 

I think it’s the best move for both parties but I don’t agree with the average defender quote. And I don’t agree with the Cahill shout either. They both have earned the right to contribute. Whether that’s on the pitch or behind the scenes. Jags is one of the last of his type. Loyal to a club for 12 years and happy with his lot. 

18 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not sure how long you’ve been supporting Everton but Jags in his prime was a hell of a lot more than an above average defender

yeah him and distin were real worldies, i remember the dread the minute we went up 1-0 in the 72nd minute every match knowing moyes was about to bring on Heitinga and we'd have to watch them 3 try and defend for our lives.  I can't remember how many times they scored in the 90th minute and i was deflated.  thank god those days are gone.

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah him and distin were real worldies, i remember the dread the minute we went up 1-0 in the 72nd minute every match knowing moyes was about to bring on Heitinga and we'd have to watch them 3 try and defend for our lives.  I can't remember how many times they scored in the 90th minute and i was deflated.  thank god those days are gone.

Not long then

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I think it’s the best move for both parties but I don’t agree with the average defender quote. And I don’t agree with the Cahill shout either. They both have earned the right to contribute. Whether that’s on the pitch or behind the scenes. Jags is one of the last of his type. Loyal to a club for 12 years and happy with his lot. 

Compare the points we get with him to without. Remember comparing him with Heitinga and Yobo and both come out better. Can't be bothered going through all the stats again so just looked at our best season with him 13/14, we averaged 1.69 points per game with him (26 matches) compared to 2.33 ppg in the 12 without him. Stones was just a teenager and was a level above. We should have aimed higher than Jagielka years ago (same as we should have tried to upgrade on Howard too).

Cahill was brilliant in his day, but it was painful watching him play further back once his legs had gone a bit. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

call me whatever you want but other than being a nice guy and a professional he was nothing more than an above average defender.  keane this year was already at his level or better for me.  sad to see a nice guy and club servant go, but i won't miss him as a player.

Ever worked alongside someone with experience and knowledge that you don’t have?

Ask an Arsenal fan what they would give for some above average defenders. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m pretty certain none of that happened, especially under Moyes as he had an exceptionally well drilled back line and didnt often switch to a back three. Moyes’s teams very rarely conceded late either.

Distin’s last season was poor, but your opinion on Jags Just doesn’t make sense. I’ve watched this guy in the flesh for the last 12 years, I don’t see how any Evertonian doesn’t appreciate him.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m pretty certain none of that happened, especially under Moyes as he had an exceptionally well drilled back line and didnt often switch to a back three. Moyes’s teams very rarely conceded late either.

Distin’s last season was poor, but your opinion on Jags Just doesn’t make sense. I’ve watched this guy in the flesh for the last 12 years, I don’t see how any Evertonian doesn’t appreciate him.

You will always get some people trying to rewrite history , that back 4 of Coleman Jags Distin and Baines were superb and in Moyes last season had the 4th best defensive record in the Prem

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Agree with the first half, but don't think we've kicked on with Keane. 

Should never have been made captain and it was unprofessional at best for Moyes to declare him as club captain when the ginger fucker was not gonna be the one managing the team. Captain wise he was a step down from Neville. Player wise he's never been the best out of the two centre halves. Person wise he was probs the nicest but nice doesn't win you anything. 

Glad he's going because he's not good enough. Much like Tim Howard and Cahill, he's been comfortable picking up a wage here for longer than he should thanks to loyalty rather than ability. 

Guess this is just you being you 😂

The fact you didn’t rate any of these 3 speaks volumes, I swear you wouldn’t recognise a good footballer if he kicked you in the bollocks

44 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Guess this is just you being you 😂

The fact you didn’t rate any of these 3 speaks volumes, I swear you wouldn’t recognise a good footballer if he kicked you in the bollocks

Baines was the only one good enough, should've been second choice for England behind Cole. That said we should've replaced him a few years earlier. 

Moyes went stale and was royally found out since leaving us. Jags as a player is average and as a captain is poor. Pienaar had tons of ability but no brain to apply it, would've been great at 5 aside. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

heitinga was played as a DM, it was not a back 3.  dinosaur moyes would never do a progressive thing like a back 3, you kidding me!  but he was brought on to essentially be another defender due to moyes defend the lead at all costs (who cares about scoring anyways!) mantra.  i never said i didn't appreciate him, i just don't think he was as good as the rosy glasses look back in time people think he was.  i started following everton when he was the bedrock back there with distin and baines and coleman (or hibbert).  Baines was class all the way, i'll never dispute that, but jags and distin had a brainfart every match that was costly.  jags was the faster of the too and the more composed so he could get away with it more, but when moyes threw on that sub right at the 70' mark without fail every match (wasn't always heiteinga as dm, but it was defensive if we were protecting a lead) i was dreading it.  i hated that feeling.  knowing they would probably bang one in while we defended for our lives.  it's scarred me. you may think i'm a nut for loving the attacking football score 10-8 games, but i'll take that over those moyes defend and pray anytime.  some heartbreakers back then.

44 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

heitinga was played as a DM, it was not a back 3.  dinosaur moyes would never do a progressive thing like a back 3, you kidding me!  but he was brought on to essentially be another defender due to moyes defend the lead at all costs (who cares about scoring anyways!) mantra.  i never said i didn't appreciate him, i just don't think he was as good as the rosy glasses look back in time people think he was.  i started following everton when he was the bedrock back there with distin and baines and coleman (or hibbert).  Baines was class all the way, i'll never dispute that, but jags and distin had a brainfart every match that was costly.  jags was the faster of the too and the more composed so he could get away with it more, but when moyes threw on that sub right at the 70' mark without fail every match (wasn't always heiteinga as dm, but it was defensive if we were protecting a lead) i was dreading it.  i hated that feeling.  knowing they would probably bang one in while we defended for our lives.  it's scarred me. you may think i'm a nut for loving the attacking football score 10-8 games, but i'll take that over those moyes defend and pray anytime.  some heartbreakers back then.

To me it sounds like you have been brought up on MLS brand of football were teams no Jack shit about defending and if there isn'tt as you said loads of goals it's shit and boring, I've seen games in this country that have been 0-0 yet have been riveting to watch because of the sheer brilliance of skill and ability on the pitch, which I understand is a hard concept for an American audience to understand.

And Jags has been involved in games like that were some of the best strikers in the world have been shut out by the brilliance and determination of his play and it's been a pleasure to watch.

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You either have a very short memory or don't understand what makes a top class defender. Jags had two attributes I don't think Keane has from what have seen - leadership and a bloody minded determination to stop the opposition scoring at all costs. He was never the quickest but would mix it physically with anyone and read the game fantastically. He made Lescott, who had much better natural attributes, look world class because of his organisational abilities. Like Lescott, Keane needs his hand holding. He has time to prove me wrong but I just don't see him replacing what Jags has given us over the years. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Because we don't concede late goals anymore 🙄

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Baines was class all the way, i'll never dispute that, but jags and distin had a brainfart every match that was costly.  jags was the faster of the too and the more composed so he could get away with it more

And sorry, not to look like I'm picking on you, but I can't let that go - Jags has never been especially quick, Distin was rapid, especially so for a 30-plus year old. 

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Couldn’t think of a better word, sorry! Short term or goldfish memories would be better I guess 

Just thought it was a bit insulting to dementia sufferers that’s all 😉

Edit: I am only joking MJB/PeteO. Everyone’s entitled to their own views.... however wrong you might be!