IGNORED

Phil Jagielka

Think I've got different expectations of a captain to most of you. A captain should lead by example, not with his mouth. Jags will probably be first to admit that he's not the best defender around, but he conducts himself with dignity and always gives his all. That's what makes our club special; dignity. It can be a detriment sometimes, and an uncelebrated strength most of the time. A big part of the reason I love this club is that the squad hasn't succumbed to the the lime light, attention seeking antics that others have. I love our integrity.

Post of the season.

Think I've got different expectations of a captain to most of you. A captain should lead by example, not with his mouth. Jags will probably be first to admit that he's not the best defender around, but he conducts himself with dignity and always gives his all. That's what makes our club special; dignity. It can be a detriment sometimes, and an uncelebrated strength most of the time. A big part of the reason I love this club is that the squad hasn't succumbed to the the lime light, attention seeking antics that others have. I love our integrity.

That clip of him consoling Barkley shows he's not fit to be captain. He's limp.

Its not just shouting at the ref, it's protecting your teammates. He's last man to a scene. That guy who stands with the girls when it all kicks off in the pub.

I thought jags was unlucky for the first pen the second was silly but I love Williams and jags at the back. I wonder who koeman has lined up for jags replacement long term? Holgate? I can see mori getting sold but when he's not playing the price goes down. I'd deffo keep him mind

Just watching it again Bolasie's very poor clearance played a part, then Seamus contributed by inadvertently knocking the ball back to Silva after Jags first tackle was successful. He probably shouldn't have swung his leg because Barry was there as cover but a comedy of errors, not purely down to Phil.

That clip of him consoling Barkley shows he's not fit to be captain. He's limp.

Its not just shouting at the ref, it's protecting your teammates. He's last man to a scene. That guy who stands with the girls when it all kicks off in the pub.

That clip of him consoling Barkley show exactly why he is, and should continue to be, our captain. I guess you want a captain who doesn't give a shit about his team mates. That is not the traits of a leader.

That clip of him consoling Barkley show exactly why he is, and should continue to be, our captain. I guess you want a captain who doesn't give a shit about his team mates. That is not the traits of a leader.

He's weak. A soft their not booing you. He should be more vocal more direct. A bit of passion. Tell him to put his head up, yell at him or put his arm round him and have a word. Not a pat on the arse and a throw away one line.

He's weak. A soft their not booing you. He should be more vocal more direct. A bit of passion. Tell him to put his head up, yell at him or put his arm round him and have a word. Not a pat on the arse and a throw away one line.

For all we know he may have continued his chat with Barkley once they got in the changing room. The clip was only a few seconds long after all.

Telling someone to man up doesn't always work. Not every person or player falls into that category. Some people need a little more attention than others. The type of personality Barkley is, being told to man up would probably have a negative effect. He is more likely to start questioning his own position in the squad and whether other players think he is man enough to handle the pressure, rather than just manning up.

Telling someone to man up doesn't always work. Not every person or player falls into that category. Some people need a little more attention than others. The type of personality Barkley is, being told to man up would probably have a negative effect. He is more likely to start questioning his own position in the squad and whether other players think he is man enough to handle the pressure, rather than just manning up.

true, but he but 1 player. Even so, I prefer Jags "lead by example" approach and when it comes to hharassing refs, I'm proud that we follow the laws of the game on that one.

true, but he but 1 player. Even so, I prefer Jags "lead by example" approach and when it comes to hharassing refs, I'm proud that we follow the laws of the game on that one.

i'm not encouraging him to be an ass to the refs, but to be more like Barry and voice your opinion more often when things go wrong. Otherwise the refs think you're fine with the officiating and they're doing a good job. "no news is good news". barry's on them letting them know when they've done wrong, so they know he's not happy and therefore they're going to be more careful to not continually have him at them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...