IGNORED

Arsenal (H)

pete0

There are two things that I'm alarmed about after watching us for the first two games of the season.

1. The way our levels absolutely fall off a cliff. Last week we played some brilliant stuff for 45 minutes and then completely disappeared. Yesterday we did it for 60 minutes and looked quality, but then we plummeted and looked abysmal. Is it a lack of fitness? Poor concentration levels? Both? Martinez seems to think it's the former, and it does look that way to me too, so it should be able to be remedied.

2. We're shipping goals at a worrying rate. Conceding is acceptable when you can say the opposition has opened you up but we've conceded 4 soft goals, with 3 of them coming in the final 10 minutes of a game when we're in a leading position. When the opposition are anywhere near our box it honestly feels like they're going to score every single time. I have no confidence in them whatsoever. Jags seems to have forgotten how to head the ball (Distin never has been able to), Distin looks panicked at the sight of a football and more often than not just hacks at the ball, putting us under pressure. People go on about us having such a good record defensive record last season but I was as worried back then about our defending as I am now - I was so surprised at us having a good record because we looked shaky defensively all season long.

Point number 2 is my feelings exactly

Bring on Chelsea!!! Another 90 minutes is another step closer to full fitness.

All the questioning of tactics, subs etc is a bit daft this early in the season. We lose intensity? Fitness. We lose concentration? Fitness. We make mistakes late on? Fitness. We get slack marking, tackling, tracking late on? Fitness. All the little errors that peeps are pointing out in the closing stages of the last 2 games all point to lack of fitness. I'm not trying to be a smart arse (go on, someone say it!), but it's so obvious that we are not 90 minute fit as a whole team. So at the moment, for me, everything else is irrelevant. If it's still happening in 5 games time, then I'm a worried man.

To start suggesting that the tactics are wrong or that we can't defend under Martinez(or close out teams/whatever term you want to use) based on 2 games is wrong.

Again, look to last season rather than 2 games. 15 clean sheets. A record for us that over the last 20 years that has only been matched once (95-96) and beaten once (2008 I think).

Comfortable in the second half? They were all over us second half. We were sloppy they came at us constantly wave after wave.

In what way where we ever comfortable in the second half? They were all over us!

We were at around 85% pass completion rate after 60 mins... Hardly giving the ball away all half or for the whole game as MC implied in the post I quoted. Once they did score they were on top, never disputed that, but at the same time they didnt exactly create much which is hardly backs to the wall. Up until the goal we were frustrating them well.

Bailey you live on another planet mate.

The evidence in both games says otherwise mate.

Shearer on MOTD, "I thought Everton for seventy five or eighty minutes ....were absolutely brilliant".

Arse had periods of pressure for sure but, "constantly wave after wave" and "all over us" is over the top.

Exactly. I wouldnt quite agree with Shearer as we werent even brilliant in the first half. We did well enough without really being in top gear.

Shearer seems to think we were and Bailey by the looks of things. The truth is we weren't

Never said it all, as I mentioned in my first response in this post to Paddock.

We were at around 85% pass completion rate after 60 mins... Hardly giving the ball away all half or for the whole game as MC implied in the post I quoted. Once they did score they were on top, never disputed that, but at the same time they didnt exactly create much which is hardly backs to the wall. Up until the goal we were frustrating them well.

The evidence in both games says otherwise mate.

Exactly. I wouldnt quite agree with Shearer as we werent even brilliant in the first half. We did well enough without really being in top gear.

Never said it all, as I mentioned in my first response in this post to Paddock.

We did do ok up until about 60 mins, Arsenal were frustrated, kicking us and whining at the ref but from 60 mins on we dropped deeper and deeper inviting them on, giving them the ball all the time in our final third. When we did win it back it was just kicked straight back to them and back they came again.

We should have put Besic on and reenforced the midfield and had someone in their with fresh legs to break the play up and stop them in our final third. Osman by that stage was a passenger.

Would you of made the same subs as he did? It's ok saying it was individual players and to a degree you're right . We did have loads back , how Ramsey managed to get infront of virtually our whole side is beyond me but with better subs those situations probably wouldn't of arisen. If we'd just closed shop a bit instead of inviting them on because wevwere so deep we would have won the game.

I'm not getting dragged into the bobby debate. It makes me laugh that this time last year against arsenal home and away, he was a tactical genius.

He brought the kind of football that I hadn't seen at goodison for up to twenty years +... He also had buys like Lukaku and McCarthy. I see you don't mention these in your ridicual of his buys.

We'll probably beat Chelsea next week and the forum will again turn on it's head. It's what you get with our fans these days.

Its not the whole forum, its 2-3 individuals. Im still stoked that Roberto is our guy. I trust him 100%

We were at around 85% pass completion rate after 60 mins... Hardly giving the ball away all half or for the whole game as MC implied in the post I quoted. Once they did score they were on top, never disputed that, but at the same time they didnt exactly create much which is hardly backs to the wall. Up until the goal we were frustrating them well. The evidence in both games says otherwise mate. Exactly. I wouldnt quite agree with Shearer as we werent even brilliant in the first half. We did well enough without really being in top gear. Never said it all, as I mentioned in my first response in this post to Paddock.

When the fuck did I say we were giving the ball away all half? Please quote it for me.....

Go on then Bailey, why did we concede the 2 goals and drop points? Was it not because we were completely gased the fuck out because we played with a narrow three man midfield and our wide players were seemingly told not to come back and help out?

I'd love to know your reasons.

Edited by MiguelCotto

That's exactly how I felt leaving the ground. Gutted.

So did I. My 7 year old was sobbing when the second one went in. Boticed a massive difference in him this season already he's really really passionate and involved.

Mfir him to be sobbing like that (he's never before) I think shows just how hard it was for everyone to take.

Ha ha, this thread is hilarious. We were 2 goals to the good against arsenal and should have been more. I'd sooner trust Martinez to address the issue of concentration and tiredness than I would have Moyes to get us in that position in the first place.

Just chill people. We had pienaar injured after 10 minutes, osman is no replacement. Lukaku needs sorting out. Loads of positive things. Just relax.

Edited by Hafnia

http://www.therussianlinesman.com/blog/evertons-late-goal-horror-show-exposes-martinezs-poor-pre-season-preparation/

Somes it up for me , the complete shambles of a preseason is now coming back to bite us on the arse.

The squad just do not look ready for the season and none of the players (apart from McCarthy ) look like they have 90 minutes in them

I was actually looking at Naismith in the first half and he looked absolutely fucked to poor fella. Lukaku and Mirallas were failing to pick up players either side of him when their keeper had the ball. He was just chasing a dead end every time.

Totally agree with fitness levels. They're nowhere near there!

Mirallas was a handful all game. He tracked back when he could. Same can't be said for a Mcgeady. So right now I'd say Martinez got a few things wrong.

Put aside your bias toward Mirallas for a moment. Yes, he tracked back, and yes he displayed impressive energy. However....he is so selfish. Why did he attempt that shot from the halfway line? As I remember, it would have been a fast 3 on 3 sitaution, and Mr. Ego had to take a stupid shot. Also, the team was lined up for cross when he decided to go for glory himself with a free kick attempt. This selfishness, together with his tendency to get caught offside, too often undermines the positives he brings. We now play as a team, not a bunch of individuals, and Mirallas needs to respect that.

I thought McCarthy had a great game. But both goals came from the left.

I'm glad your opinion is turning towards him. Yesterday, for me, he was man of the match. He did so much off the ball, he won many loose balls, and he contantly hassled the Arsenal midfield. I have no idea how he manages to cover so much ground, especially when so many others on the team are running out of steam after 80 minutes.

Put aside your bias toward Mirallas for a moment. Yes, he tracked back, and yes he displayed impressive energy. However....he is so selfish. Why did he attempt that shot from the halfway line? As I remember, it would have been a fast 3 on 3 sitaution, and Mr. Ego had to take a stupid shot. Also, the team was lined up for cross when he decided to go for glory himself with a free kick attempt. This selfishness, together with his tendency to get caught offside, too often undermines the positives he brings. We now play as a team, not a bunch of individuals, and Mirallas needs to respect that.

That's really unfair. When his free kicks fly in do you call him selfish then? Just the fact you have mentioned he tracked back proves he is a team player who is doing his duties as a team player.

He's our only creative player of any kind and the type of player who can change the game with a flash of brilliance. His work rate has really improved and I've seen him many a time selflessly lay a pass on when he could have went for goal himself.

Sorry Steve but that's a ridiculous thing to say and I'm not biased towards him.

That's the whole point of Mirallas though; he gives us something different.

He does frustrate but he's worth it.

That's the whole point of Mirallas though; he gives us something different.

He does frustrate but he's worth it.

There are times, yes, when his approach pays off. I can imagine, though, that there are times when his teammates are pulling their hair out (other than Howard, that is). And I know Martinez likes his players to express themselves and enjoy themselves - but that has to be done in the context of the team as a whole.

There are times, yes, when his approach pays off. I can imagine, though, that there are times when his teammates are pulling their hair out (other than Howard, that is). And I know Martinez likes his players to express themselves and enjoy themselves - but that has to be done in the context of the team as a whole.

We have our workers, plenty of them, but Mirallas is our one true flair player. He will make things happen out of nothing, and that's what he's there to do. We shouldn't be looking to criticise him for doing his job.

I'm sure his team mates do tear their hair out because of him sometimes, I know I do, but I'm equally as sure they love it when he pulls the side out of the shit when they weren't capable of it themselves - remember his winning free-kick against Villa? Was it selfish of him to shoot then? Nope.

He's just a player you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by Romey 1878

I'll say it again. The only time the Mirallas haters will get the shit out if their eyes is when he's gone.

I couldn't care less if he's greedy that's his game. He can't be that greedy because he had the most assists and chances created out of anyone else in the squad last season.

He needs a new contract, he's the type of player to go in to his final year and not sign again. We need to know now.

Think our success rate for free kicks from that distance would be much higher for the shot on goal option rather than the cross. He was inches wide; was definitely the right choice.

Really? Because I thought he had a really good game and caused Arsenal lots of problems.

I was obviously watching the same game as you as I thought he was a thorn in Arsenals side all game. He was full of running and was constantly trying to spark something. He had the Arsenal back line on their toes all game.