IGNORED

Has Martinez got it wrong?

Lowensda

The more I think about that match after the young boys match I get furious. How can he not translate a big European win to a win over a championship side? How can there be no tactics anymore, it's like we're brazil 78 just throwing 11 out there and hoping for the best. The sideways passing has gotten to me, especially in the final third. What happened to shots on the outside of the box? Mirallas, barry, Barkley all had a couple each last year, haven't seen but maybe one shot a game now.

He's got to learn that premier teams put 11 behind the ball and tiki taka barca aren't gonna beat that physical type of play. Shit even Chelsea do that! Gotta pull out the old tactics book and learn some attacking football. This possession bullshit leads to so few attacks, it's anemic. The guys are scared to attack the box. At least with moyes baines would bomb, link with pienaar and them two would attack the box with a pass or cross and hope someone was in there. Now we just piddle around and hope a miracle happens. Ross has regressed, shit I'm angry. We better whoop some Swiss ass this Thursday before the remove Roberto campaign starts.

He promised beautiful football, we got robbed.

Surely Roberto must realise what is going on?

I can't believe he is that naive or is he just happy to carry on picking up that fat 5 year contract!!

I am sadly losing faith in the man I thought would take us to the next level and bring some good times back.

This is so depressing.?

Edited by Sherpa

This season has been like amateur time and it all started with piss poor preparation from possibly the worst pre season I have seen.

The seeds were sewn then and we have since reaped what we deserve from that.

Compare that to last season playing the likes of Juventus, Valencia and Real Madrid and playing well and we were flying into 2013/14.

This season we got trounced by the likes of Celta Vigo and Padderborn and couldn't even beat Tranmere!!

As my old Grandad used to say "fail to prepare , prepare to fail"!

Making me very angry this topic!!

Edited by Sherpa

This season has been like amateur time and it all started with piss poor preparation from possibly the worst pre season I have seen.

The seeds were sewn then and we have since reaped what we deserve from that.

Compare that to last season playing the likes of Juventus, Valencia and Real Madrid and playing well and we were flying into 2013/14.

This season we got trounced by the likes of Celta Vigo and Padderborn and couldn't even beat Tranmere!!

As my old Grandad used to say "fail to prepare , prepare to fail"!

Making me very angry this topic!!

I totally agree , I cant ever remember a more shambolic pre-season in all the years Ive followed Everton and it certainly played a part in the first few games of the season. It was obvious the players were not fit enough when we surrendered leads late on to Leicester and Arsenal and I don't think we have ever recovered from that sluggish start

If we survive this year I would give him the summer to sort this shit out but if we are still playing this boring sideways shite and results haven't improved dramatically come October then I think he has to go

Was talking to a mate yesterday, an Ipswich Town supporter, I asked him if he had seen the games on Sunday. He saw both and said the difference between the way Everton play and the way Southampton and Liverpool played was light years. He couldn't believe how slow Everton were in passing the ball and getting the ball forward. In contrast, both Southampton and Liverpool passed the ball at pace and got forward quickly at every opportunity. There have been some posts on here about opposition teams 'parking the bus'. They don't park the bus, its just that we are so slow in building an attack that they have plenty of time to get all their players behind the ball. This retaining possession is fine but as Guardiola said 'there is no point in retaining possession if there is no shot at goal at the end of it'.

Was an OG yesterday.

I don't just look at stats, yes I think they are useful.

I look at the player, he looks bloody clumsy is the best way I can describe him. He isn't the most co-ordinated I have seen, in fact pretty far down the list. Sometimes he looks ok though. I just don't think he is gonna be the player we need him to be.

I actually think the striker we need will probably emerge from the under 21's.

Here we go again, Billy Bullshit lays the entire blame squarely on the shoulders of Lukaku, his poster boy Martinez was the one who paid Big bucks!

This is the ' Has Martinez got it wrong ? ' thread.

Most of the woes associated with Everton FC this season are down to Martinez, he decided to go to the world cup as a pundit, he sets out the pre-season routine, he made the signings, he picks the team, he decides the tactics.

It's been mentioned above as to how last season was just the opposite to this one, the Moyes factor has to play a part.

Sure we are still in Europe and I'd love to win it, and to be honest we can, but it's league football that is the life blood of any club.

We aren't just having a bad season results wise, our fooball at times has been awfull, I kinda feel sorry for the players, Gibson can play through balls, Barkley also, so stop with the side ways tip tap, that's pretty sometimes but we have two of the best over lapping full backs in the country so use them.Coleman thrives on that type of football, a goal in Europe and Man of the match against Liecester, so mabye things are slightly on the improve, but there's so much more to get right.

Can Martinez change things, that was the question, I think he needs to take a long hard look at himself this summer, he has the players to change things, some really good young players.

He has Fuc%ed it up this season, but I think he has a chance, but he needs to be honest with himself and admit his mistakes.If he can't, then 1/3 of next season will show us.

You best hope he doesn't put out the side you said you wanted then! It may win but it wouldn't whoop any side.

Haha fair enough! My point romey is more pointed at Roberto. I'm happy to play the same 11 every match with a couple rotations, but he bought a big squad and said we needed all these players to compete. Well he never plays them. So my 11 is just play the f'ing lads on the bench, they're eating wages and we might find a decent player in one of them. If he wants to just play starting 11 all the time, why sign them? Does me in romey, really wasting the team money.

It's like a haf analogy. Here's my best shot. It's like he was so poor with Wigan that once he hit the transfer budget lottery with Everton he's blew it all because he's not used to managing size able wages and transfer fees.

I totally agree , I cant ever remember a more shambolic pre-season in all the years Ive followed Everton and it certainly played a part in the first few games of the season. It was obvious the players were not fit enough when we surrendered leads late on to Leicester and Arsenal and I don't think we have ever recovered from that sluggish start

If we survive this year I would give him the summer to sort this shit out but if we are still playing this boring sideways shite and results haven't improved dramatically come October then I think he has to go

This pretty much my view on it. See how this year finishes and give him the summer to revamp the squad a little bit. If it's not a significant improvement on this season, then he'll need to go.

Couldn't agree more Dunc. Top post.

I get the impression he's now out of his depth and a lot of the backroom staff he's brought in are too. All season we never seem to get anything from set pieces so what exactly do they do at Finch Farm? Seriously angry now as looks like club morale has been destroyed, players don't look as together as in previous seasons.

The problem I have is his total disassociation with what is happening in games.

He constantly praises players saying they are "Special" , " Phenomenal " etc and he's seems blind to the fact we are in trouble, his recent comment " we don't look at the table " just infuriates me!!

I do and I am worried just like most Evertonians, two league wins in 14 is a disgrace and most managers would be gone with that record.

So please Wake up Roberto !!

The problem I have is his total disassociation with what is happening in games.

He constantly praises players saying they are "Special" , " Phenomenal " etc and he's seems blind to the fact we are in trouble, his recent comment " we don't look at the table " just infuriates me!!

I do and I am worried just like most Evertonians, two league wins in 14 is a disgrace and most managers would be gone with that record.

So please Wake up Roberto !!

I can only see it ending one way. With Roberto sacked. However I just hope Kenwright doesn't leave it too late. Whether that be this season or next

I can only see it ending one way. With Roberto sacked. However I just hope Kenwright doesn't leave it too late. Whether that be this season or next

I agree with this, for all Moyes's issues we were never really in a relegation scrap so Kenwright just left well alone.

This though is different Roberto can't seem to engender any response from his players.

How many times this season have you really believed we can turn a game around??!!

The next 3 games are both massive and difficult, and possibly some of the worst to face in our predicament.

If we don't get at least 4 points we are really in the mire, I will always be positive and keep the faith but I genuinely believe we will only get one point after which his position may be untenable.

Edited by Sherpa

I agree with this, for all Moyes's issues we were never really in a relegation scrap so Kenwright just left well alone.

This though is different Roberto can't seem to engender any response from his players.

How many times this season have you really believed we can turn a game around??!!

The next 3 games are both massive and difficult, and possibly some of the worst to face in our predicament.

If we don't get at least 4 points we are really in the mire, I will always be positive and keep the faith but I genuinely believe we will only get one point after which his position may be untenable.

After twenty-six games in 03/04 we were sixteenth with twenty-six points and finished the season seventeenth.

After twenty-six games in 03/04 we were sixteenth with twenty-six points and finished the season seventeenth.

Martinez took over a side that finished 6th and regularly finished in the top 8.

Moyes took over a side that was relegation fodder for years. I'm just not feeling Martinez. I can't see the light at the end if the tunnel. We look to be on a downwards spiral. You can accept a poor run. But the bad form has gone on for far too long to be considered poor form. There's something massively not right.

Edited by MC11

I know what you are saying but even then you always felt we could fight our way out of any trouble.... Can you honestly say that now?

And that was the season that we completely stopped after attaining enough points to be safe.... Something which never happened again.

was going to mention this. Said it at the start of the season, I expect a "second season blues", though I admit not to this extent. I expected us to have woken up in December but it seems the summer hangover is worse than expected. Moyes first season he had the same impact; a breathe of fresh air, keep things similar and try to introduce his style. Then collapse.

I'll admit, I underestimated the poor preseason thinking "well, we're losing against poor opposition after a World Cup, nothing to worry a bout" but Martinez continued with the boring over-passing game (which I've made no secret of how much I detest it) and showed that's he's not so different from Moyes; stubborn, stupid subs, has his favourites.

However, this season is still a transition. The issue is Roberto has tried to change too much, too soon and its taken him too long to change his ways. I've seen enough in the first season to show he can make us a great team, IF he evolves.

The Leicester game showed one promise - we had chances (to miss). If we create the opportunities we did against Leicester in other games, goals and wins will come. 8th is still on for me.

Edited by Matt

I know what you are saying but even then you always felt we could fight our way out of any trouble.... Can you honestly say that now?

And that was the season that we completely stopped after attaining enough points to be safe.... Something which never happened again.

Yes.

was going to mention this. Said it at the start of the season, I expect a "second season blues", though I admit not to this extent. I expected us to have woken up in December but it seems the summer hangover is worse than expected. Moyes first season he had the same impact; a breathe of fresh air, keep things similar and try to introduce his style. Then collapse.

I'll admit, I underestimated the poor preseason thinking "well, we're losing against poor opposition after a World Cup, nothing to worry a bout" but Martinez continued with the boring over-passing game (which I've made no secret of how much I detest it) and showed that's he's not so different from Moyes; stubborn, stupid subs, has his favourites.

However, this season is still a transition. The issue is Roberto has tried to change too much, too soon and its taken him too long to change his ways. I've seen enough in the first season to show he can make us a great team, IF he evolves.

The Leicester game showed one promise - we had chances (to miss). If we create the opportunities we did against Leicester in other games, goals and wins will come. 8th is still on for me.

Lol step away from the glue!

Yes.

I love your optimism and really hope it happens but in my nearly 40yrs supporting this great club I have rarely felt so down.

I know we have had poor teams and seasons in that time, but after a great 13/14 and some good acquisitions pre season I felt that this may be a great one for us.

I just get the feeling Roberto knows he is in over his head at present.... Hope I am way off the mark.

We have such a good back 4, we need Someone to use that as a strength. Jags stones Coleman baines, the only teams with better are maybe man city and Chelsea. If we played quick attacking football and were able to counter with Barkley mirallas Lennon and Lukaku, we could really be nice. Back 4 defends and we hit them on the counter. We have the tools, just we pass sideways all game and play slower than Stevie pienaar runs.