IGNORED

Aaron Lennon

• 4 months later...

My gripe with Lennon has always been that he doesn't have much of an end product but he's assisting and scoring now and long may it continue!

Before he's gotten this run in the side I've been baffled as to why he had such little game time until now, because he was a big influence on our form picking up at the back end of last season. Now he's showing just why he should have been getting played a hell of a lot more.

If this niasse is as hard working as is made out opposition defenders will hate us. The likes of Cleverley, mccarthy, lennon, Besic don't let them breathe.

We have the makings of a team that can play a very high pressing game.

Barkley seldom tries to press or defend, even less than Lukaku. That would kill our high pressing game aims.

Barkley seldom tries to press or defend, even less than Lukaku. That would kill our high pressing game aims.

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Of course he presses, watch any game and you will see it. He does not do this as much as McCarthy, Barry or Besic because he is not a defensive player and has to be open to recieve that ball to lead the counter.

I think being obsessed with pressing is dangerous, if you do this all the time it looses its impact as teams adapt to it, it pulls your team out of shape making it easier for teams to exploit the space you leave behind, and it is extremely tiring. I prefer what Leicester do, which is focused pressing, they will press but they will do this at certain times, one of the players will decide to press and the rest of the team then follow suit. They have done it to devastating effect this season.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the limitation that we have with Lennon is that whilst he's added goals recently, and his excellent industry and tracking back are proving to be essential in Martinez' defensively frail team, he just doesn't create - which as a winger ought to be his primary objective.

Can't possibly fault his effort because it is almost without parallel and he's shored things up since replacing Deulofeu, but he has little creativity and no final ball and so all of the chances that Rom used to have from the right have completely dried up. Fair enough, crosses have been fired across the box, but never accurately or weighted well enough for Rom to be able to reach them.

It's likely why he was surplus at Tottenham because in all other respects he's about as good as anyone else they've got. If we were better organised at the back, I'd have Deulofeu back in straight away. Maybe Lennon would work well as the right winger in a 5 man midfield if we went to 3 at the back and had more scope to add more creativity into the midfield?

Don't want this to sound like I don't rate him as a player because I do, but in the realms of considering what and who we need to take us beyond where we are at present then he'd become a squad player as he doesn't have the quality to keep up with the likes of Lukaku and Barkley at the next level of performance that we need.

He's probably not alone in that respect, as Cleverley and this season's McCarthy are also looking like limitations (McCarthy seems more lack of effort though perhaps, pulling back from challenges that he used to make, losing the ball easily etc., and could also be long term injury related)

I think the limitation that we have with Lennon is that whilst he's added goals recently, and his excellent industry and tracking back are proving to be essential in Martinez' defensively frail team, he just doesn't create - which as a winger ought to be his primary objective.

Probably Deulofeu is going to start the next few years there, but I think Martinez is giving him and Stones a good lesson:

Work your socks off or there will be other almost as good player willing to do it while you warm the bench.

Stones = Funes Mori.

Deulofeu = Lennon.

Both were not as tough and as professional, Stones due to some off-the-field antics and soft defending and Deulofeu for not tracking back. Funes Mori was there, and Lennon is there, training every single day and giving their all, and they are delivering good performances and goals.

We criticise Martinez when he sticks with the same, we criticise him to rotate and we criticise him to buy / sell almost every player. But at least I think he's fair and right with Lennon. Lennon has been watching Deulofeu play for half a season and now he looks like he's on top form so why would not he deserve his run on the side? Last week he was great despite the loss (2-3) and yesterday he was again working well.

Can't possibly fault his effort because it is almost without parallel and he's shored things up since replacing Deulofeu, but he has little creativity and no final ball and so all of the chances that Rom used to have from the right have completely dried up. Fair enough, crosses have been fired across the box, but never accurately or weighted well enough for Rom to be able to reach them.

It's likely why he was surplus at Tottenham because in all other respects he's about as good as anyone else they've got. If we were better organised at the back, I'd have Deulofeu back in straight away. Maybe Lennon would work well as the right winger in a 5 man midfield if we went to 3 at the back and had more scope to add more creativity into the midfield?

Don't want this to sound like I don't rate him as a player because I do, but in the realms of considering what and who we need to take us beyond where we are at present then he'd become a squad player as he doesn't have the quality to keep up with the likes of Lukaku and Barkley at the next level of performance that we need.

He's probably not alone in that respect, as Cleverley and this season's McCarthy are also looking like limitations (McCarthy seems more lack of effort though perhaps, pulling back from challenges that he used to make, losing the ball easily etc., and could also be long term injury related)

What a clueless post

Don't disagree with anything that you've said Kant, but remain of the opinion that Aaron is okay for the now, but not for the future.

Same applies to one or two others also.

edit: cheers MC11, appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by Baba

Just for you Matt.... He wants to drop Lennon..... Enough said.

and I disagree with him but honestly, you piss me off! 70% of the time you can make a decent post, 30% I agree with and the rest I don't and that's fine. It's debate. But you litter the decent posts with shit like this. It's annoying!

I thought Lennon put some really good balls into the box yesterday we just had noone following them up.

It appears you can be in the best form of your career and still get slated, I'm glad I was a pretty crap player I think I'd end up in tears if I'd played that well yesterday and read that post!!

Edited by smeghead1

and I disagree with him but honestly, you piss me off! 70% of the time you can make a decent post, 30% I agree with and the rest I don't and that's fine. It's debate. But you litter the decent posts with shit like this. It's annoying!

It's called being "brutally" honest. It's clear that results have turned around since Lennon has come in. Why on earth would you drop him? It's working.

To come on and even suggest that it's just pie in the sky.

I hardly agree with you... But just jump your posts instead of picking up on them.

It's called being "brutally" honest. It's clear that results have turned around since Lennon has come in. Why on earth would you drop him? It's working.

I hardly agree with you... But just jump your posts instead of picking up on them.

To be brutally honest, that last line makes no sense whatsoever. What does it mean?

What a clueless post

Baba's post was well constructed to be fair and whilst I agree with it in parts, for me the impact that Lennon has on the team is immense.

I love Deulofeu - in reality and i've said this more times than people would want me to "he should have 5+ more assists" because of the quality 6 yard box zippers he does.

The fact is this team is too fragile in terms of players working off the ball, Barkley, Rom, Gerry, Kev, all talented no doubt but lets just say they don't give us much in the way of pressing the opponents.

Lennon is a tonic for the team, simple as that. Cleverley also is very good at it.

I hadn't intended to cause contention, and was very keen also to point out the positives in Lennon, of which there are many. I'd also only suggested that I'd start others ahead of him based upon a scenario where his attributes were no longer key - which at present is not the case and he is deservedly surely one of the first names on the team sheet right now, on merit.

The suggestion was based upon a situation where we no longer rely as heavily on the forwards getting back all of the time, and also on the assumption that he'll not continue to contribute goals as much as he has been since getting back into the team. He'll always be a menace to the opposition but the time might come when without goals and assists, this might not be enough to meet our expectations.

I'm genuinely sad that I've caused so much conflict here and had I thought that might be the case then I'd have not posted.

I hadn't intended to cause contention, and was very keen also to point out the positives in Lennon, of which there are many. I'd also only suggested that I'd start others ahead of him based upon a scenario where his attributes were no longer key - which at present is not the case and he is deservedly surely one of the first names on the team sheet right now, on merit.

The suggestion was based upon a situation where we no longer rely as heavily on the forwards getting back all of the time, and also on the assumption that he'll not continue to contribute goals as much as he has been since getting back into the team. He'll always be a menace to the opposition but the time might come when without goals and assists, this might not be enough to meet our expectations.

I'm genuinely sad that I've caused so much conflict here and had I thought that might be the case then I'd have not posted.

dont be apologising, youve said nowt wrong - throw some stick back, MC can take it, he has to as he throws it out enough.

We have conflict on here every day Baba mate, don't give it a second thought! Sometimes it can get a bit out of hand but this is barely a ripple on the pond (sometime cesspool) that is ToffeeTalk. Keep posting!