IGNORED

Aaron Lennon

I still dont think Deulofeu is ready so i suspect that we will see Mirallas and Lennon on the wings.

I still see a player in McGeady somewhere. I hope he will show himself soon.

McGeady would be a star in any league where the defenders don't press as hard as they do in the Premiership and one where the game moves a tick or two slower.

Guest rusty747

I think we need Lennon for the work ethic and tempo that he sets. He plays for the team, not himself. While he may not be the complete package himself, he improves the performance and effectiveness of other players such as Coleman (who knows cover will be there if he bombs forwards) and our strikers who benefit from more, and better, chances being created. He also helps our defence out by tracking back, tackling and generally setting a great example.

And over 38 league games plus, hopefully, 2 decent cup runs, there will be injuries and a need to rotate the squad.

Edited by rusty747

I think we need Lennon for the work ethic and tempo that he sets. He plays for the team, not himself. While he may not be the complete package himself, he improves the performance and effectiveness of other players such as Coleman (who knows cover will be there if he bombs forwards) and our strikers who benefit from more, and better, chances being created. He also helps our defence out by tracking back, tackling and generally setting a great example.

And over 38 league games plus, hopefully, 2 decent cup runs, there will be injuries and a need to rotate the squad.

What he does for Coleman is the main point I have in mind, but I want to ask everyone if we need the depth. I mean if we were competing in the Europa League then yeah.

I don't know if I can assess Deulofeu's ability at the moment to completely write him off.

What he does for Coleman is the main point I have in mind, but I want to ask everyone if we need the depth. I mean if we were competing in the Europa League then yeah.

If no Lennon, we have Mirallas, Deulofeu and Pienaar as our only three true wingers. We saw enough of Naisy and Barkley floundering out there last year and it doesn't seem Cleverley's forte either. As much as I love old Ossie and think he's still got some gas left in him, he's more of a back-up #10/CDM in my mind than any competition for a winger. If we're consistently playing a 4-2-3-1 as we have been virtually all of Martinez's reign, we need more than three wingers to fill depth, Europa League or not.

That doesn't account for the fact that he will push all three of those for places with his work rate and his consistency in tracking back, not to mention what he did for Coleman to revive the latter part of his season. With Mirallas and Deulofeu both picking up knocks before the middle of August, I say we need Lennon and 3 more.

Pienaar isn't a winger. He is also never fit.

Where does McGeady play then if he's not a winger?, may not have impressed in his time at Goodison but is a winger, and still at Everton unless Chelsea are buying him as their new team doctor.

Pienaar's never fit, but he hasn't been played anywhere but on the wing since Martinez came in and generally featured on the left wing under Moyes, too, no?

I was hoping by omitting McGeady I could wish him away. Really, I remembered him right after I pressed the post button but figured even with McGeady, the premise still stands. He's just not good enough for the first team.

Pienaar is a different type of wide player than McGeady or Mirallas etc. He does a lot of his work with his back to goal, 1-2s & triangle passes. However he is still a wide player. You will almost always find him hugging the wing under Moyes & Martinez.... Quality player when fit.

Edited by MC11

Pienaar is a different type of wide player than McGeady or Mirallas etc. He does a lot of his work with his back to goal, 1-2s & triangle passes. However he is still a wide player. You will almost always find him hugging the wing under Moyes & Martinez.... Quality player when fit.

Yep, I think it's no surprise how much we struggle without him.

I think MC knows what I mean, he plays wide but he isn't a winger.

He plays out there to link up with the full back, the midfield and the forward.

McGeady, for example, is a winger. He is out there to be running past people and getting crosses into the box. Different style of player.

You will find Cleverley playing out wide under Martinez. Not to play as a winger, but to link up player.

For further tactical confusion also see David Beckham. Played out wide but was neither of these types, but more a combination of the two. Linked up play, got crosses in, never beat a man.

I honestly think Cleverley has been brought in as a direct replacement for Pienaar, so we can try to make that left hand side effective again. It's a shame Baines got injured straight away.

Not gonna lie StevO.... sounds like semantics. There are different kinds of strikers, CBs... hell... even GK's. doesn't change the fact that Pienaar is a winger and will be started in place of wingers in Martinez's (or Moyes') sides when healthy.

As far as Cleverley... I certainly hope he's not a direct replacement for Pienaar. May be a bit stronger on the ball with the same workrate, but will never have the IQ or agility of Pienaar in my mind.

Not gonna lie StevO.... sounds like semantics. There are different kinds of strikers, CBs... hell... even GK's. doesn't change the fact that Pienaar is a winger and will be started in place of wingers in Martinez's (or Moyes') sides when healthy.

As far as Cleverley... I certainly hope he's not a direct replacement for Pienaar. May be a bit stronger on the ball with the same workrate, but will never have the IQ or agility of Pienaar in my mind.

If its just semantics then why do we keep talking about a number ten? why don't we just say he wants another midfielder?

Playing as a winger is very different to being a wide midfielder, maybe I just look into tactics more than most.

Lets throw an analogy in here, you own a pink scarf. Is it pink or is it red? They are similar, but they are also very different. But you love that pink scarf, and you don't like it when I tell you its red. Because its not red is it?

Again, I've said all summer Cleverley has been brought in to play wide left, no one has to believe me, but Martinez had the same idea last weekend. With our attacking full backs we don't need a winger on the left, we need someone to link up play. If Galloway plays left back, we need a winger out there to offer the threat instead of the full back.

If its just semantics then why do we keep talking about a number ten? why don't we just say he wants another midfielder?

Playing as a winger is very different to being a wide midfielder, maybe I just look into tactics more than most.

Lets throw an analogy in here, you own a pink scarf. Is it pink or is it red? They are similar, but they are also very different. But you love that pink scarf, and you don't like it when I tell you its red. Because its not red is it?

Again, I've said all summer Cleverley has been brought in to play wide left, no one has to believe me, but Martinez had the same idea last weekend. With our attacking full backs we don't need a winger on the left, we need someone to link up play. If Galloway plays left back, we need a winger out there to offer the threat instead of the full back.

Won't work, no cars mentioned.

I believed you. He was always coming in to fill that left attacking berth Pienaar has left open. He played him there for Wigan. Me and Romey mentioned it in his thread when we were linked with him.

It still pisses me off now.