IGNORED

Michael Keane

10 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I do wonder if West Ham or maybe Leicester come in for Keane during this window; think he’ll certainly be available with 3 at the back seemingly being out system of choice and Keane being so shaky in this system.

Think Leicester will sell Fofana and then come for him.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

My thought exactly - possibly West Ham when Diop goes to Fulham too.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Think Leicester will sell Fofana and then come for him.

I think he would suit West Ham as they play deep and don't go chasing the ball but I think he would be a mess at Leicester!

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

I do wonder if West Ham or maybe Leicester come in for Keane during this window; think he’ll certainly be available with 3 at the back seemingly being out system of choice and Keane being so shaky in this system.

I admire the optimism in the previous 3 or 4 comments but is a top half table team really going to come in for Keane?

34 minutes ago, StevO said:

Godfrey and Mina are both out for a while, I don’t think we can afford to have no one on the bench. 

Like it not but Coleman and Mykolenko will be used as a third centre back when required. It wouldn’t surprise me if a youngster (probably Welsh) got game time with Coady and Tarkowski helping them through too.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Like it not but Coleman and Mykolenko will be used as a third centre back when required. It wouldn’t surprise me if a youngster (probably Welsh) got game time with Coady and Tarkowski helping them through too.

That’s a big leap of faith you’re taking there. I’ll leave you to that one alone I think. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Pretty sure the only times he's been out because of some other reason than suspension or dropped was for a skull fracture and his dad dying (I believe).

He's never played less than 30 league games for us, despite the criticism he gets. His form is like a yo yo, much like the rest of the team but especially hard at CB with so much chop and change, but "saving face" couldn't be further from the truth of his character. He always gives his all, it's just that 30-40% of the time that's not been good enough.

Good assessment of Keane Matt, he never downs tools always gives his all, and when it’s going well he’s very good, unfortunately when it’s going wrong he’s very poor, and most naturally forget the good but remember the bad. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Pretty sure the only times he's been out because of some other reason than suspension or dropped was for a skull fracture and his dad dying (I believe).

He's never played less than 30 league games for us, despite the criticism he gets. His form is like a yo yo, much like the rest of the team but especially hard at CB with so much chop and change, but "saving face" couldn't be further from the truth of his character. He always gives his all, it's just that 30-40% of the time that's not been good enough.

I didn't challenge his character. I was referring to the club not being 100% honest with media/fans about why players are not in squads. Happens all the time on football for a variety of reasons. Sometimes players are dropped privately other times it is more transparent to send a message.

There was def a game during our run in where he missed (not The one he was suspended for) and I believe it was blamed on a stomach bug. We had a makeshift defence out. I have no doubt he personally wanted to be out there...and it might be that he was genuinely unwell. It is also plausible that he was dropped due to our form as a team at that time.

what prompted my comment is that I had not heard or seen anything from Frank about why Keane did not play (even as a sub when we could have used 5). I may have missed it. 

1 minute ago, Goodison Glory said:

I didn't challenge his character. I was referring to the club not being 100% honest with media/fans about why players are not in squads. Happens all the time on football for a variety of reasons. Sometimes players are dropped privately other times it is more transparent to send a message.

There was def a game during our run in where he missed (not The one he was suspended for) and I believe it was blamed on a stomach bug. We had a makeshift defence out. I have no doubt he personally wanted to be out there...and it might be that he was genuinely unwell. It is also plausible that he was dropped due to our form as a team at that time.

what prompted my comment is that I had not heard or seen anything from Frank about why Keane did not play (even as a sub when we could have used 5). I may have missed it. 

My apologies, I misunderstood you then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On his day, he's a very capable defender, and he's scored a fair few important goals for us. I don't like the comment in that report that fans won't miss him: His decline had much to do with dwindling confidence, and past managers are at least partly to blame for that, but it seems there's no road to recovery at Goodison. If he does leave, I wish him well and thank him for his many positive contributions over several seasons.

Sooner he and Mina go the better. We are wasting so much in wages on these 2. Hopefully we can get a couple of attackers in, even on loan for the summer window.

In a way the World Cup is a blessing for us by not playing so many games before the summer window.