IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Home)

markjazzbassist

If we had beaten Bournemouth last week, then I wouldn't be so gutted about this draw but that's 4 points dropped from us really. Kone was gassed and bringing on Mirallas or even Lennon was the way to go. The few times Baines had the ball pushing forward he found some pinpoint passes, as shown at the end. But Martinez did him a disservice by having a gassed Kone paired up next to him. Barry had some poor moments at the end of the game, wouldn't have even minded seeing Gibson come on for him to provide more attacking options. Happy for Lukaku, he got his deserved goal but fuck me we could and should be 6th on the table right now...

Kone didn't have the life in his battery to hit Lukaku for the final goal there. His legs couldn't keep up for the past half hour. He worked his ass off. He was knackered though and should've been subbed. What's with Roberto's failure to utilize our subs? I realize we were pressing them hard and we were looking dangerous, but there were subs that could have made us more dangerous with fresh legs. Furious.

What a good game though. Exhilarating stuff. We can actually say that we were unlucky today. We were extremely unlucky. Sad thing is that our lack of luck will cover up the glaring mistake Roberto made by not utilizing our bench. I'm not trying to bash Roberto. I've got no vendetta against him. I believe in his tactics. I just can't wrap my head around how even I can notice problems on the pitch and tactical solutions, yet for some reason he resists things clear to all of us.

Robbed.

absolutely. world class save and hit the woodwork 3 times. Howard kept us in it despite having next to nothing to do.

Brilliant atmosphere too, credit to the fans. A large part of that comes from us playing very exciting football where we were millimetres away from being 4-1 at the end. Hard to take but we gave it a reeeeeally good go. Pardew channeled his inner Moyes tonight, we battered them but they defended really well and got seriously lucky

mid table team my arse. think theres a lot of frustration in some of the posts which is understandable but we attacked and attacked and attacked. Reminded me of Robertos first season: so exciting but so unlucky. we play like that each week, we'll be top 4

100% agree. Enjoyed that other than the result. Think we are a joy to watch.

Just to digress. Watched it on Sky, they are absolute crap. On five occasions they were showing repeats of earlier plays while the game was going on. They nearly missed the Palace goal, they returned to live play just as the ball arrived in the box from the corner. I gave my MOM to Barry but it could easily have gone to Howard.

So frustrating. Just couldnt get through. But how many times have we said that? And that's what will stop us being top 4 and see us fighting around the 5th-7th positions...that lack of attacking 'killer instinct'. Too many dummies, shimmies, extra touches, pauses, all in and around their box. On the plus side...Lukaku, Barkley and Geri will keep learning and getting better in and around the opposition box.

Geri was frustrating. Many of his final balls and passes were useless.

Also frustrating to concede a carbon copy goal that we've seen so often.

And...and...for the first time, I am actually frustrated with Martinez and his lack of subs. When your attacking players have run out of ideas and/or energy, bring another one on to see if he can add something else. To have only brought Baines on is criminal for me.

Feels like a defeat. Feels very frustrating just now. But at the same time, we played some excellent football. Created many chances, were unlucky to hot the framework 3 times. We did a lot right tonight. It just didn't happen.

Entertainment gives you no goals - neither does possession

i would rather win ugly than draw beautifully

In our play, we did everything to win this that we could. Hitting the post once and crossbar twice on clear goals is simply unlucky. Add to that a few excellent saves. This is just one of those games where the ball didn't bounce our way. We played them off the park and the score line should reflect that. It's not as if we outplayed them and had no clear chances or that we were wasteful with our final ball. We were clinical. We were just horribly, horribly unlucky.

We can make all sorts of excuses and give all sorts of compliments but the fact of the matter is that this is a game we should have won -

enough possession and chances to take all 3 points -

just like the Bournemouth game

could have and should have won games places you firmly mid table in my books

For all of you who hope to glean something prophetic about how tonight proves that we aren't a top side because we don't have killer instinct, can't break teams down, etc., please forget it. This match proved nothing about us not being good enough, not having the right desire, etc. All it proved is that sports can often be a story of strange bounces. The result wasn't fair. The score line is deceptive. And the gods were not with Everton tonight.

I'm surprised Roberto didn't bring on Osman for Kone in the 91st minute. Maybe Osman would've hit the late winner.

Don't think I possess sufficient footy expletives to express my disdain for Roberto's refusal to use his "deep squad."

There will be players sitting there thinking WTF is going on here. Naismith, Mirallas & Lennon. They must be pissed off.

Just to digress. Watched it on Sky, they are absolute crap. On five occasions they were showing repeats of earlier plays while the game was going on. They nearly missed the Palace goal, they returned to live play just as the ball arrived in the box from the corner. I gave my MOM to Barry but it could easily have gone to Howard.

Barry was beat by Dann for their goal and nearly conceded a penalty early in the second half. Also let them in on a break when he mis controlled a simple ball from a throw in. Don't think he was anywhere near MOM.

The most frustrating thing is that I'm not even mad RM made no subs. I'm more mad at his refusal to ever change the basic structure of the squad. Our two sitters were not necessary tonight, and as great as TC was, we could have benefited from playing both Lukaku and Kone up front with Mirallas on the left and Geri on the right and Barkley slotted in behind. We're a month from the window and unless Mirallas gets a run of starts, he's gone and we lose one of our 5 most creative players.

After the Bournemouth draw, this feels like a serious, serious loss, especially because we attacked so goddamn well all game.

Also, if RM doesn't start putting in work on set pieces... holy hell.

Edited by nyblue23

Just in case anyone missed it. It's worth repeating, especially given the source

Lovely touch Rom. Great stuff.

Seriously, it's wonderful that Rom is proving his critics wrong. He's really putting in the effort. 50 in 100 is a major achievement.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Just in case anyone missed it. It's worth repeating, especially given the source

Seriously, it's wonderful that Rom is proving his critics wrong. He's really putting in the effort. 50 in 100 is a major achievement.

Rom has been so good this season, I almost think we have underappreciated his efforts. He's a hell of a player and I'm delighted he's ours.