IGNORED

Maarten Stekelenburg

53 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

exactly.  look at spurs they have michel vorm, city have joe hart, most teams have the same as we do.

Difference is, I would be happy with the likes of Vorm, Cech, Heaton, Bravo, Mignolet etc as back up. If Stek has to play for any extended period of time he will cost us goals. Then see how happy you are to have him as our number 2.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Difference is, I would be happy with the likes of Vorm, Cech, Heaton, Bravo, Mignolet etc as back up. If Stek has to play for any extended period of time he will cost us goals. Then see how happy you are to have him as our number 2.

Any half decent 2 will quickly push for a move if he's not on the back end of his career, though agree.

We need 3 first team ready GKs - right now we have two. This reminds me of the horror thoughts I had a few years ago when we were a run of bad luck from having either Mason Springthorpe or Jindrich Stanek in the net.

4 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Any half decent 2 will quickly push for a move if he's not on the back end of his career, though agree.

We need 3 first team ready GKs - right now we have two. This reminds me of the horror thoughts I had a few years ago when we were a run of bad luck from having either Mason Springthorpe or Jindrich Stanek in the net.

what about jan mucha?

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Most back up goalies will cost you goals though. It's not like it's viable to have a second pickford to the ready.

With much needed improvement elsewhere in the squad I'm not really going to bat an eyelid at this contract. Onwards and upwards to other signings.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I’d still much rather have given a youngster the chance like Hewlet

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Not think Hewlet is better playing every week for the U23s than being on the bench? They won’t have him doing both. 

They also might just not rate him that highly. 

Mark's head is going to explode:P.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Most back up goalies will cost you goals though. It's not like it's viable to have a second pickford to the ready.

With much needed improvement elsewhere in the squad I'm not really going to bat an eyelid at this contract. Onwards and upwards to other signings.

Maybe and maybe not. Pope didnt cost goals last season, nor Adrian over Hart. Cabellero but Cech probably wont this season. McCarthy wasnt for Forster.

The difference between Pickford and Stek is vast. Stek wasnt a good enough back up for Southampton before we signed him and its madness that he was out number 1 for a short while. 

I appreciate that we have other areas of concern, I have said the same, but I really do not want to have to rely on this guy! 

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

No need to, we've got Hewelt.

Anyone even see that kid play either?

got to be careful with keepers. If Pickford is injured Stek is the only one who should be stepping in. Anyone remember Ian Turner and John Ruddy coming into the team when Howard was injured? 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

got to be careful with keepers. If Pickford is injured Stek is the only one who should be stepping in. Anyone remember Ian Turner and John Ruddy coming into the team when Howard was injured? 

This. Silly not to have three senior level keepers. Last time we only had two, our cover was either Mason Springthorpe or Jindrich Stanek - Mason Springthorpe ended up not even making it professionally and Stanek is currently in the second tier in the Czech Republic... The whole youth crap goes out the window in relation to having cover at Keeper. 

7 hours ago, StevO said:

No, but I do remember Steks performances