IGNORED

Maarten Stekelenburg

If/when Sunderland get relegated in May, I think Pickford would be available for around £10-14 million. Robles is contracted until June 2018 and Stek until June 2019. If I was manager I would sign someone new, keep Robles and offload Stekelenburg at the end of the season but the problem is that Stekelenburg has no transfer value while Robles does - the only other alternative is to have three senior goalkeepers and possibly loan one out.

I'd be disappointed if Stekelenburg was still first choice at the beginning of next season. While he was exceptional against Tottenham and truly exceptional against Manchester City, he was directly to blame for goals at Burnley and Chelsea. He's a good keeper and seems like a very professional bloke but I don't want him as number 1 because of his inconsistency, long history of injuries and age.

If/when Sunderland get relegated in May, I think Pickford would be available for around £10-14 million. Robles is contracted until June 2018 and Stek until June 2019. If I was manager I would sign someone new, keep Robles and offload Stekelenburg at the end of the season but the problem is that Stekelenburg has no transfer value while Robles does - the only other alternative is to have three senior goalkeepers and possibly loan one out.

I'd be disappointed if Stekelenburg was still first choice at the beginning of next season. While he was exceptional against Tottenham and truly exceptional against Manchester City, he was directly to blame for goals at Burnley and Chelsea. He's a good keeper and seems like a very professional bloke but I don't want him as number 1 because of his inconsistency, long history of injuries and age.

We shouldn't wait until the summer. Get a number one in January and fuck Stek right off. Be ruthless, no messing about.

We shouldn't wait until the summer. Get a number one in January and fuck Stek right off. Be ruthless, no messing about.

He's on a £1.65m/year contract for another 2 and a half years - we'd need to pay over £4 million to release him from the contract which we wouldn't do. No club would be willing to pay a transfer fee for him. So if we really wanted to get rid of him, we'd need to find a club that would be willing to loan him and pay his wages.

He's on a £1.65m/year contract for another 2 and a half years - we'd need to pay over £4 million to release him from the contract which we wouldn't do. No club would be willing to pay a transfer fee for him. So if we really wanted to get rid of him, we'd need to find a club that would be willing to loan him and pay his wages.

I don't care about paying him off to get rid of him. He can sit on the bench or out in the wilderness, as long as he's not between the sticks that's good enough for me.

Like I said earlier, be ruthless.

Don't forget Robles was playing for a dodgy Defence at the lowest point in the club under Martinez. It shouldn't matter but it does.

They are both number 2's in truth but Stek isn't going to improve whereas Robles might. That's enough for me to give him the spot.

Spot on

I'd love to see Joels apps vs our win rate compared to Stek and Howard over the same number of appearances, just to have and idea. Would be no where near conclusive, just curious.

With a defence who collectively went absent without leave is it any wonder the goalie had a bad game.

It was a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario , was the keeper that bad because to a man the entire defence was shite. Or were the defenders shite because the keeper was having an absolute nightmare?

I don't think the defenders were happy with the system either

Yeah pad I know, players and goalies especially get megged every week, i just can't believe how many times he was left on his own with no cover, it could have been 6 or 7 nil.

Sorry but no keeper should be getting megged from that distance like that. I get it when they're rushing out on a 1 on 1 and spreading themselves but I've seen similar efforts playing for The Cabbage on Buckley Hill by whereI live, it was shockingly bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He has to be dropped. The last time we won a game was with Robles in net. Robles will have to play until January when we can bring a new goalie in.

Unless we really do have designs on Joe Hart and then it will probably be next season.

Either way Stekelenberg is done. Those 2 penalty saves look like a life time ago and he is prone to making some serious blunders. Robles isn't a great keeper and is a bit of a flapper but I don't recall him making so many absolute howlers as Stekelenberg.

Can't hurt can it.