IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

If I were in the defence I would be going to pick him up from the airport as he offers such a solid shield for them. 

He does and he doesn't.

For me, you want to use Gana as a one man wrecking machine, tackling everything in sight. 

If you wanted to use him in a way that he needs to hold position and make decisions on when to and when not to engage, he can leave some pretty big gaps. 

He clearly did alright at PSG but on the couple of occasions I saw him in the Champions League, I saw him creating more problems for his team than he was solving. I fully accept that is a tiny sample size of all the games he would have played for them so I certainly wont be using that to judge him on how good he still is or isn't.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Think we would all prefer a younger version, but beggers can't be chosers. He is never going to be more than a short term sticking plaster, to cover us for a window or two until a few more quid is at hand. He's available, he's happy to come and I am sure will give it is all when he comes. 

I meant because he was actually talking about Gana :lol:.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

He does and he doesn't.

For me, you want to use Gana as a one man wrecking machine, tackling everything in sight. 

If you wanted to use him in a way that he needs to hold position and make decisions on when to and when not to engage, he can leave some pretty big gaps. 

He clearly did alright at PSG but on the couple of occasions I saw him in the Champions League, I saw him creating more problems for his team than he was solving. I fully accept that is a tiny sample size of all the games he would have played for them so I certainly wont be using that to judge him on how good he still is or isn't.

I don't mean hold position, I mean read the game, break up attacks and get the ball from defence to attack.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Waste of what? He isn't a good passer and he cant shoot for shit. A box to box needs to have some of that in his locker.

The best thing he can do is tackle and harrass. You dont want him anywhere near the opposition box! 

PSG must just be a bunch of idiots then. No wonder they don’t qualify for CL.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

There not idiots anymore they’ve realised there fuck up and they want to send him back. 
Let’s start talking about God, religion and homophobia again, at least more people are better informed on that subject than they are football 😂

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There not idiots anymore they’ve realised there fuck up and they want to send him back. 
Let’s start talking about God, religion and homophobia again, at least more people are better informed on that subject than they are football 😂

To be fair mate, it’s only you and Bailey who need enlightenment. Your only other follower seems to have (sensibly) left you. 

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

To be fair mate, it’s only you and Bailey who need enlightenment. Your only other follower seems to have (sensibly) left you. 

But to be fair Bailey and myself agree about his weaknesses, yet those who think he’s a good player can’t agree what he’s good at, what position he plays, if I read all the things said about how good he is, I’d be forgiven for thinking I was reading the attributes of the best player in the world, when in reality he’s not a player who can operate in a system, good teams just pass around him and into the spaces he’s vacated while chasing the ball when he should be holding his position and filling the space. 

What worries me is that running around annoying the opposition was the best part of his game. If he's lost that, which he will eventually with age, he literally has nothing else to offer.

It's not like he's going to adapt his game and become a Gareth Barry. I think he will improve the squad in the present, but for how long I'm not so sure about. Doesn't feel like a sensible singing for me.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

But to be fair Bailey and myself agree about his weaknesses, yet those who think he’s a good player can’t agree what he’s good at, what position he plays, if I read all the things said about how good he is, I’d be forgiven for thinking I was reading the attributes of the best player in the world, when in reality he’s not a player who can operate in a system, good teams just pass around him and into the spaces he’s vacated while chasing the ball when he should be holding his position and filling the space. 

TACTICS!!! It’s tactics!! 
Fuck it, don’t bring him back. I can’t deal with Palfy not having a clue! 😂

4 hours ago, Aidan said:

What worries me is that running around annoying the opposition was the best part of his game. If he's lost that, which he will eventually with age, he literally has nothing else to offer.

It's not like he's going to adapt his game and become a Gareth Barry. I think he will improve the squad in the present, but for how long I'm not so sure about. Doesn't feel like a sensible singing for me.

Depends on the tenor of his play.

5 hours ago, StevO said:

TACTICS!!! It’s tactics!! 
Fuck it, don’t bring him back. I can’t deal with Palfy not having a clue! 😂

Don’t be an arse I’m feeling reinvigorated 😂 
I wish it was tactics but there’s no tactics involved when it comes to Gona, he must tactically be the worse player I can remember who’s played for us. The only good his signing might do is bring PeteO back into the fold, God knows how much I’ve missed him giving you mods a hard time 😂

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

On the contrary you make him out to be a headless chicken, and in reality he isn’t. I remember well all the “‘if he was any good a top team would be after him”  

Then PSG brought him… next. That’s right “He is obviously going to fail over there because he is useless” oh dear. He went on to win a CL medal.

I continued watching him as I thought he was excellent for us. I watched PSG use him much more effectively than us. Which surely couldn’t happen if he didnt have it in his locker?

Now do I think he is a goal scoring world class midfielder? No that’s just silly.

Do I think he is a very good ball winning link up midfielder? Without doubt. He has proved you guys wrong so many times that surely you just admit that maybe is is a little better than you make out?

Well let’s face it, Haf was closer to calling out Lukaku haha!

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wish it was tactics but there’s no tactics involved when it comes to Gona, he must tactically be the worse player I can remember who’s played for us. The only good his signing might do is bring PeteO back into the fold, God knows how much I’ve missed him giving you mods a hard time 😂

PeteO won’t come back into it.

He has the wisdom to quit while he was behind haha!I’m

15 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

While I believe very much in building a younger team, those younger players learn from experienced players. Bringing Gana back would be similar to when we brought in Barry, a player with experience and proven worth in the Premier League. The difference in this case is that Gana also knows the Everton way. I'd say it's worth the risk of signing him up for a couple of years.

I think you have it right - its a risk worth taking. His experience and high energy hard working attitude will not go amiss around the place and I would hazard a guess that he has Everton in his heart and will not becoming simply for a nice final pay cheque. 

We all have niggling doubts that he will not have the legs he had when he left us, here lies the risk. but if he does have some legs he will make a significant difference in this squad. For a team who battled relegation last season, little things like this all add up and can help keep you out of the mire. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

On the contrary you make him out to be a headless chicken, and in reality he isn’t. I remember well all the “‘if he was any good a top team would be after him”  

Then PSG brought him… next. That’s right “He is obviously going to fail over there because he is useless” oh dear. He went on to win a CL medal.

I continued watching him as I thought he was excellent for us. I watched PSG use him much more effectively than us. Which surely couldn’t happen if he didnt have it in his locker?

Now do I think he is a goal scoring world class midfielder? No that’s just silly.

Do I think he is a very good ball winning link up midfielder? Without doubt. He has proved you guys wrong so many times that surely you just admit that maybe is is a little better than you make out?

Well let’s face it, Haf was closer to calling out Lukaku haha!

Who did he win a CL medal with?

its all sounding pretty much like this deal is happening.

Read he is on around £100k a week at PSG and used to be on £70K when he left us.

Obviously better if PSG still pay some of his £100K wages still, but if not.  What to you think would be better deal?  for us pay £100k for 12 months (£5.2M) and look at negotiating an extension in 12 months if he does the business or go straight for a two year deal at maybe closer to around his old £70k (£7.3M). (which would work out roughly at £100k this year and then £40k next year for comparison).

17 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think he is very good at the bits I mentioned but in a team like PSG he doesnt need to be the greatest passer or finisher because there are a few others to help him out on that score. 

His job at PSG is to win the ball, pass it on and make himself available, which is exactly what he is good at. 

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

its all sounding pretty much like this deal is happening.

Read he is on around £100k a week at PSG and used to be on £70K when he left us.

Obviously better if PSG still pay some of his £100K wages still, but if not.  What to you think would be better deal?  for us pay £100k for 12 months (£5.2M) and look at negotiating an extension in 12 months if he does the business or go straight for a two year deal at maybe closer to around his old £70k (£7.3M). (which would work out roughly at £100k this year and then £40k next year for comparison).

None of the above he will offer nothing for this team going forward and cost us games. 

9 hours ago, Palfy said:

The nice bit that’s reassuring when you and Pete spout that shit? Pretty much the whole football world disagrees with you. That always cheers me up. 😂

38 minutes ago, StevO said:

The nice bit that’s reassuring when you and Pete spout that shit? Pretty much the whole football world disagrees with you. That always cheers me up. 😂

I hate to think he might come back and set us back another season, yet there’s this little devil in me that wants him to come just to prove to you all once and for all how poor he is, but then the reality of that soon sinks in and as much as I would love to show you how wrong you’ve all been and how perfect I’ve been😉but  I couldn’t bear to see the club I love being damaged by him just for the bragging rights, so I pray he doesn’t come and you can all carry on taking the piss because believe me that would be far less painful than watching him costing us games🙈

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I hate to think he might come back and set us back another season, yet there’s this little devil in me that wants him to come just to prove to you all once and for all how poor he is, but then the reality of that soon sinks in and as much as I would love to show you how wrong you’ve all been and how perfect I’ve been😉but  I couldn’t bear to see the club I love being damaged by him just for the bragging rights, so I pray he doesn’t come and you can all carry on taking the piss because believe me that would be far less painful than watching him costing us games🙈

I can't believe that you want Everton to fail just to prove your point.