IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

5 hours ago, Aidan said:

Have seen him play once for PSG I think. How did they use him?

Central mid mate. Link up player. 
Take the ball from defence and link up with the forward line. I thought it was a much better use of the player than how we used him. 
But I think ours was more out of necessity.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think he is very good at the bits I mentioned but in a team like PSG he doesnt need to be the greatest passer or finisher because there are a few others to help him out on that score. 

His job at PSG is to win the ball, pass it on and make himself available, which is exactly what he is good at. 

No I agree with this Bailey. This is why I think his play suits a link up player. He was effective in this role in the CL matches. It’s 100% what we as a team struggle with. 
Doucs is a massive player for us, but will always struggle with the ten yard passes. He just doesn’t have that in his locker.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I hate to think he might come back and set us back another season, yet there’s this little devil in me that wants him to come just to prove to you all once and for all how poor he is, but then the reality of that soon sinks in and as much as I would love to show you how wrong you’ve all been and how perfect I’ve been😉but  I couldn’t bear to see the club I love being damaged by him just for the bragging rights, so I pray he doesn’t come and you can all carry on taking the piss because believe me that would be far less painful than watching him costing us games🙈

Sometimes I think you’ve never actually watched a game of football. 😂

On 30/07/2022 at 09:13, RPG said:

If you want to regard that ‘as progress’ then far be it from me to disillusion you. The fact of the matter is that there are certain things  in all ‘types’ of Islam that are totally non negotiable. Human nature being what it is, some people only pay lip service to the requirements but there remains a large number of people who feel bound by all the requirements of Islam and cannot support (or be seen supporting in the case of public figures) certain lifestyle choices.

It’s not difficult to understand once you stop forming opinions based on ingrained western culture and genuinely try to see things from a different viewpoint. 

But, at the end of the day, I think we are agreed that nobody should be, or made to feel, pressured to support something in public that violates their private beliefs - be it on moral, religious or any other grounds. This is where PSG went wrong and let the genie out of the bottle.

So we've gone from non-negotiable to recognising people pick and choose within a sentence. Theres no delussion here, just readin what youre writing. More progress!

Agree on the bold bit though. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Sometimes I think you’ve never actually watched a game of football. 😂

That’s the problem I’ve watched a lot more games than you so have far greater wisdom and understanding which comes from many more years of experiencing the good from the bad, your still in nappies when it comes to what I’ve seen and experienced 😂

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

That’s the problem I’ve watched a lot more games than you so have far greater wisdom and understanding which comes from many more years of experiencing the good from the bad, your still in nappies when it comes to what I’ve seen and experienced 😂

Maybe you’ve been watching for too long, and you know what happens when you get old. You’re probably back in nappies again by now anyway. 😂

And as they say in business, not all experience is good experience. 😉

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Maybe you’ve been watching for too long, and you know what happens when you get old. You’re probably back in nappies again by now anyway. 😂

And as they say in business, not all experience is good experience. 😉

No doubt I will be back in nappies again at some stage in the not so distant future, and one day you will be in big boy pants and when they day comes you will look back and reflect and say to yourself you know what Palfy was right Gona wasn’t that good😂 

And as for business my experience is like my football experience quite successful even if I do say so myself👍

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/02/report-details-everton-close-to-paying-8-4million-for-new-signing/

Emm, I didn't think there would be a fee involved for a player PSG seem to want off their books for the final year of his contract. Not exactly as cheap an option as original thought is might have been if you stick wages on top of that. 

You never know what 'figure' journalist have heard a whisper about - so not sure if it a £8.4M deal (i.e wages) or a straight transfer fee. 

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Funny when people turn their nose up signing players from relegated teams but him and Richie have been our two best transfer of the Moshiri era.

It's bollocks. Nonsensical. Just shows how thick some fans are. Because James Milner, Jagiekla, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Maguire, Richy, Gana, Roy Keane are all rubbish aren't they? The team got relegated, a squad of 20+ players, not the individual. Stick Ronaldo in the Norwich team last season, they'd probably still go down, doesn't make him a bad player does it?

58 minutes ago, Aidan said:

It's bollocks. Nonsensical. Just shows how thick some fans are. Because James Milner, Jagiekla, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Maguire, Richy, Gana, Roy Keane are all rubbish aren't they? The team got relegated, a squad of 20+ players, not the individual. Stick Ronaldo in the Norwich team last season, they'd probably still go down, doesn't make him a bad player does it?

Tbf Maguire is absolute rubbish haha

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/02/report-details-everton-close-to-paying-8-4million-for-new-signing/

Emm, I didn't think there would be a fee involved for a player PSG seem to want off their books for the final year of his contract. Not exactly as cheap an option as original thought is might have been if you stick wages on top of that. 

You never know what 'figure' journalist have heard a whisper about - so not sure if it a £8.4M deal (i.e wages) or a straight transfer fee. 

He’s currently the 17th highest paid player on PSG. So it wouldn’t have been a big deal for them to hold him if they wanted to. No reason they’d let a player go on a free whom they could get money for.

8 hours ago, RPG said:

You are not responding or understanding logically here Matt. Rigid is rigid. I said quite clearly in a previous post that there are some sliding scales of sin and that some aspects are non negotiable. The non negotiable aspects are just that, and therefore rigid. There is no choice on those issues for a devout muslim. The best they can do is neutrality but that position was taken away from Gueye by the very insensitive and poorly thought out actions of PSG. You seem to be trying to over simplify a very complex issue and whilst that might pander to short term points scoring it does nothing to further meaningful debate and understanding.

Pleased to see that some progress has been made though and you agree with the items in bold. Logically, that means you also agree that PSG violated Gueye’s neutrality on the issue and you should therefore understand why Gueye had no choice, other than to act in accordance with his convictions.

Nope. You said Islam was non-negotiable and rigid where people had no choice and that we couldnt understand it even if a scholar explained it to us. Then it was non-negotiable and rigid on certain aspects (which infers choice), then you said it should be non-negotiable and rigid but people do pick and choose what suits them. Which not only confirms choice, which we all knew anyway, but that the religion is a lot more flexible than you initially made out because of that choice.

The rigid aspect applies to all religions but they're now the minority arms of the respective religions because people in freer countries could choose what suited (for better or worse). Devout also have varying degrees. I don't imagine many devout Christians kneel on stone or don't eat meat on Friday anymore. 

I'm not pointscoring at all, we agree on the basic argument around Gana and the Aussie rules guys. I've learnt from interesting articles and a study explaining why Gana has been wronged in his eyes (and I kinda sympathise with him after research, but I also find his stance sad and hypocritical at the same time). But you started off implying that there was no flexibility on matter in Islam which simply isn't true, and each post you've reworded to backtrack a bit to the point that we're all saying the same thing. 

Anyway, I'm going back to my vacation. Here's a couple of articles I've been reading. 

https://www.hrc.org/resources/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-islam

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0049089X21000107