IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

I'd like Gueye back but every single 'article' by that PrinceRupertsTower kid follows the same blueprint; he has only one source for any of his "transfer news" pieces, they range in credibility from a tiny provincial news site to some random guy on Twitter, and he makes it all sound more credible by burying it in a thousand poorly-written words of the player's history. Because if he just said: "Here's a link to someone with no credentials pulling a rumour out of his arse" he wouldn't be taken seriously, but couching the same thing in the appearance of 'journalism' gives it weight apparently.

tl:dr - Gueye isn't coming back.     

There will be 2.5 people on this whole forum that don’t want him, and 2.5 people who support Everton, that wouldn’t want him back as long as the price is right. I think that says everything you need to know.

Back on topic though, Gana doing all the dirty work (and he does it better than 99% of the football world), with Gomes beside him, able to concentrate on what he does well. 100% yes I would have him back. The best midfields have always had a player to do the dirty work, alongside a maestro.

12 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Back on topic though, Gana doing all the dirty work (and he does it better than 99% of the football world), with Gomes beside him, able to concentrate on what he does well. 100% yes I would have him back. The best midfields have always had a player to do the dirty work, alongside a maestro.

Because that worked fantastically last year... 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

If we can keep Jean Paul fit he might be the better choice, Gana is a good player but he's  close to the age I don't think we should buy, if he was free it would be a different matter.

That’s fair comment but we desperately need a player of his type , no idea whether or not Jean Paul is that player but he looked more like Dave Klassen in the 2 minutes we have seen of him since he joined so it would be far too much of a gamble to go into the new season hoping that he can adapt and that he can stay fit 

Even if he does we still can’t go into a season with him as the only player at the club capable of filling that role 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To be fair I haven’t actually seen us defend at all since the premier league restarted and so I have kind of resigned myself to just accepting that we don’t have a midfield 

Amazing how anyone could watch Villa, Bournemouth, Wolves, Southampton and Spurs just waltz through our midfield in the past  month and still think we were better defensively 

We have got the worst midfield I've seen since the days of gemmill and pembridge.   Not sure how our back 4s ability or inability to defend is dependant on the midfield.  

The wolves game was the poorest display I've seen from our midfield in years.  Shocking. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

We have got the worst midfield I've seen since the days of gemmill and pembridge.   Not sure how our back 4s ability or inability to defend is dependant on the midfield.  

The wolves game was the poorest display I've seen from our midfield in years.  Shocking. 

Mark Pembridge would walk into this side !

The Wolves game was embarrassing but I thought we were even worse against Southampton in the first half. I think those 2 performances are probably the poorest I’ve ever seen in the Prem from any team

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

that makes no sense.  we have a different manager, that was the issue was the tactical and gameplan.  we have a solid backline.  the DM is the one position we need, gana the destroyer is exactly what we are missing.  the only issues after getting the DM/gana would be the wingers/left or right midfielders (depending on how pedantic you want to be with our formation, i know some on here swear we don't have wingers so i'll be inclusive in my vernacular).  have you joined the pete and palfy brigade?

It doesn’t matter if we have a new manager, Gana will still be a poor player under any manager, I said months ago he was on his way out at PSG now that wouldn’t be because of how good he is, if anyone on here truly believes he is the answer then I think you need some serious lockdown therapy.  

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

It doesn’t matter if we have a new manager, Gana will still be a poor player under any manager, I said months ago he was on his way out at PSG now that wouldn’t be because of how good he is, if anyone on here truly believes he is the answer then I think you need some serious lockdown therapy.  

Or maybe the only 2 people who think he is shit are clueless 

Minimal risk, can fit in with little fuss. 

If Carlo doesn’t want him to press high, he won’t press high. His previous managers have wanted that, but that’s for the current manager to decide. 

I still don’t see it happening anyway. 

21 minutes ago, BedfordBlue said:

Or maybe the only 2 people who think he is shit are clueless 

Are you sure we are the only 2 if true and he is available for transfer, then someone who is paid millions of pounds a year for his football knowledge must think the same as us, so cut the clueless shit mate. 

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Are you sure we are the only 2 if true and he is available for transfer, then someone who is paid millions of pounds a year for his football knowledge must think the same as us, so cut the clueless shit mate. 

Thomas Tuchel has picked him 33 times this season and is apparently the eighth highest paid manager in the world, he disagrees with you. 
most have us just disagree with you for free! 
😂

21 minutes ago, StevO said:

Thomas Tuchel has picked him 33 times this season and is apparently the eighth highest paid manager in the world, he disagrees with you. 
most have us just disagree with you for free! 
😂

So why would he want to get rid unless it’s fake news, and if so why the debate. 

15 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Mark Pembridge would walk into this side !

The Wolves game was embarrassing but I thought we were even worse against Southampton in the first half. I think those 2 performances are probably the poorest I’ve ever seen in the Prem from any team

Probably right....  we have 2 midfielders in gylfi and Gomes  who are a disgrace to their talents.  Strolling round, not putting tackles in, passing backwards.... Davies isn't good enough but I don't doubt his commitment.

Gueye would be a shot in the arse for the team.... we have missed him no question.

Lads, this is a topic about football, not politics. Carry this crap on and I’ll just delete it all. 

Edit; 

actually read it back and it’s getting deleted. 
Pete & Palfy, stop with the getting abusive and personal. You can have different opinions without calling someone a dick or telling them to fuck off. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Lads, this is a topic about football, not politics. Carry this crap on and I’ll just delete it all. 

Edit; 

actually read it back and it’s getting deleted. 
Pete & Palfy, stop with the getting abusive and personal. You can have different opinions without calling someone a dick or telling them to fuck off. 

Not happy with that. So you can call people clueless but not a dick head? As for me being called clueless is much more offensive or are you just taking cause with swear words? What's the reasons why mine and Palfy's have been deleted? 

No mention to the dick head for being abusive only the reactors? Is this your choice alone or mods concencus? 

As for the politics snipe it was completely relevant in the context. 

47 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Not happy with that. So you can call people clueless but not a dick head? As for me being called clueless is much more offensive or are you just taking cause with swear words? What's the reasons why mine and Palfy's have been deleted? 

No mention to the dick head for being abusive only the reactors? Is this your choice alone or mods concencus? 

As for the politics snipe it was completely relevant in the context. 

Yes, you are not allowed to call someone a dickhead. Does that even need stating?
Someone calling you clueless is based on your opinion of something, a disagreement. Calling someone a dickhead is abusive. You’re a grown adult, you should know the difference and I shouldn’t have to spell it out.

The posts were deleted because you both started with name calling. Again, it’s pretty obvious. If it helps, I deleted nine posts in total, from five different members. Not just you two.

This was my choice and I’m pretty sure the other mods have no issue with it.

the political comment was relevant? How does politics come into someone’s opinion on a footballer?

keep your politics to the politics thread. I’ll make this very very clear for anyone; if I see politics, especially used offensively, in any football threads I will delete them. 

If you, or anyone else, have a problem with that then get in touch with Louis and complain. 
This is a football forum, we have political threads, use them if you wish. 

17 hours ago, StevO said:

As I’ve stated in previous discussions, he’s played 33 times out of a possible 46 matches this season for PSG. Including pretty much all of their big champions league games. 
If they do sell him, it’s because they have something special lined up to replace him. 

This is why the rumour is all a bit weird. Even if PSG were lining someone up surely they would keep Gana in the squad. Its not like he would free up much in wages / fee. I imagine it is just lazy BS journalism.

To use a Haf like analogy, my view would be that signing him would be like putting a big plaster on a compound fracture. It won't fix the problem, but it might help stem some of the bleeding.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This is why the rumour is all a bit weird. Even if PSG were lining someone up surely they would keep Gana in the squad. Its not like he would free up much in wages / fee. I imagine it is just lazy BS journalism.

To use a Haf like analogy, my view would be that signing him would be like putting a big plaster on a compound fracture. It won't fix the problem, but it might help stem some of the bleeding.

Completely agree. I can’t see them moving him on, but it would help us big time for a year or two. Could be a bit of relief while Gbamin gets fit, remove some pressure and see if he can be a player. Just don’t think he’ll be back.