IGNORED

Enner Valencia

Naismith was like Kuyt was for the shite, wasn't the best gifted footballer but popped up with the important goals when it was really needed. Naismith was better than he is given credit for, I don't see Valencia in the same way, don't get me wrong Valencia is better than I thought he was when he first signed but he isn't a scratch on Naismith for me.

Edited by aaron

He may have declined - but the lad was a quality player for us.

Agree, so what you want to sign him again for Europa rotation and cups?

Fact of the matter is we will need bodies next year. He seems to get along well, koeman likes him, he's been able to contribute a few goals and assists and doesn't bitch about playing time. Sounds like a perfect bench player to me albeit a little pricey.

Agree, so what you want to sign him again for Europa rotation and cups?

Fact of the matter is we will need bodies next year. He seems to get along well, koeman likes him, he's been able to contribute a few goals and assists and doesn't bitch about playing time. Sounds like a perfect bench player to me albeit a little pricey.

Yeah the price is the sticking point but you can't say he hasn't performed when called upon. He's aware we play a single striker down the middle yet still wants to be apart of things.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read a star we average a goal every 10mins he's on the pitch.

Supports my whole point about having a goalscorer with an all round game and a team ethic.

Not quite the lemon many predicted. I would take west ham fans opinions with a pinch of salt.

Been a useful acquisition and I would argue that he could be used more.

Fantastic decision by Koeman to bring him on yesterday, he made a massive difference and there have been very few occasions this season when that hasn't been the case.

If we could get the fee down a little (doubtful) I wouldn't mind getting him permanently. We should have a lot of extra games next season so we need a bigger squad, and he looks like he'd be an excellent squad player. It helps that he seems to like it here and the other players like him.

Nope... Wouldn't pay that. He's probably worth £10m but they haven't used him. Let them have him back and see what they will come back with.

Can we really afford to pay that much for a player that should never be starting a game?

That's why I said if we could get the fee down a bit then it'd be something to consider. If we do go for him I could see it being one that drags on until deadline day while both clubs dig their heels in.

Supports my whole point about having a goalscorer with an all round game and a team ethic.

That's fine but Valencia is doing this WITH an out and out goalscorer - we would not be doing as well with Valencia instead of Lukaku.

Valencia's a great option - I'd be happy if we signed him permenantly but wouldn't see it as the end of the world if we didn't as I feel we'll be chasing a few other options too in the summer. £14m would be fine, especially if we're selling Niasse for a similar fee. What I wouldn't want to happen is Calvert-Lewin and Lookman go too far down the pecking order as both look like they'll have big futures here.

That's fine but Valencia is doing this WITH an out and out goalscorer - we would not be doing as well with Valencia instead of Lukaku.

Valencia's a great option - I'd be happy if we signed him permenantly but wouldn't see it as the end of the world if we didn't as I feel we'll be chasing a few other options too in the summer. £14m would be fine, especially if we're selling Niasse for a similar fee. What I wouldn't want to happen is Calvert-Lewin and Lookman go too far down the pecking order as both look like they'll have big futures here.

bingo

That's why I said a goalscorer with an all round game.... rather than a goalscorer + an all round player = 2 positions taken.

The whole premier league changed when mourinho brought in drogba and created a lone striker role. Whilst drogba was a brilliant goal scorer his all round game was superb. Brilliant with his back to goal, could link play, intelligent movement and singlehandedly made the two centre halved occupied.

It's a point that I find myself repeating over and over again.

I have stated that lukaku would prosper in a team with enough strength in the team that allows him to operate as a second striker. But not many top teams do this.

As it stands we are good enough to put lesser teams to the sword but against the better teams lukaku is not able to give the players behind him the time or ability to advance up the field.

We don't need a 20-25 goal a season striker to make top 4. We need a 15-20 goal striker who can do the things that Rom struggles to do.

Are they out there? Definitely.

Every team needs a 20-25 goal striker - problem is that they don't all have them.

The reason we're not as good against the top teams is that we're not good enough yet. A point many find themselves repeating is building with Lukaku is easier than building without Lukaku. Put better players with and around him and we'll do better against the teams above us - seems simple.

Every team needs a 20-25 goal striker - problem is that they don't all have them.

The reason we're not as good against the top teams is that we're not good enough yet. A point many find themselves repeating is building with Lukaku is easier than building without Lukaku. Put better players with and around him and we'll do better against the teams above us - seems simple.

bongo