IGNORED

Jordan Pickford

51 minutes ago, Matt said:

For fucks sake. 3 wins out of 3 and still this...

but this is a post about Pickford, nothing to do with the teams form. We let two goals in at the weekend, and only put West Brom to bed when they were down to 10 men. 

Last season he didn't cover himself if glory, so is going to have the spotlight on him a bit when we ship a couple of goals. We can't just post now much we all love Rodriguez!!! 

48 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Agree completely with your sentiment. We can't read too much into a single game, or even the first four or five. We'll only know whether or not he's escaped from his malaise over the longer term. Personally, I thought he was partly to blame for their first goal yesterday (watch him as he backtracks and where he stands relative to the goal), not to take anything away from the quality of the goal. My hope is that Allan and Pickford together will learn from each other and demand more of each other.

Allan? he's be good in both games, especially since he been here less than a month!! Has been a massive boost to our midfield in just two games. For the first goal, Allan got back very well and did the right thing in covering West Brom's supporting player, Mina just backed off and was just not tight enough to get a block on it.

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Nonetheless quality teams are always moving forward.  Man city didn’t say squad is fine after winning the league, they improved.  We should too.

I’m not talking about that either. We’ve got pages of quibbling over individual issues when the problem was with many players during the moments of play. But nearly no one is celebrating the good, at best only a fraction of the amount of this nitpicking. Only Evertonians could concentrate on the minute negatives in a couple of games which we’ve won, comfortably. It’s almost like everyone is expecting us to revert to the end of last season and are getting primed by getting their hooks into players early. 

Has anyone mentioned Pickfords saves? Especially the one he tipped onto the post? No. But not standing 1 metre either way after a great run (which should’ve been shut out) and excellent shot gets pages of drivel like Ben fucking Foster being a preferable option (sorry Haf, it’s just the easiest example to make, not meant as a dig). For me Mina is the responsible for both goals (ducking for the free kick, opening his body so the first shot flies past him after backing off the whole time) but apart from saying he was responsible, I still acknowledged that he had a good game because he was part of a 5-2 win, one where we came from behind and go ahead twice.

3 wins out of 3. Just enjoy the fucking moment people. 

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Allan? he's be good in both games, especially since he been here less than a month!! Has been a massive boost to our midfield in just two games. For the first goal, Allan got back very well and did the right thing in covering West Brom's supporting player, Mina just backed off and was just not tight enough to get a block on it.

I agree - and didn't mean to imply anything negative against Allan. Pickford must take charge of commanding the back line, and Allan is in charge ahead of him. This is what I meant: They must work together, learn from each other's approach, and demand only the best.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Cos he's good to average.  Which is good enough to push or replace Pickford on a free transfer. 

Why bother with average?

Would he want to come here and sit on the bench? He might as well be playing somewhere. 
If we are to replace Pickford it needs to be with someone exceptional, otherwise why bother? Every transfer is a risk, no need for additional risk without is being an upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’m not talking about that either. We’ve got pages of quibbling over individual issues when the problem was with many players during the moments of play. But nearly no one is celebrating the good, at best only a fraction of the amount of this nitpicking. Only Evertonians could concentrate on the minute negatives in a couple of games which we’ve won, comfortably. It’s almost like everyone is expecting us to revert to the end of last season and are getting primed by getting their hooks into players early. 

Has anyone mentioned Pickfords saves? Especially the one he tipped onto the post? No. But not standing 1 metre either way after a great run (which should’ve been shut out) and excellent shot gets pages of drivel like Ben fucking Foster being a preferable option (sorry Haf, it’s just the easiest example to make, not meant as a dig). For me Mina is the responsible for both goals (ducking for the free kick, opening his body so the first shot flies past him after backing off the whole time) but apart from saying he was responsible, I still acknowledged that he had a good game because he was part of a 5-2 win, one where we came from behind and go ahead twice.

Amen!!

Happy!! We’ll lose to Fleetwood in a few days, we can complain then. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

So what you are saying is that you assume you watch other teams and their players more and therefore have a better stance in the argument?  Otherwise why would your argument be any more credible?

I'll counter that and say in the games I've watched foster play against us for Watford he was attentive, experienced - took bookings for time wasting  - made great saves.  A complete presence. 

I recall a game he had for West brom when we had Fellaini just before he left ... Outstanding.  Saved a penno from Siggy last season ...

But no ... Other than that I'll trust you have more to counter. 

Just as a side note ... Pickford doesn't have a weak foot.  Hd is essentially two footed. 

He does have a weak foot and its his right foot. Actually watching it back he is at pains to hit it with his left because of its awkwardness and turns his body to hit it with his left. 

In terms of my assumptions they are based on the fact that Foster makes a lot of mistakes and anyone suggesting Foster replaces Pickford clearly hasn't watched enough of him. If you are going to knock a player for not being good enough, you don't pick a guy that looks great on match of the day because the side he plays for means he has to make lots of saves. 

Foster would be a good number 2 but if he was starting week in week out we would be in real trouble.

24 minutes ago, StevO said:

Why bother with average?

Would he want to come here and sit on the bench? He might as well be playing somewhere. 
If we are to replace Pickford it needs to be with someone exceptional, otherwise why bother? Every transfer is a risk, no need for additional risk without is being an upgrade. 

That and his contract with Watford was apparently extended until July 2022

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

if you go to the threads where that discussion takes place it's very positive!  carlo, james, longest everton thread, matchday thread, on the whole everyone is very positive an excited.  this is a single player thread, we are discussing him here since that's the way the site is setup.  all people are saying is when the next big transfer kitty comes up GK should be on the list.  not sure what's so negative about that, RB should also be on the list.  not a knock against them, just we are aiming higher and need to improve there.  pickford has had issues for a couple years now, the new manager publicly stated he needs to improve, it's not like we are critisizing Neuer or something here.

51 minutes ago, Matt said:

Its a forum mate. Where people discuss things, agree, disagree. If you dont want to talk about pickford then go and read another thread. Its not really quibbling (for once!) it's actually good to hear peoples view on him. 

31 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Foster would be a good number 2 but if he was starting week in week out we would be in real trouble.

Honestly Bailey I genuinely believe Foster would benefit us points wise over the course of a season... And unfortunately that's not because I think he's a great player. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

There is nothing wrong in being critical of things that could cost us points against better sides.  We are striving to be a top 4 side. 

59 minutes ago, StevO said:

Why bother with average?

I would have foster because he will either make Pickford improve or replace him and cost nothing. At worst hes good cover. 

59 minutes ago, StevO said:

Absolute rubbish. Pickford is left footed. 

Are you sure it's "absolute rubbish' ... I don't think you are.... Because it's not absolute rubbish.  

He prefers his left foot but his right foot is far from weak ... He can strike a ball to the opposite penno area with either foot. 

46 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He does have a weak foot and its his right foot. Actually watching it back he is at pains to hit it with his left because of its awkwardness and turns his body to hit it with his left. 

In terms of my assumptions they are based on the fact that Foster makes a lot of mistakes and anyone suggesting Foster replaces Pickford clearly hasn't watched enough of him. If you are going to knock a player for not being good enough, you don't pick a guy that looks great on match of the day because the side he plays for means he has to make lots of saves. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Why are you assuming I've watched him on match of the day ... What have you watched him on thaf makes your opinion any more valid.  Pickford makes more mistakes than foster and is a less busier goally

Ronnie O'Sullivan prefers to use his right hand to play snooker but has scored centuries left handed, does that make it weak?

Pickford can strike a ball either foot exceptionally well. He chose to lob it.  It wasn't inability to execute to was inability to make the right decision. 

12 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Why are you assuming I've watched him on match of the day ... What have you watched him on thaf makes your opinion any more valid.  Pickford makes more mistakes than foster and is a less busier goally

Ronnie O'Sullivan prefers to use his right hand to play snooker but has scored centuries left handed, does that make it weak?

Pickford can strike a ball either foot exceptionally well. He chose to lob it.  It wasn't inability to execute to was inability to make the right decision. 

Why are you quoting me? I’ve not mentioned his foot, just pointing out (in addition to the other things about Pickfords performances) that Foster is not a free agent after signing a new 2 year deal in August with Watford. 

20 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Are you sure it's "absolute rubbish' ... I don't think you are.... Because it's not absolute rubbish.  

He prefers his left foot but his right foot is far from weak ... He can strike a ball to the opposite penno area with either foot. 

I am 100% sure it’s a isolate rubbish. I’ve seen him kick a ball with both feet and it’s clear that he is left footed. His right foot might be more than a dead weight, but he’s clearly right footed. 
He takes his goal kicks with his left foot, when he’s not under pressure he uses his left foot, he takes penalties with his left foot. He uses his right foot if he has to. 

Just now, StevO said:

I am 100% sure it’s a isolate rubbish. I’ve seen him kick a ball with both feet and it’s clear that he is left footed. His right foot might be more than a dead weight, but he’s clearly right footed. 
He takes his goal kicks with his left foot, when he’s not under pressure he uses his left foot, he takes penalties with his left foot. He uses his right foot if he has to. 

He prefers his left foot. ... Yes I'm not disputing that.  He can use his right foot and it's as good as any "weaker" foot you will see.

I watched him take corners either foot swinging them in at St George's.  Only him and Barkley have that type of ability in the England set up. 

As much as I'm critical of him. .. he can leather a ball either foot. Fact. 

The point of the debate is he had no excuse for lobbing the ball in the box. Unless you disagree? 

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Wasn't meant to quote you and couldn't delete it 

No worries. Can we put the Foster idea to bed now?

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He prefers his left foot. ... Yes I'm not disputing that.  He can use his right foot and it's as good as any "weaker" foot you will see.

I watched him take corners either foot swinging them in at St George's.  Only him and Barkley have that type of ability in the England set up. 

As much as I'm critical of him. .. he can leather a ball either foot. Fact. 

The point of the debate is he had no excuse for lobbing the ball in the box. Unless you disagree? 

Think the point was that saying he’s essentially 2 footed means he’s as comfortable with one or the other. But, as you correctly pointed out here, he has a definite preferred foot but his less preferred foot is still bloody good. 

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

Make your mind up! No wonder there’s so much confusion regarding his footwork! :shakingfist:

Don’t think he was at fault for either. They were both on Mina. He was poor for a number of games last year but I’m shocked how many Evertonians want to knock him or find fault in the littlest thing or even with nothing at all. He’s England’s number one and plays for our club he should be supported not heckled. There are better goalies out there but not at the price we will be paying. The terrible lob on first minute was for me the only real shocker he had in the game and that wasn’t helped by an atrocious back pass.

Honestly, no issue for Pickford on both goals. I understand the criticism after last season but he has looked solid so far. The ball he played wasnt great but the 2 passes from outfielder players ( Coleman/Mina ) were much, much worse. Coleman should never be dinking a ball from halfway to the edge of 18 and Mina did Jordan no favours as well. Perfect example of the "Swiss Cheese" phrase used in safety/risk management. 

Theres lots of good to enjoy right now but its also nice to know we can be better. Enjoy this season friends, we have waited since Martinez's first one to have this potential.