IGNORED

Middlesbrough (Away) Saturday February 11th

markjazzbassist

Poor result for me. Set up far too defensively.

Massively evident when Mirallas isn't anywhere near the squad we lack any real attacking ability. Squad is threadbare in that area, letting Deulofeu go was a mistake.

Letting deulofeu go was a mistake, but on the same token what has he done to change games this season coming on as a sub?

As for Mirallas, Lookman can do that job better. Mirallas plays for himself and isn't intelligent enough.

Letting deulofeu go was a mistake, but on the same token what has he done to change games this season coming on as a sub?

As for Mirallas, Lookman can do that job better. Mirallas plays for himself and isn't intelligent enough.

It's not what he's done all season. It's what he's capable of doing and we've missed that. Lennon and Valencia just haven't got that ability.

Mirallas at present is a better player than Lookman. Rather than putting them against eachother I'd like to see them both in the same side. Mirallas as also just come into some sort of form. He was looking really good and we looked a weakened team without him in the squad

Guest rusty747

We are getting close. There are certain similarities between the current Everton and the Everton of 1984 - minus the FA Cup of course. If we can make the right signings in the summer we just might surprise a few people next season.

As for this season - I fear we will neither move up nor down the table again and are, thus, reliant on the various domestic Cups being won by the 'right' teams if we are to sneak into Europe.

We obviously need to keep the good form, momentum and results going to the end of the season in the hope that 2 of the teams above us drops 8 points more than we do, but I think today's results have made that outcome extremely unlikely - but not impossible.

We need wins at Man U and the rs as a minimum and at least a point at Spurs and Arsenal imho if we are to stand even a slim chance of finishing higher than 7th.

Edited by rusty747

Our midfield has quality and competition for places, but apart from Lukaku, Lookman, and sometimes Mirallas we just don't have the strength in depth to bring a game changer off the bench. Its tough that we lost Bolasie, but we really need to sign a striker and a couple of inside forwards / attacking wingers in the summer. Gabiadni at Saints has scored 3 in his first two appearances, did we miss a trick in not signing him?

We also need to sign another CB as both Mori and Williams need to have some competition to keep them on their toes.

Guest rusty747

I think cb is an area we need to look at. Williams has been steady and reliable but not spectacular, Mori always has a mistake in him and Jag's is cover for them now. Williams and Jags are the wrong side of 30 and whilst we have great youngsters coming through at cb, they are not quite ready imho. So we will need one quality cb for a season or two until Holgate, Browning, Pennington, Foulds, Galloway etc can dominate our back line.

Midfield is our strongest area but I do agree that we need to be able to bring a proven game changer off the bench and Rom needs a bit more quality competition.

As for 'keeper, I am becoming more and more happy with Joel, but if Butland becomes available, who would say no?

As for 'keeper, I am becoming more and more happy with Joel, but if Butland becomes available, who would say no?

Would be a huge risk paying what would be required to sign Butland on the back of being out for almost a year - it'll be well over a year if/when he does start playing regularly again. He's had 3 set backs with this injury already - he may not be the same player as a serious ankle injury for a keeper may change his game completely.

Despite keeping a clean sheet today I think we have looked shaky with 4 at the back in the last couple of games.

Whilst the 5 works best against teams that attack us, I still think it can help us grind out results without looking vulnerable.

I think we look a lot better all over with 3/5 at the back. The system suits the players we've got currently - 433 or whatever the official set-up puts Lookman and Barkley out wide- both would benefit more from playing in natural positions in a 532.

For me our best line-up currently is...

..............................Joel................................

.......Holgate.........Williams........Mori...........

Coleman...........................................Baines

.............Schneiderlin.........Davies................

...............................Barkley..........................

......................Lukaku........Mirallas...............

Gueye, Lookman, McCarthy and Barry all could slot in and replace when that team needs rotating and freshening up.

I think we look a lot better all over with 3/5 at the back. The system suits the players we've got currently - 433 or whatever the official set-up puts Lookman and Barkley out wide- both would benefit more from playing in natural positions in a 532.

......................Lukaku........Mirallas.............

Gueye, Lookman, McCarthy and Barry all could slot in and replace when that team needs rotating and freshening up.

Your right we have looked a lot more solid with that formation, the defence looks a lot better and it suits Williams to have two youngsters either side of him to orchestrate, and we don't sit as deep in that formation.

I think the only change I would make to your starting line-up is Lookman for Mirallas, more because I believe a big man and small man front two gives defenders more problems, and also Lukaku and Lookman could gel given a few games together, where as with Mirallas he not so much a team player.

I would agree with that completely.

Personally, I'd start Lookman over Mirallas and McCarthy over Davies. Sub them both at 60-70 minutes.

Fair enough mate, everyone sees it different, I just thought he was missing for most of the first half and struggled to get in the game.

indeed :) I thought first half he was a menace and could've had two goals but was a yard shy of the ball each time. He struggled a bit second half, but most of the team did.

I just watched this game back again.

Funes Mori was dreadful. He was probably responsible for at least 3 of their chances or possible chances.

We still concede way too many chances from corners. Considering Koeman took the piss out of Martinez for his record at corners we must be conceding at least 1 clear chance per game.

Gana was well off the pace.

Davies was superb first half but barely figured second half.

Barkley was superb again, Lookman was also bright and could have had a couple. Lukaku should have scored his only real chance.

When you bring on Barry, Valencia and Lennon your chances of finding a winner are slim to none!

That save from Robles was world class.