IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

we've netted 6.8m so far this summer even with all these signings which is pretty amazing. the great news is pickford, keane, rooney, are all known quantities in the prem. klaassen and sandro are the only 2 first teamers that are unknown. pretty good compared to how spurs spent the bale money (most were from foreign leagues).

This cannot be overstated enough. Proven quality costs but aren't "gambles" like others have made.

Mane is a good example. Cost a lot of money, but proven in the league that he performs. Worthy investment.

This cannot be overstated enough. Proven quality costs but aren't "gambles" like others have made.

Mane is a good example. Cost a lot of money, but proven in the league that he performs. Worthy investment.

i agree. not to mention our 2 gambles Sandro was 5m (24 goals in la liga) so really no gamble there, we can re coup 5m no prob if he stink by selling back to la liga. Klaassen is really the only one classed as a gamble for me.

net spend

23.6m klaassen

25m pickford

-10.6 gerry

7m onyekuru

undisclosed markelo

5.2m sandro

-8m cleverley

25m keane

0m rooney

0m mcaleny

1.5m bowler

-75m lukaku

-0.5m mcgeady

0m martina

87.3m spent

94.1 sold

we've netted 6.8m so far this summer even with all these signings which is pretty amazing. the great news is pickford, keane, rooney, are all known quantities in the prem. klaassen and sandro are the only 2 first teamers that are unknown. pretty good compared to how spurs spent the bale money (most were from foreign leagues).

Agent fees will likely eat up the difference between 'spent' and 'sold'.

we're not buying 2 more starters. we just got Cuco on a free, i think we'll buy one more player around the 20-30m range to play across the front 3 and challenge to start ala Walcott.

You called for two more BIG signings. You dont buy BIG unless you expect them to start.

Great business so far, but still spent no money. I really hope we have a couple of big players to come. Although happy with deals, still not happy with the apparent 'sell to buy' attitude.

I feel like that's more coincidence than anything, no? I mean, there needed to be wholesale changes in the squad and the Lukaku/Barkley situation was transparent to all of us. Players were always going to be leaving and now we have more competition. I personally think that's more circumstance than anything. Our 'sell to buy' model has worked in reverse in the past...usually only on deadline day, surely things are different now.

I understand you but if we buy 2 more starters we will basically have a whole new team.

Yeah. It's a toughie. Don't want too many...but also want to see us with a fat plus net spend to really show we mean business...otherwise, it's not really different to before, you know what I mean?!

I think most of us are delighted with this transfer window. We've made some real smart moves, and the squad does look better than last year.

However, experience tells me to keep an eye on the usual sceptical side of things. At the moment, it does indeed look like we've only spent what we've been able to bring in.

The reason this is important is that we are trying to play catch up with the teams above us. So far, it looks like those teams are spending, or going to spend, awesome amounts without having to sell.

Don't mean to sound negative, and by no means am I unhappy, just trying to keep some realistic perspective.

Good managers very rarely change their style and when they do it doesn't often work out too well.

I think Rooney will be our Pelle and Klassen/Davies our Cork in that box to box role.

The only Tadic in the group is Barkley I think?

Good managers very rarely change their style and when they do it doesn't often work out too well.

I think Rooney will be our Pelle and Klassen/Davies our Cork in that box to box role.

The only Tadic in the group is Barkley I think?

I look at that lineup and realize just how good of a lineup Southampton had. A little bit of depth added to that first 11 and they could've had an outside run at the top 4.

I look at that lineup and realize just how good of a lineup Southampton had. A little bit of depth added to that first 11 and they could've had an outside run at the top 4.

If you look at the players that have come through the club since they got relegated they would have one hell of a squad.

Is anyone else happy that we've not actually spent anything then?

I think it's great that we've invested money in talent like Stones and Lukaku, and they've covered the cost of these signings and last summer too. As long as we've got the players Ronald wants I'm happy.

Im ok with it as it stands. I dont care if the net spend is large or small (or in this case none) if (as you said) Ron is happy. I still think that we need another striker but if Rooney delivers and Sandro is as good as I think he is, then im ok. If Barkley goes its another matter and i still think that Ron wants another player in the middle. (Gylfi type)

Is anyone else happy that we've not actually spent anything then?

I think it's great that we've invested money in talent like Stones and Lukaku, and they've covered the cost of these signings and last summer too. As long as we've got the players Ronald wants I'm happy.

This is where I feel a little tiny bit mixed.

I'm pleased with what we have. Pleased with the players we have. But part of me niggles that I would like to see us capable of keeping so called top players AND spend on more top players. As it stands today, it's still 'sell to buy'.

It's a funny one and hard to get across on here, as each reader will interpret it differently.

This is where I feel a little tiny bit mixed.

I'm pleased with what we have. Pleased with the players we have. But part of me niggles that I would like to see us capable of keeping so called top players AND spend on more top players. As it stands today, it's still 'sell to buy'.

It's a funny one and hard to get across on here, as each reader will interpret it differently.

If we spend 40m on sigurdsson and 20 or 30 on a striker like giroud it dzeko do you think will people will be more content?

If we spend 40m on sigurdsson and 20 or 30 on a striker like giroud it dzeko do you think will people will be more content?

I don't know about other people, I can only speak for little me. And it's not that I'm not totally content as such, although I do think we need 2 more key players aa mentioned earlier on.

I would like to see us push for that one big 'marquee' type signing. It's not essential but I think all fans would be absolutely estatic.

I've not really answered your question (!!!), but it's hard to name particular players and prices.

very happy ste with the window so far. another to play across the front 3 and i'm ecstatic. spending just to spend to say we spent 100m is fucking stupid. spending smart and being frugal is how Bayern Munich stay a big boy yet are financial powerhouses even though they never sign the Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Bale/Lukaku/Pogba types. I'd rather that model than the United buy every top mercenary there is model.

Let me just say I don't want us to spend for the sake of spending...not at all. I don't think anyone has said anything close to that?

Anyway...lesson learnt again for me...try not to explain too much on the forum! Short and sweet with little detail works best!!!

very happy ste with the window so far. another to play across the front 3 and i'm ecstatic. spending just to spend to say we spent 100m is fucking stupid. spending smart and being frugal is how Bayern Munich stay a big boy yet are financial powerhouses even though they never sign the Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Bale/Lukaku/Pogba types. I'd rather that model than the United buy every top mercenary there is model.

I see what you mean about Bayern. But it's relative to their immediate competition and country they play in. Bayern are still by far the big spenders of Germany. But where as the Bundesliga recorded a record high spend of £460 million in 2016, the Premier league spent £1.165 billion the same season.

Do you know what I mean?

Edited by Newty82

Let me just say I don't want us to spend for the sake of spending...not at all. I don't think anyone has said anything close to that?

Anyway...lesson learnt again for me...try not to explain too much on the forum! Short and sweet with little detail works best!!!

wasn't talking about you newts, your comment was good. it was the markiediow comment on the last page that said "another window and we still didn't spend, nothing has changed, still sell to buy".

that guy i don't agree with.

Edited by markjazzbassist

wasn't talking about you newts, your comment was good. it was the markiediow comment on the last page that said "another window and we still didn't spend, nothing has changed, still sell to buy".

that guy i don't agree with.

Ai. Fair play. I don't want peeps to think I'm complaining or being negative...far from it...I'm just wondering if we are yet in a position to flex our financial muscle or are we still in the sell to buy model? Because I'm afraid the sell to buy will not win us many titles.

I am happy though! Haha!!!