IGNORED

2017 Summer Transfer Window

35 goals in 107 games is and was poor. He never became the player he could have been, he will tell you that himself if you ask him.

If you think 35 goals in 107 games is poor then there must be very few strikers you rate :rolleyes:

Also the headline goal stats don't take into account the number of goals he helped create, or his contribution to the team.

He never became the player he could as he was sold to Newcastle, and suffered from serious injuries.

Great and master are words I'd have used for Shearer, he set the standard at the time. Duncan was a mile away from him.

Great and master are also two words I did not use to describe Duncan.

You call him a legend, I call Alan Ball a legend, Dave Hickson a legend, Neville Southall a legend.

I guess its a generational thing, to me he is a Legend because he was the player that I saw epitomise what it was to play for Everton, he was a leader. For you its clear your heroes are from a different time.

Feel free to be prescious over Duncan,

Again, you have your opinion, I'll have mine.

Not being precious, just correcting what I perceive to be an error in your assessment of Duncan.

And thanks, I will have my own opinion, just like you have yours ;)

In his first spell at Everton he scored 35 goals in 107 appearances, in a struggling team.

On his day he was unplayable, his strength, aggression, ability to motivate others and his skill made him a very good striker.

His second spell was ruined by injuries.

He was a quality player for us and has become an Everton Legend, so maybe pick another player to make your point.

He was a legend in Barlinnie gaol, apparently he asked the Governor to move the wall back 10 yards.

Don't care about his attitude. I care about his dirty tricks and behavior. Be angry. Yell, scream, make strong challenges. Stand up to the officials. Be cocky and celebrate the shit out of your goals.

But I'll never be okay with any Everton player stamping, biting or headbutting like he has. Might as well be a shite fan if you're okay with his behavior on the pitch.

So you wouldn't be happy if Everton announced Suarez tomorrow then?

Sound.

Yes to King/Giroud.

No to Matuidi. We have plenty of depth at CM.

If we offload McCarthy, then that leaves us with Barry as our best cover for Schneiderlin, which resulted in a horrendous drop in form for the whole squad during the latter 16/17 season. Selling both of these players would pay for a new arrival and eliminate one team position as well!

Matuidi can not only easily cover any injuries or required rest at DCM, but can do the same for Gana (if not actually take over the starting #8 that is). Addition of another experienced trophy-winning mentality and an incredibly intelligent futbol-mind in the squad is only add-on bonus too.

Pluuuuus, another high-profile, world-class transfer coup for EFC? I say let's cement that rising power status!

Edited by CobblestoneBoulevard

Sound.

What do you want the club to be known for? And yes we all want the club to be known as winners!

Nottingham Forrest, Arsenal, and UTD in the 90's to early 2000 won the league playing good football and were not dirty bastards, that side is generally respected in football.

The Shite, Stoke, Chelsea are known for having dirty players and are known as dirt sides.

I know which camp I want Everton to be in.

What do you want the club to be known for? And yes we all want the club to be known as winners!

Nottingham Forrest, Arsenal, and UTD in the 90's to early 2000 won the league playing good football and were not dirty bastards, that side is generally respected in football.

The Shite, Stoke, Chelsea are known for having dirty players and are known as dirt sides.

Suarez is one of the best players in the world- so yes I want us to have the best players in the world with a winning mentality. Not arsed about integrity and being gentlemen, I don't care one bit about it.

Is that the United that had Roy Keane as their captain, probably the dirtiest player of his time, a winner and winners do what ever it takes to win, so I would take every player you mentioned that you wouldn't in a heartbeat, because there winners and they know that winning is everything.

Glad I'm not on my own here. Winners first, nice guys second for me.

LB, as a 33 year old I'm guessing we are of similar age. My standard of heros and legends of the club are the fellas with the medals, I wasn't lucky enough to see them apart from 95. From that team Watson and Neville are legends for me. But this club has had some of the greatest players to grace the English game. They are the legends I want the club to aspire to.

Edited by StevO

LB, as a 33 year old I'm guessing we are of similar age. My standard of heros and legends of the club are the fellas with the medals, I wasn't lucky enough to see them apart from 95. From that team Watson and Neville are legends for me. But this club has had some of the greatest players to grace the English game. They are the legends I want the club to aspire to.

Imagine turning your nose up to Someone like Suarez out of principle

I'm a little older but I don't really remember the glory team of the 80's. Just my opinion but its easier to be a hero in a team of grates. It's harder when to be one when the team is struggling. Watson and Neville are heroes to me (although my main memory of Big Nev is him having a sulk at half time and staying sat in his goal). For me Ferguson, and Cahill, are my heroes, honorable mentions to Arteta and Unsworth, but its a matter of personal choice and I respect yours and others.

I agree with you, we have had some of the greats play for us, and should aspire to those standards now. I love us being the "School of Science" and I want us to be that again, to win titles and cups. Under Koeman and Moshiri I believe we are on the way back to that. NSNO

Is that the United that had Roy Keane as their captain, probably the dirtiest player of his time, a winner and winners do what ever it takes to win, so I would take every player you mentioned that you wouldn't in a heartbeat, because there winners and they know that winning is everything.

Winning is not everything. We differ on that.

Winning is not everything. We differ on that.

Agreed. Winning is not everything and, as Paddock turns his nose up at principle, principle matters. Teams can win by cheating and gaining leverage in so many shady ways.

Paddock, you sure seem to think principle matters in the Virgil Van Dijk thread, talking about how Liverpool should be reported yet again for tapping him up. How is principle different for player or club?

And, again, I don't know why you have such difficulty with your reading comprehension, but there's a difference between a fierce competitor who is not a "nice guy" and a dirty player with violent conduct. I already made it clear in this thread that I'm happy with a player who's not afraid to yell, scream and confront another player or a ref. I'm happy with a player who's not afraid of the occasional harsh challenge. Further, winners are arrogant about their ability to win, and I'll accept that all day. Those are not qualities of a Jagielka-style "nice guy."

But you're talking about accepting vicious violent conduct, some of which is to gain a clear advantage on the field, as being acceptable if it means winning. I support Everton in part because we are not, and have never been a club that will accept that.

Sound.

I would run naked around the city centre if it meant we could sign Suarez. Unbelievable player. Just made up that lot never got to keep him.

Genuine world class player.

For all these fans that feign horror at the thought of signing players who are a big nasty on the pitch - our club had a fair few of them in its time. Johnny morrissey, Bobby Collins.... and they wouldn't think twice about putting in a genuine leg breaker on a player.

Agreed. Winning is not everything and, as Paddock turns his nose up at principle, principle matters. Teams can win by cheating and gaining leverage in so many shady ways.

Paddock, you sure seem to think principle matters in the Virgil Van Dijk thread, talking about how Liverpool should be reported yet again for tapping him up. How is principle different for player or club?

But where do you draw the line? Happy to keep a player like Gerry who dived every 5 mins? What about Williams who stood someone's back in the Derby? What about Mori who went way over the top in the Derby?

Difficult thing these morals ?

But where do you draw the line? Happy to keep a player like Gerry who dived every 5 mins? What about Williams who stood someone's back in the Derby? What about Mori who went way over the top in the Derby?

Difficult thing these morals

Geri - infuriated and I always complained when he did

Williams - Was angry, stupid thing to do

Mori - Really fucking stupid and dangerous

For Williams and Mori, these were one-off idiotic moments in a high-tension game. For me it's quite easy to define the morals

I would run naked around the city centre if it meant we could sign Suarez. Unbelievable player. Just made up that lot never got to keep him.

Genuine world class player.

For all these fans that feign horror at the thought of signing players who are a big nasty on the pitch - our club had a fair few of them in its time. Johnny morrissey, Bobby Collins.... and they wouldn't think twice about putting in a genuine leg breaker on a player.

I'm too young to remember these 2 but I'm glad we've moved on from that.

And, again, I don't know why you have such difficulty with your reading comprehension, but there's a difference between a fierce competitor who is not a "nice guy" and a dirty player with violent conduct. I already made it clear in this thread that I'm happy with a player who's not afraid to yell, scream and confront another player or a ref. I'm happy with a player who's not afraid of the occasional harsh challenge. Further, winners are arrogant about their ability to win, and I'll accept that all day. Those are not qualities of a Jagielka-style "nice guy."

But you're talking about accepting vicious violent conduct, some of which is to gain a clear advantage on the field, as being acceptable if it means winning. I support Everton in part because we are not, and have never been a club that will accept that.

Not once have I said I accept violent conduct. Nor do I accept your opinion of my reading comprehension. Thanks though. Have a nice day.

Geri - infuriated and I always complained when he did

Williams - Was angry, stupid thing to do

Mori - Really fucking stupid and dangerous

For Williams and Mori, these were one-off idiotic moments in a high-tension game. For me it's quite easy to define the morals

Geri - well done for complaining ?. Did it stop you cheering his goals/assists?

Williams is a thug. Some terrible challenges last year and clearly not a one off.

Agreed on Mori but he caused a serious injury to a player yet Suarez barely left a mark when he bit IvanOvich. What's worse?

if you need the difference between the two explaining then there is no point debating it with you. Wanting a world class player is one thing- illegally tapping him up is something entirely different and something I absolutely wouldn't want us to do but have him play for us if he wanted to and his parent club wanted to sell- yep, 100% for me.

Geri - well done for complaining . Did it stop you cheering his goals/assists?

Williams is a thug. Some terrible challenges last year and clearly not a one off.

Agreed on Mori but he caused a serious injury to a player yet Suarez barely left a mark when he bit IvanOvich. What's worse?

What's worse? Mori made a poorly timed tackle, Suarez tried to bite someone. Tackling is part of the game, the good stuff and bad. Biting is physical assault. You tell me what's worse.

Williams isn't a thug in my opinion. A bit slow to react sometimes I'll grant you but a thug implies malice for me. I can't remember a terrible challenge as you mention, bar the stupid derby moment, but it is Monday morning and I'm only on my second coffee.

Geri - of course I celebrated. I was felt ashamed and angry when he dived, as I do with every player regardless.

I knew you would and that's your perogative. Personally, I want us to win and to do that we need the best players. Turning our noses up at them because we don't like some of the things he's done on a football field is ridiculous imo. Nobody applauds him (or any player) for the money they donate to charity, hospitals they build back in poor countries, schools, water wells etc. No fuck all that he's an animal on the pitch so lets all judge him as a human being on that.

They're like that because they are winners, something we are massively lacking in.

id do the exact same thing