IGNORED

Diego Costa

12 hours ago, StevO said:

You know Atletico are top of La Liga? And Luis Suarez has scored seven goals in ten league games for them? Not so easy to get in a team ahead of him. However awful Costa has been for Atletico it’s probably still better than Tosun has been for us.

Id take this geriatric Luis Suarez too. 

this again, so every player on that team is quality because they are top of the league?  talk about gross generalization.  i have noticed Ste you just love a big name, regardless of age/injuries/decline.  

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Yep, I think everyone knows that I follow Barcelona as much as I can and with having half of my family Portuguese end up watching quite a bit of European football (though I try to keep up as much as I can anyway). 

Suarez has lost his pace yes but that wasn't really his game to begin with, he had it in his locker but he's always been a poacher, hanging in and around the six yard box and popping up when the time is right, if you were to make a montage of his goals in Spain you wouldn't find many where he uses his speed to burst past 2 or 3 players. He's your Lewandowski type striker, hang around and always in the right place. 

Edit: Diego Costa's contract has been mutually terminated - official announcement just come through Atletico's Twitter. I assume he next destination could be Tottenham, linking up with Mourinho? Arsenal so that he can be back in London (though Spurs obviously ticks that too). 

what does having a portuguese family have to do with following a uruguyan footballer?

yes i try and watch atletico when i can, i think simeone is a great manager, he's done a great job with them in spite of their mountain of debts.  the fact of the matter is suarez is old and wouldn't be doing the same thing in the premier league.  la liga's defenders are well below the premier league standard.  costa is even worse at this stage.  the only thing he would add is physicality and nastiness and i don't think either of those would be a benefit.  

40 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you wanted mou after he had crashed and burned his last 3 clubs, the list of players i'm not gonna waste my time trying to find them all, costa khedira the two that makes me wonder.

Mourinho crashed and burned where? His last three clubs? United where he won the league cup and Europa league? Chelsea where he won the league cup and the league? Madrid where he won the league and the copa Del Rey? That’s the kind of crashed and burn I want! Imagine a manager being so finished he only manages to win a few leagues and cups. 

Ive been unlucky enough to watch Costa play against us many time and in his prime he wouldn’t even be on our radar, but we need a striker and I think he could do a good job on a free. He isn’t at his best anymore, but if he was we wouldn’t have a chance. But I think he has enough left that he could be a great help and much better than Cenk Tosun. Costa hasn’t scored many goals lately, but neither has Cenk. 

Khedira, I didn’t say buy him, but I did say if he’s fit he gets in our team, because he’s a very good player. But he’s not fit. You compared him to Zlatan, Silva and Cavani. Who likes a big name?

Let’s throw Suarez in there too, as I rate him. But I’ve been unlucky enough to watch him play against us too and he was superb.

We can throw Gotze in there too, I rated him when he won the World Cup. We disagreed on him recently too.

I don’t like “a big name” despite age or decline, but I like players who can improve us. Top players are not likely to come to Everton, so we can either pick them up on the way up before they are that good or as they are on their decline. 
You have James as your profile pic. If he was still at the peak of his powers and the peak of his fitness he wouldn’t be at Everton. But still, big name isn’t he?!

I’ve been watching football my whole life, and I’ve seen many good players who could improve us. My opinions on players isn’t because they are big names, its because of how I’ve seen them play and I think they could help. If they have declined and I rate them it’s because I think they still have plenty of offer. If I don’t think they could help then I’m not interested. I think Leighton Baines, despite his age, could have helped us for another year. I think we let Jags go a year too soon too. Not big names but players past their best who I think could still help us. My opinions are based on my experiences of watching these players, not because of their names. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

this again, so every player on that team is quality because they are top of the league?  talk about gross generalization.  i have noticed Ste you just love a big name, regardless of age/injuries/decline.  

what does having a portuguese family have to do with following a uruguyan footballer?

yes i try and watch atletico when i can, i think simeone is a great manager, he's done a great job with them in spite of their mountain of debts.  the fact of the matter is suarez is old and wouldn't be doing the same thing in the premier league.  la liga's defenders are well below the premier league standard.  costa is even worse at this stage.  the only thing he would add is physicality and nastiness and i don't think either of those would be a benefit.  

Mark, I appreciate the hell out of you and all you bring to TT. And being a fellow US'er.  But I don't know if I've ever seen you say "Actually you're right, I was wrong" on any topic. Luis Suarez is still one of the top strikers in European football, and you're just doubling down now

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Mark, I appreciate the hell out of you and all you bring to TT. And being a fellow US'er.  But I don't know if I've ever seen you say "Actually you're right, I was wrong" on any topic. Luis Suarez is still one of the top strikers in European football, and you're just doubling down now

ive been wrong about many things (sandro being the largest foible) and have said as such.  you just won't see me go along with the TT crowd like most do on here.  i don't rate suarez anymore, i don't care what others think.  doesn't look like we will get costa anyways, so bullet dodged.

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

ive been wrong about many things (sandro being the largest foible) and have said as such.  you just won't see me go along with the TT crowd like most do on here.  i don't rate suarez anymore, i don't care what others think.  doesn't look like we will get costa anyways, so bullet dodged.

You're such a rebel🤙

Did anyone see which way the crowd went? Think I'm lost:unsure:

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

As Carlo ever mentioned him and was he a regular in his team

Not sure but he said Milik is more complete striker than Icardi.

Played 35 games last season with 14 goals ( 2,109 minutes - goal every 150 minutes ). Good in the air but also good with his feet. I think he is a realistic back up striker and easily better than Tosun whilst offering higher re-sale value over Costa.

Edit - 18/19 season was 47 games, 20 goals/4 assists.

9 hours ago, Btay said:

I think we should go for Milik from Napoli first. He isn’t even in their 25 squad and it’s crazy. He’s a very good footballer. Only 26 as well 

Seen a couple of links for him to Juventus and Atlético. He’d be someone I’d like here though.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

Not sure but he said Milik is more complete striker than Icardi.

Played 35 games last season with 14 goals ( 2,109 minutes - goal every 150 minutes ). Good in the air but also good with his feet. I think he is a realistic back up striker and easily better than Tosun whilst offering higher re-sale value over Costa.

Edit - 18/19 season was 47 games, 20 goals/4 assists.

Good stats if he’s willing to come here and fight to get into the starting line up then he’s definitely got to be a serious contender. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Good stats if he’s willing to come here and fight to get into the starting line up then he’s definitely got to be a serious contender. 

If we are in Europe next season we will need a decent back up striker. Think this could be a go.

Throw in Isco and Khedira and I’m pretty happy with that window.

If true, this would make things interesting. I assume he wouldn't want to pay the €15m so perhaps has an agreement both not in Spain and not in the Champions League (where we would fit the bill). 

I cant seem to get him moving to Arsenal to be back in London out of my head, but who knows. Perhaps the chance to rotate with Calvert-Lewin as a back-up for six months is appealing.

Luis Suarez and Diego Costa would chop off their fingers for goals and wins.

Suarez is possibly one of the best players I've seen in the prem in his time at Liverpool... Fantastic player.  Even if he's 70% of the player he was he would add so much to the squad.  Costa again, combative, strong, winners mentality.

At the right price and for the right reason these players improve us. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Luis Suarez and Diego Costa would chop off their fingers for goals and wins.

Suarez is possibly one of the best players I've seen in the prem in his time at Liverpool... Fantastic player.  Even if he's 70% of the player he was he would add so much to the squad.  Costa again, combative, strong, winners mentality.

At the right price and for the right reason these players improve us. 

It's through gritted teeth, but Luis Suarez is one of the best forwards to play in the Premier League. He single handedly dragged them to 2nd in the league when they should really have won it (when they bottled the 5 point lead) and was unplayable at times. 

The King will always be Thierry Henry for me, used to be amazed by him as a kid but Luis is absolutely up there too. Just a shame he had to be a magician for Liverpool.

55 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's through gritted teeth, but Luis Suarez is one of the best forwards to play in the Premier League. He single handedly dragged them to 2nd in the league when they should really have won it (when they bottled the 5 point lead) and was unplayable at times. 

The King will always be Thierry Henry for me, used to be amazed by him as a kid but Luis is absolutely up there too. Just a shame he had to be a magician for Liverpool.

Henry used to absolutely amaze me. His pace, his technique, never rushed. Class!
I hated watching Suarez play against us. I’d think he’s done nothing but be a knob all game, but he’s normally picked up a couple of goals. Like everything fell in the right place for him, but through talent rather than luck. 
Torres used to pain me. He was just electric when he played for that lot, I couldn’t help but love watching him play. His pace, how he finished, he was unplayable but he was a red. 

I always hated watching Fowler in the Derby, he was right knob at Goodison always goading the crowd and over doing it, he was a local lad who got what the games meant to City, but I hated seeing him gloating and he new it got to us. 
The PL has been blessed with some brilliant players we’ve lucky enough to have seen them in the flesh, one player I always loved to watch was Bergkamp he use to just mesmerise me when he was in possession of the ball. 

As this topic has obviously gone off on a tangent (like any TT topic worth its salt), I’d like to throw Ruud van Nistelrooy’s name into the mix. He’s so often overlooked because of the injuries and relatively short time in the league but he was an absolute goal machine and one of the best strikers to have played in the league in my opinion.

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Henry used to absolutely amaze me. His pace, his technique, never rushed. Class!
I hated watching Suarez play against us. I’d think he’s done nothing but be a knob all game, but he’s normally picked up a couple of goals. Like everything fell in the right place for him, but through talent rather than luck. 
Torres used to pain me. He was just electric when he played for that lot, I couldn’t help but love watching him play. His pace, how he finished, he was unplayable but he was a red. 

Suarez ability to put a ball between a defenders legs even though they were half expecting it was barring on genius.... It tormented me as a fan watching jags and Distin against him.... Pure menace, yeah Torres and Gerrard had the same air of "it's gonna happen"..... Rush did it in the 80s. Horrible.