IGNORED

Diego Costa

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Is he still a world class player though? 5 goals in two seasons? Seems a player on the decline to meย 

Combined goals/assists of 9 in 18 starts in 17/18.

Combined goals/assists of 6 in 18 starts in 18/19.

I'm not sure if he hasn't started that many games due to poor form/attitude or fully due to injury as I know he has had time out this season.

The return over the last two seasons isn't the worst in the world. I havent seen much of him since he left Chelsea but he could be worth a risk, although I doubt there is any real interset in him as he doesnt seem to fit into Brands philosophy - but on the same note are we realistically going to find a prolific goal scorer who is younger than 24 who would come to us and for a reasonable fee?

I know it doesnt really make a difference but he actually has 8 goals in the past two seasons, although these have come in 36 starts. Hardly prolific, but it'd be nice to have a player up top who runs relentlessly for the team, has bags of aggression and who is a proven goal scorer (or has been).

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Fuck. No. Heโ€™d be Etoo all over again.ย 

Why would he be like Etoโ€™o?ย No rumours of him causing problems at his previous clubs has he? I doubt we would have tried so hard in the past to sign him, and Simeone wanting him, if he was a trouble maker.

Coukd we pick up a better striker on a short team deal? I doubt it. Massive upgrade on Tosun. Could rest DCL without such a big drop in quality.ย 

20 minutes ago, StevO said:

Why would he be like Etoโ€™o?ย No rumours of him causing problems at his previous clubs has he? I doubt we would have tried so hard in the past to sign him, and Simeone wanting him, if he was a trouble maker.

Coukd we pick up a better striker on a short team deal? I doubt it. Massive upgrade on Tosun. Could rest DCL without such a big drop in quality.ย 

To be fair on a short term 6 month deal its a no brainer to have him. Asย you say massive upgrade on Cenk, although I am beginning to think I would be an upgrade on Cenk!

Would not like him her much longer than that tho.ย 

17 minutes ago, StevO said:

Yes, he does, quite a few based on a quick google. Plus he has had a few issues with us. Did we try hard to sign him or was that just paper bollocks?
ย 

Heโ€™s just a prick and Iโ€™m sure he was right up Simeone street because heโ€™s the โ€œbig dogโ€ character too.ย 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, he does, quite a few based on a quick google. Plus he has had a few issues with us. Did we try hard to sign him or was that just paper bollocks?
ย 

Heโ€™s just a prick and Iโ€™m sure he was right up Simeone street because heโ€™s the โ€œbig dogโ€ character too.ย 

Didnt another player take a different squad number than 19 because they thought we had him in the bag?

Fair enough that heโ€™s a prick, one of the reasons I like him. We donโ€™t have as many in our team as we used to, but the current crop have shown a bit more nasty this season.ย 
ย 

Heโ€™ll probably end up at Spurs and thrive I reckon.ย 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

was he released by atletico?

Watched himย few times while heโ€™s been there, played shit... then threw stuff in a tantrum when subbed, and threw comments at the manager while going past.

Total tit who isnโ€™t actually any good anymore. Not a chance in hell weโ€™re going for him.

22 minutes ago, StevO said:

Didnt another player take a different squad number than 19 because they thought we had him in the bag?

Fair enough that heโ€™s a prick, one of the reasons I like him. We donโ€™t have as many in our team as we used to, but the current crop have shown a bit more nasty this season.ย 
ย 

Heโ€™ll probably end up at Spurs and thrive I reckon.ย 

It was dismissed as nonsense apparently, and his 12 goals since he left Chelsea a few years ago doesnโ€™t exactly compensate for his cunteryย 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's been awful for atletico, a geriatric luiz suarez is getting starts over him!ย  if he's not good enough for lower league La Liga sides he will be awful here, no from me.

Do you even know about / research half of the players that you post about? Suarez is an insane player, regardless of age and was one of the reasons that Barcelona were so good despite having such a poor squad and going through such turmoil last season - 147 goals in 191 in his Barcelona career and has 7 goals in 10 so far this season - not hard to work out why Costa isn't starting for Madrid. Nothing at all to do with Suarez's age and insane to suggest that's the case.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Do you even know about / research half of the players that you post about? Suarez is an insane player, regardless of age and was one of the reasons that Barcelona were so good despite having such a poor squad and going through such turmoil last season - 147 goals in 191 in his Barcelona career and has 7 goals in 10 so far this season - not hard to work out why Costa isn't starting for Madrid. Nothing at all to do with Suarez's age and insane to suggest that's the case.

Have you watched him? ย Heโ€™s lost his pace which made him so devastating. ย Heโ€™s not the same Suarez that was at Barca or the shite. ย Heโ€™s had some injuries that have slowed him or itโ€™s just Father Time.

ย 

still a no on costa.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's been awful for atletico, a geriatric luiz suarez is getting starts over him!ย  if he's not good enough for lower league La Liga sides he will be awful here, no from me.

You know Atleticoย are top of La Liga? And Luis Suarez has scored seven goals in ten league games for them? Not so easy to get in a team ahead of him. However awful Costa has been for Atletico itโ€™s probably still better than Tosun has been for us.

Id take this geriatric Luis Suarez too.ย 

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Have you watched him? ย Heโ€™s lost his pace which made him so devastating. ย Heโ€™s not the same Suarez that was at Barca or the shite. ย Heโ€™s had some injuries that have slowed him or itโ€™s just Father Time.

ย 

still a no on costa.

I think the real question, Mark, is have you watched Suarez? Heโ€™s scored seven in ten for the team at the top of the league. Doesnโ€™t seem like heโ€™s missing the pace to me.ย 
Last season he managed 36 games, the season before 49, three seasons before that he managed 50+, and before that he managed no less than 37 games per season since coming to Europe in 2006.ย 
I donโ€™t think too many injuries have bothered him.ย 
It doesnโ€™t take long to look a player up.ย 
If youโ€™re going to slag of Suarez make it about him biting people, or being racist, or being a red, but donโ€™t talk shit about his performances. Heโ€™s still a top player and itโ€™s not shame to play second fiddle to someone of his quality.ย 

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

ย 

still a no on costa.

Yep, I think everyone knows that I follow Barcelona as much as I can and with having half of my family Portuguese end up watching quite a bit of European football (though I try to keep up as much as I can anyway).ย 

Suarez has lost his pace yes but that wasn't really his game to begin with, he had it in his locker but he's always been a poacher, hanging in and around the six yard box and popping up when the time is right, if you were to make a montage of his goals in Spain you wouldn't find many where he uses his speed to burst past 2 or 3 players. He's your Lewandowski type striker, hang around and always in the right place.ย 

Edit: Diego Costa's contract has been mutually terminated - official announcement just come through Atletico's Twitter. I assume he next destination could be Tottenham, linking up with Mourinho? Arsenal so that he can be back in London (though Spurs obviously ticks that too).ย 

ย