IGNORED

Who should replace Koeman?

Who should be Everton's new manager?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see replace Ronald Koeman as manager of Everton?

• Carlo Ancelotti
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Eddie Howe
    • Sean Dyche
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Rafael Benitez
    • David Unsworth
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Someone else
    • Keep Koeman

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

It probabaly doesnt work but it sounded good at the time :)

In fairness, City were probably the better team but we scored and they didnt. I wouldnt say we far superior to them in any way other than the score board.

That was an obvious easy to use example to be honest!

But I really don't think that theory holds much weight. We usually beat most teams in a season except the Sky Top 6, so it rules out a lot of managers!!!

5 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

But we smashed City under Pep too, so surely that theory doesn' work?!

Going back to this again...

City had 13 shots and created 7 chances against us (we had 6 shots and 6 chances)

Hull had 5 shots and 3 chances (we had 15 shots and 12 chances)

Burnley had 13 shots and 5 chances (we had 30 shots and 20 chances)

Therefore if we cant get Pep we should go for Dyche :)

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

That was an obvious easy to use example to be honest!

But I really don't think that theory holds much weight. We usually beat most teams in a season except the Sky Top 6, so it rules out a lot of managers!!!

You have misinterpreted me dear Newty. Its not that we have beaten other managers, its how they have been beaten.

Even when we beat Burnley last season, they gave us a game (I cant remember it myself but the stats suggest so). Watford gave us a game for 60 mins this year before throwing in the towel and Hull were worse last season.

Given the predicament we are in I think I would prefer to have a manager that will keep us in games for as long as possible, and in my opinion that is more Dyche than Silva.

38 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I'm not suggesting Unsworth has the same mentality as Koeman, in case that's what you are thinking.

But I do feel slightly annoyed by Unsworths post match comments about changing it at half time because "der der der", because I've heard this stuff all season and it is wearing a bit thin now

Yeah I get you mate, I went off on a bit of a tangent. I dont mind Unsy but for me if he wanted the job he had to beat palace.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You have misinterpreted me dear Newty. Its not that we have beaten other managers, its how they have been beaten.

Even when we beat Burnley last season, they gave us a game (I cant remember it myself but the stats suggest so). Watford gave us a game for 60 mins this year before throwing in the towel and Hull were worse last season.

Given the predicament we are in I think I would prefer to have a manager that will keep us in games for as long as possible, and in my opinion that is more Dyche than Silva.

Will it not just be easier to interview them?!

And, me? Misinterpret someone? Pfft. Unheard of.

21 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I will repost the question in here as it’s moe relevant to this thread and don’t think Matt or Bill will see it in the match day thread

Honest question to Bill, Matt and anyone else who thinks relegation is inconceivable.
Given we have just been fortunate to get a point against the side who are bottom of the table, and who before today had only amassed a grand total of 4 points all season. If we are not in danger who is?

Didn’t get to see much of the game, but I’ll repeat; I’m not worried yet. If we’re still shite after January’s window then I’ll really panic. Until then, there’s a fuckton of points to play for and there’s been very small improvements since Koeman left. 4 points from 2 games now, should've been 6 in theory, maybe 2 based on performance. But it’s an improvement. 

I do wish they’d stop dicking around with this management situation and offer some stability. The longer this goes on, the more damage it will do. 

Its interesting watching Watford because they really do play some great football at times. They always look like they are a threat and they will create plenty of chances. The problem is that they have conceded almost as many good chances at the other end. The difference in this game has been the keepers. Gomes makes 3 world class saves and they have one cleared off the line, yet Hart's weak wrists let a shot go in that he probably should have saved. My worry would be that confidence is so low already, would Silva be able to get the players in the right mentality to play his way. He did it at Hull I suppose.

Looking at how he has played so far this season is quite interesting. He has switched between a back 4 and 5. He uses one defensive midfielder in Doucoure who is largely responsible for sitting the deepest (however he still gets forward) and then he has Cleverly playing more of a supporting box to box role. They seem to rotate quite a lot but I think Cleverly is the more aggressive presser. I have seen Doucoure get to the byline a couple of times though so I dont think they are tied down. When one of them is forward the other sits and then acts as a quarterback, pinging passes into space. Up front he uses 3. The one up front needs to have a bit of everything and I think its important that they bring people into the game. Gray has done really well against West Ham. Richarlison, plays almost as high up the pitch on the left hand side. Its something Martinez used to do, making them a threat on the counter but also vulnerable down that side. As a result the left back doesnt really bomb forward, at least not as much as the right back however that could just be this game. On the other side, he has used Hughes who has buzzed around the pitch but largely defended in the right wing position. This would make sense as to why the RB gets forward as Hughes comes out of position and it allows space for him to move into. A lot of the time, he has dropped into a 3rd central midfield position, recycling the ball. It means that whoever is on the ball has a lot of passing options because they make the pitch nice and wide leaving pockets of space. You can see why they create a lot of chances.

At the back they have 5 average defenders, maybe with better defenders they will perform better and tighten things up. I dont watch them and think they are being overly risky, it all looks fairly solid. Against us it was individual errors that let us into the game but that wasnt the case against West Ham. Its only 6 months since he joined so maybe that is something that will improve.

Would our players suit this system? I think DCL would work well as the striker, Niasse not so much. Davies and Barkley would be perfect to play on the right. Schneiderlin would suit as the holding player. Davies would fit the bill for the other central player too, as would Klaasen I expect. Sigurdsson could maybe play the right hand position when Barkley goes. Gana, Besic wouldnt really fit. Kenny would do well at right back, Lookman or Vlasic could play left sided and that would suit Baines who could be a bit more holding too. Im not sure where Rooney would fit into this system.

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

I really couldn’t care less if he gets us winning in the meantime. 

I realized how dumb that sounded after I said it. If a manager does good enough to warrant a job at a "superclub", then it probably means success for us in the meantime. Clarifying, I just hope that it's somebody who brings us success and either stays, or waits out for the right superclub should success occur. Silva seems to be a bit of a merchant. 

Shame. Managers quit too quickly these days, Boards sack them too quickly, players even quicker to move for a slightly higher wage or for a bigger club

2 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

I realized how dumb that sounded after I said it. If a manager does good enough to warrant a job at a "superclub", then it probably means success for us in the meantime. Clarifying, I just hope that it's somebody who brings us success and either stays, or waits out for the right superclub should success occur. Silva seems to be a bit of a merchant. 

Shame. Managers quit too quickly these days, Boards sack them too quickly, players even quicker to move for a slightly higher wage or for a bigger club

Loyalty is dead all around now, from fans right up to the board. Everyone knows where they stand so you’ve just got to roll with it and I’m fine with that, I’ve accepted it.