IGNORED

January Transfer Window

Realistically, once Coleman and Baines are healthy, what are we looking at as our best XI (with subs) after the window?

Mine would be:

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Williams Baines

Rooney    Gana

Walcott     Sigurdsson    Vlasic

Tosun

Subs: Davies, Lookman, Keane, Kenny, McCarthy, DCL, Robles

That notably leaves Sandro, Klaassen, Schneiderlin, Jags, Lennon, Bolasie, Niasse, Besic, Baningime, and Funes Mori not even on the bench (Martina is not notable). With everyone healthy, the squad will be far too big for just the PL.

This leads me to think that we will definitely need to do more business this window, and that we desperately need to loan several of those younger players away to lower-tier PL clubs (or competitive Championship sides). My preferences would be Lookman, Baningime, and Sandro.

We also need to trim some fat. Jags really does seem past it, and with 4 other CB ahead of him, I think he needs to be moved on or take a coaching job (preferred). I no longer rate Schneiderlin due to his inconsistency, and think we could move him on for close to what we paid still. If we loan out Lookman and Sandro, I think Bolasie can serve as a valuable backup. Lennon should move on, as should Niasse and Stek.

Any cover for injuries after that can be taken care of by youth (though I'm not sure this is possible since most are out on loan already, but whatever, we're shit anyway and square pegs in round holes).

This is not to say that the starting XI above is good enough to break the top 6, but I no longer think that's possible this season, and we'll need to do much better business this summer than last to have a chance at a decent 2018-19 season.

1 hour ago, Aidan Lewis said:

Bolasi doesn't feature at all, not even on the bench?! That's madness!

He's been very poor since returning and I'm not sure he showed enough before his injury. I think we've seen his ceiling and it's not good enough. Lookman and Vlasic are young, and given our current position, I'd rather see them get a chance. That said, I'd prefer a loan move for Lookman and that would obviously open up a spot for Bolasie. I'd be a bit disappointed if he was still one of our best options next season.

13 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

Realistically, once Coleman and Baines are healthy, what are we looking at as our best XI (with subs) after the window?

Mine would be:

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Williams Baines

Rooney    Gana

Walcott     Sigurdsson    Vlasic

Tosun

Subs: Davies, Lookman, Keane, Kenny, McCarthy, DCL.

Only thing wrong with your team is the back four, Coleman won't be the same player when he comes back, and will have a hard job removing Kenny.  Keane will get in before Williams, and we might have to buy a RB to replacece Baines, other than that I like the rest.  

It's all about opinions and I've given you mine. ^_^

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Why? He's not even close to being ready, and was never as good as people hoped for to start with

The only player in our squad who has the x factor. I thought he showed signs of settling before his injury and people seem to have wrote him off after featuring in like 3 games this season despite spending a year out of action. 

I respect peoples opinion, but I see it as very harsh, give the lad the rest of the season and see where he is at then.

In my view, He is far better than Lookman and Vlasic who people on here seem to massively over rate.

16 minutes ago, Aidan Lewis said:

The only player in our squad who has the x factor. I thought he showed signs of settling before his injury and people seem to have wrote him off after featuring in like 3 games this season despite spending a year out of action. 

I respect peoples opinion, but I see it as very harsh, give the lad the rest of the season and see where he is at then.

In my view, He is far better than Lookman and Vlasic who people on here seem to massively over rate.

I don't see that Bolasie has any more of an x-factor than Lookman myself. Great dribbling skills, direct, pacey, questionable end product. Sure he's older, more experienced and physically stronger, but I don't see any reason why Lookman cannot be just as good if not better. One thing Lookman has got that has always been missing from Bolasie's game is goals