IGNORED

Blue Bill's shiny new stadium at the docks...

Lowensda

lets be honest here  Mr Burns knows nothing,  he proves this by saying the dock is restrictive.  I am not sure how restrictive he means, but we could build the largest football stadium in the world there if we wanted to.   I think he is really a jealous kopite who wants to get us out of the city altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Louis said:

Roman Abramovich's Chelsea have just announced the suspension of their stadium plans due to the "current unfavourable investment climate".

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/5/31/stadium-plans-on-hold

That's due to 1) Abramovich's troubles and 2) Probably being unable to find a suitable site for the right price in West London

29 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

That's due to 1) Abramovich's troubles and 2) Probably being unable to find a suitable site for the right price in West London

They are doing it on the Stamford Bridge site.

It will be Abramovich spitting his dummy out because he can't get UK citizenship. He's technically also not allowed to own Chelsea at the moment...I don't know how that works.

All fun and politics.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

fixed it for you

i bet he will sell the team if they keep fucking with him, those russian oligarchs have some much pride and arrogance, he won't take it lightly

Google the Magnitsky Act and also Bill Browder - I read Bill Browder's book "Red Notice", and its an amazing tale of corruption in Russia, Putin's abuse of power, and the oligarchs that make that country hell and profit off of their cronyist government. It certainly made me thankful to be born in America, while not a perfect land, does a better job than most at having rule of law.

5 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Google the Magnitsky Act and also Bill Browder - I read Bill Browder's book "Red Notice", and its an amazing tale of corruption in Russia, Putin's abuse of power, and the oligarchs that make that country hell and profit off of their cronyist government. It certainly made me thankful to be born in America, while not a perfect land, does a better job than most at having rule of law.

yeah i'm well aware of that guy.  a note though, he is kinda a scumbag.  he was being investigated in the US for tax fraud and when they finally caught up to him he left for russia.  once he got in the same problem over there then he came back and was all "russia is bad now".  ripped us off for years only to come back acting like he loved us all along.  

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i'm well aware of that guy.  a note though, he is kinda a scumbag.  he was being investigated in the US for tax fraud and when they finally caught up to him he left for russia.  once he got in the same problem over there then he came back and was all "russia is bad now".  ripped us off for years only to come back acting like he loved us all along.  

The tax issues he had in Russia were basically phony charges and a fraud in order to get him to leave the country because he had made himself an enemy of the nation's oligarchs and also Putin. 

As for him renouncing his U.S. citizenship for British citizenship, the U.S. taxes its citizens on income earned overseas (above an exemption number) where most other nations do not. For a man who built his entire career in Europe, it probably made sense for him from a financial perspective, especially when he was able to procure UK citizenship, which grants most of the same travel access as a U.S. passport with better tax effects for him. I work in finance, and don't particularly want to take this way off topic, so yeah, that's the short version. 

20 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

The tax issues he had in Russia were basically phony charges and a fraud in order to get him to leave the country because he had made himself an enemy of the nation's oligarchs and also Putin. 

As for him renouncing his U.S. citizenship for British citizenship, the U.S. taxes its citizens on income earned overseas (above an exemption number) where most other nations do not. For a man who built his entire career in Europe, it probably made sense for him from a financial perspective, especially when he was able to procure UK citizenship, which grants most of the same travel access as a U.S. passport with better tax effects for him. I work in finance, and don't particularly want to take this way off topic, so yeah, that's the short version. 

i understand, but he knew the laws and was trying not to pay his taxes, as a multi-millionaire who had plenty of money to pay them.  shady in my book.

50 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i understand, but he knew the laws and was trying not to pay his taxes, as a multi-millionaire who had plenty of money to pay them.  shady in my book.

I don't think you do. You realize that his fund was essentially investing in Russian companies, and to extract value for his investors, needed to expose corruption where government and company officials were essentially asset stripping the companies they were operating, engaging in dilutive share issuances, overall graft, etc...

Are you saying in Russia? Because that's not the case. The initial controversy stemmed from Russian police staging a raid on his offices, reregistering companies that his firm owned, and then changing past financials in order to claim a $230 million tax rebate from the Russian government (People who wanted to take Browder out basically stripped him of his assets, and simultaneously took $230 million from the government coffers to pay themselves off as well as the police "investigators" doing their bidding. This was all after he was basically barred from entering the country to engage in business.

Again, if you think the Russian government doesn't prop up phony charges against people who are enemies of the state, I suggest you google "Journalist Russia" or "Mikhail Khodorkovsky". 

Keep in mind that Russia has issues multiple arrest warrants for him through Interpol - no government, until yesterday (Spain), has acted upon any of these when he's transited through their countries. Why? The charges are clearly political, not based in fact, and Spain, after briefly detaining Browder yesterday, released him, acknowledging  that Russia is abusing the Interpol system. 

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

I don't think you do. You realize that his fund was essentially investing in Russian companies, and to extract value for his investors, needed to expose corruption where government and company officials were essentially asset stripping the companies they were operating, engaging in dilutive share issuances, overall graft, etc...

Are you saying in Russia? Because that's not the case. The initial controversy stemmed from Russian police staging a raid on his offices, reregistering companies that his firm owned, and then changing past financials in order to claim a $230 million tax rebate from the Russian government (People who wanted to take Browder out basically stripped him of his assets, and simultaneously took $230 million from the government coffers to pay themselves off as well as the police "investigators" doing their bidding. This was all after he was basically barred from entering the country to engage in business.

Again, if you think the Russian government doesn't prop up phony charges against people who are enemies of the state, I suggest you google "Journalist Russia" or "Mikhail Khodorkovsky". 

Keep in mind that Russia has issues multiple arrest warrants for him through Interpol - no government, until yesterday (Spain), has acted upon any of these when he's transited through their countries. Why? The charges are clearly political, not based in fact, and Spain, after briefly detaining Browder yesterday, released him, acknowledging  that Russia is abusing the Interpol system. 

you misunderstood me, i have no issues with his agenda against russia, that is well founded.  my issue is he was avoiding paying US taxes and denounced his US citizenship.  then when he got in trouble in russia he came running back to the country he denounced looking for help.  see below article and quote about leaving the US.  if he felt bad about the rule of law here why did he come back?  why not england after all that?  he's shady.

http://www.newsweek.com/who-bill-browder-694598

You renounced your American citizenship in the ’90s and moved to London. Tell me about that decision?
My grandfather was an American Communist, and he married my grandmother, who was a Russian Communist. During the 1950s, the McCarthy era, my family was viciously persecuted. [When] my grandmother was dying of cancer…the U.S....wanted to deport her back to Russia. It just left a legacy of bad feeling about the rule of law. Things can swing wildly in the wrong direction from time to time. And in a certain way, we’re sort of seeing that right now.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

you misunderstood me, i have no issues with his agenda against russia, that is well founded.  my issue is he was avoiding paying US taxes and denounced his US citizenship.  then when he got in trouble in russia he came running back to the country he denounced looking for help.  see below article and quote about leaving the US.  if he felt bad about the rule of law here why did he come back?  why not england after all that?  he's shady.

http://www.newsweek.com/who-bill-browder-694598

You renounced your American citizenship in the ’90s and moved to London. Tell me about that decision?
My grandfather was an American Communist, and he married my grandmother, who was a Russian Communist. During the 1950s, the McCarthy era, my family was viciously persecuted. [When] my grandmother was dying of cancer…the U.S....wanted to deport her back to Russia. It just left a legacy of bad feeling about the rule of law. Things can swing wildly in the wrong direction from time to time. And in a certain way, we’re sort of seeing that right now.

Shady would probably not be the term I would use to describe that behavior. I find that terminology to be particularly unnuanced and vague.

As for the irony of running back to the U.S.? Yes, I see how you find that ironic and perhaps hypocritical. I will note though, that he has worked with several foreign governments, including his own (United Kingdom) in dealing with both his persecution/case in Russia and getting the Magnitsky Act/Sanctions on Russia passed (https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-to-pass-version-of-u-s-magnitsky-act-targeting-russia-after-poisoning-1521055353), so he is not relying exclusively on the U.S. to promote his case and agenda - though, I'd note that it would be logical to seek the U.S.' help in any foreign relations/sanctions matter, given how much greater the U.S.' ability to impact foreign relations is than just about any other nation. 

As for renouncing ("renounce", not "denounce") one's U.S. citizenship, I would have no issue doing such a thing if I worked and lived abroad with no intention of returning to the U.S. while simultaneously being subject to U.S. taxes. My loyalties are to my own interests before that of any nation state, including the U.S.. I'll note that, under current law, renouncing your U.S. citizenship does subject you to an exit tax I believe. I believe it's a 22%-24% or so rate on capital gains over $600,000 on your assets. 

Actually, funnily enough though a little off topic, Italy has very esoteric and one could say silly citizenship rules granting birthright citizenship to those who can claim Italian citizenship for having a relative that was an Italian citizen as far back as one's great grandparents or further. It turns out that I could very well be eligible for Italian citizenship if I can get the appropriate documentation for my ancestor and ancestry line as well as play the waiting game required by the Italian bureaucracy. Several other countries (Germany, Ireland) have similar set ups but do not go past the grandparents for birthright claims or other countries (Poland) are generous with the generational lines but are quite strict with documentation (much of which has been destroyed through war).  Needless to say, I may attempt this which could gain me EU access.

Question: Are you a Bernie voter?

11 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Shady would probably not be the term I would use to describe that behavior. I find that terminology to be particularly unnuanced and vague.

As for the irony of running back to the U.S.? Yes, I see how you find that ironic and perhaps hypocritical. I will note though, that he has worked with several foreign governments, including his own (United Kingdom) in dealing with both his persecution/case in Russia and getting the Magnitsky Act/Sanctions on Russia passed (https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-to-pass-version-of-u-s-magnitsky-act-targeting-russia-after-poisoning-1521055353), so he is not relying exclusively on the U.S. to promote his case and agenda - though, I'd note that it would be logical to seek the U.S.' help in any foreign relations/sanctions matter, given how much greater the U.S.' ability to impact foreign relations is than just about any other nations. 

As for renouncing ("renounce", not "denounce") one's U.S. citizenship, I would have no issue doing such a thing if I worked and lived abroad with no intention of returning to the U.S. while simultaneously being subject to U.S. taxes. My loyalties are to my own interests before that of any nation state, including the U.S.. I'll note that, under current law, renouncing your U.S. citizenship does subject you to an exit tax I believe. I believe it's a 22%-24% or so rate on capital gains over $600,000 on your assets. 

Actually, funnily enough though a little off topic, Italy has very esoteric and one could say silly citizenship rules granting birthright citizenship to those who can claim Italian citizenship for having a relative that was an Italian citizen as far back as one's great grandparents or further. It turns out that I could very well be eligible for Italian citizenship if I can get the appropriate documentation for my ancestor and ancestry line as well as play the waiting game required by the Italian bureaucracy. Several other countries (Germany, Ireland) have similar set ups but do not go past the grandparents for birthright claims or other countries (Poland) are generous with the generational lines but are quite strict with documentation (much of which has been destroyed through war).  Needless to say, I may attempt this which could gain me EU access.

Question: Are you a Bernie voter?

registered independent so i didn't get to vote in the primaries, and voted green party in the general.  would have voted bernie if i could so yes i'm a pay my taxes and feel free to raise them kinda guy (i get that hedge fund managers are not lol).  i'm all about the magnitsky stuff, think he's doing the Lord's work there.  I just don't jive well with leaving the US due to taxes, getting in trouble and coming running back.  it just doesn't sit well with me.

I know this will sound a load of shite but I’m passing it on. I work for Sodexo who have a contract with Everton doing the catering. Girl I work with says her partners mate is involved in the design process or privvy to the build ideas. She says the stadium design is like a Galleon shape that fits into the waterfront and it’s meant to be fucking amazing. Probably shite but I liked the info 

• 2 weeks later...