IGNORED

Lucas Digne

As I said in the Rafa thread I was told from a very reliable source yesterday that the fall out was to do with Dignes attitude around Finch Farm, it’s obviously only hearsay but I believe the guy who told me and if that is the case then I’m afraid I’m fully behind Rafa on this one

A lot of people in here have been calling out Digne for his poor performances for a while now and I think we’ve all agreed that we were long overdue a manager who won’t pander the these prima donnas and will put a rocket under their arses so would people be reacting in this way if Ancelotti had frozen Digne out?

I just think people are so desperate for something to beat Benitez up with that they don’t want to know who is in the right here

Yes it was ridiculous playing Coleman on the left of a back 5 but maybe the reason Digne didn’t get a game is because we need to sell him this month to balance the books and therefore couldnt risk an injury

7 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

As I said in the Rafa thread I was told from a very reliable source yesterday that the fall out was to do with Dignes attitude around Finch Farm, it’s obviously only hearsay but I believe the guy who told me and if that is the case then I’m afraid I’m fully behind Rafa on this one

A lot of people in here have been calling out Digne for his poor performances for a while now and I think we’ve all agreed that we were long overdue a manager who won’t pander the these prima donnas and will put a rocket under their arses so would people be reacting in this way if Ancelotti had frozen Digne out?

I just think people are so desperate for something to beat Benitez up with that they don’t want to know who is in the right here

Yes it was ridiculous playing Coleman on the left of a back 5 but maybe the reason Digne didn’t get a game is because we need to sell him this month to balance the books and therefore couldnt risk an injury

Yea Dignes performances were not up to scratch, and that’s a great reason to drop him. But we’ve no back up. And then to play that formation with those players was just stupid. 

The difference if Carlo had frozen out Digne is that Carlo doesn’t have a history of publicly falling out with players, Digne doesn’t have a history of publicly falling out with managers, Rafa does. So many of his former players have criticised him for this. Over his whole career it’s been a talking point. But in the years Digne has been at the club managers have seen fit to make him vice captain. Can’t be that much of a bad egg? 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

One question then, what positives has he brought to what we see on the pitch? That’s where it matters but I’m not seeing any. I’m seeing no decent football and I’m seeing us get beaten every week. Great we’ve got some discipline in the squad, but it’s not helping us so far. 

Actually two questions, but I’ve asked this one before, how bad do results have to be before he should go? I get the idea of giving him a couple of years, I’m bored of having a new manager every year too, but these results are a shambles. One win in 12, so how bad can it get before he’s out of time? Do we let him take us down if it gets to that point?

Look at attempts on goal yesterday’s 17 on target 6 we have seen a massive improvement in that direction since he joined the club compared to last season particularly the last 3rd when we had 2-5 attempts and 1 on target in numerous games, for me that’s a positive goals coming from more players that’s a positive. Now that is being destroyed by the poor defending either individual errors team tactics or players not signing up to new regime and players who are simply not good enough to play in this league, so he now realises he has a problem in that department that he can’t defeat with the players at his disposal hence 2 full backs being signed and hopefully a quality CB if not in this window then the next. We have players to win a game imo against anyone, we don’t have the players capable of keeping a clean sheet or defending a lead. To be honest I’m sick of the last few years just going through the motions and finishing mid table having spent half a billion, and not seeing any improvement, I would stick with him to the bitter end of the season, I don’t think we will go down, but if that was to happen it could prove the best thing to happen and give us the best opportunity to rebuild and come back a better team, instead of the constant management out management in players in players out, and nothing for the supporters to look forward too, so I wouldn’t get rid of him this season. 

If Digne is that much of a problem, then why was he on the bench yesterday? If he is a bad egg, he shouldn't be around the group let alone on the bench. 

Same comments apply about the injury / sale. This money has come from nowhere so I can't believe he isnt about to be sold but why risk him going through the warm ups if he isn't going to be getting onto the pitch. 

Its all backwards thinking and it just sums the club up at the moment.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Yea Dignes performances were not up to scratch, and that’s a great reason to drop him. But we’ve no back up. And then to play that formation with those players was just stupid. 

The difference if Carlo had frozen out Digne is that Carlo doesn’t have a history of publicly falling out with players, Digne doesn’t have a history of publicly falling out with managers, Rafa does. So many of his former players have criticised him for this. Over his whole career it’s been a talking point. But in the years Digne has been at the club managers have seen fit to make him vice captain. Can’t be that much of a bad egg? 

Stop trying to make it a personality thing it’s got nothing to do with either of their past’s, I know the perception on here by a few is I don’t know what I’m on about, but trust me I know more than most, this is so simple a manager who wants to assert his way of playing on the team and a player who doesn’t want to play that way, I wouldn’t expect a manager to change his beliefs, and if a player felt so strongly that he believes I can’t play that style of football then the only option is the player doesn’t play and is sold for the benefit of all. 

38 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If Digne is that much of a problem, then why was he on the bench yesterday? If he is a bad egg, he shouldn't be around the group let alone on the bench. 

Same comments apply about the injury / sale. This money has come from nowhere so I can't believe he isnt about to be sold but why risk him going through the warm ups if he isn't going to be getting onto the pitch. 

Its all backwards thinking and it just sums the club up at the moment.

Or maybe the money has come from the owners who think buying players in much needed area's is more important at this moment in time than whether they break FFP rules, and a possible slap on the wrist or fine. Have we had a clear offer as yet for Digne does anyone know. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’ve already agreed on numerous occasions that Rafa got his tactics and selection hopelessly wrong yesterday but this is not about that it’s about the situation with Digne 

Him being vice captain is irrelevant , he was rewarded with a 5 year contract so back then things seemed happier all round but he wouldn’t be the first player to throw his toys out of the pram if he is agitating for a move

Yes Rafa has got form for falling out with players and holding a grudge , it was my main concern before he joined but you don’t seem to want to even consider that the rumours might be true

Every interview Rafa has done since this fall out he has managed to get in the line about only wanting players who want to be here, who do you think he is reddening to there?

On 29/12/2021 at 17:55, Palfy said:

No we want Chelsea will they will put targets he has to reach before any obligation to buy at the end of the season is completed. 

They won’t or we would never let it happen. We’ve made some stupid decisions but this would be ludicrous and laughable. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

But he was far from the problem - the results remain the same. 

I genuinely don’t see this being anything other than a senior player questioning Benitez methods. How dare he question Benitez!?! This is two egos that have clashed and unfortunately for your mate at Finch Farm Digne has always been a model pro UNTIL Benitez came in. Who has a history of falling out with players, coaches and colleagues. 

Wake up! Benitez is the decay in the rotten tooth. 

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Stop trying to make it a personality thing it’s got nothing to do with either of their past’s, I know the perception on here by a few is I don’t know what I’m on about, but trust me I know more than most, this is so simple a manager who wants to assert his way of playing on the team and a player who doesn’t want to play that way, I wouldn’t expect a manager to change his beliefs, and if a player felt so strongly that he believes I can’t play that style of football then the only option is the player doesn’t play and is sold for the benefit of all. 

The problem here is two fold. One the exact conversations had are unknown and the second is that the plan obviously isn’t working and goes against what most fans want to see.  

1 minute ago, barryj said:

They won’t or we would never let it happen. We’ve made some stupid decisions but this would be ludicrous and laughable. 

That’s the way of the world when it comes to loan players who have guaranteed purchase at the end of the loan, the team buying will want certain targets to be reached before the deal is finalised and the selling team will be in discussions as to what they are and if neither are happy it won’t happen. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

So how about I stop making out it’s Rafas personality and you stop making out it’s all Digne’s fault? 

45 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’ve already agreed on numerous occasions that Rafa got his tactics and selection hopelessly wrong yesterday but this is not about that it’s about the situation with Digne 

Him being vice captain is irrelevant , he was rewarded with a 5 year contract so back then things seemed happier all round but he wouldn’t be the first player to throw his toys out of the pram if he is agitating for a move

Yes Rafa has got form for falling out with players and holding a grudge , it was my main concern before he joined but you don’t seem to want to even consider that the rumours might be true

Every interview Rafa has done since this fall out he has managed to get in the line about only wanting players who want to be here, who do you think he is reddening to there?

Dunc, you’ve brought a rumour out of nowhere from some random at the club that we don’t know. But let’s take your rumour that he is a bad egg into account then, I revert back to his last few years when he’s been considered a good professional by his previous managers and made vice captain. Why does your unknown source think he’s a bad egg? Give us details. My source is Carlo Ancelotti making him vice captain, I don’t think that should be considered irrelevant. 

If Digne wants to leave I’m fine with it, no problem. He’s a valuable asset and I hope the new lad proves to be better. But we needed Digne on the pitch, and Rafa chose not to play him but was happy to have him around the squad, training, in meetings, on the bench. 

He won’t be the first player to disagree with the manager. But if the outcome to disagreeing with a manager is this kind of actions then I’m worried about how that influences the rest of the team. Think they all want to just keep their mouths shut and carry on regardless and voiceless? 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

So how about I stop making out it’s Rafas personality and you stop making out it’s all Digne’s fault? 

My intention wasn’t to make it look like it’s all Digne’s fault, Digne has been honest and told the manager he’s not happy with how the manager wants him to play, in the long run Digne’s honesty is more helpful than a hindrance, it means the manager can move forward with his plans and bring someone else in to fill the position, it could have been worse this could have all kicked off at the end of the transfer window, but Digne’s honesty has meant we have been able to get a replacement and hopefully he will get the move he wants. Isn’t that the best scenario all round. 

27 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My intention wasn’t to make it look like it’s all Digne’s fault, Digne has been honest and told the manager he’s not happy with how the manager wants him to play, in the long run Digne’s honesty is more helpful than a hindrance, it means the manager can move forward with his plans and bring someone else in to fill the position, it could have been worse this could have all kicked off at the end of the transfer window, but Digne’s honesty has meant we have been able to get a replacement and hopefully he will get the move he wants. Isn’t that the best scenario all round. 

I agree with all of that, but before this all kicked off there was no talk of him even wanting a move. I know which of the two I’d rather be at the club for longer, unfortunately we’ll probably just lose both of them over the next few months. 

10 minutes ago, StevO said:

I agree with all of that, but before this all kicked off there was no talk of him even wanting a move. I know which of the two I’d rather be at the club for longer, unfortunately we’ll probably just lose both of them over the next few months. 

The way things are heading I don’t think you’d get very good odds on that prediction. Still I’m trying my hardest to stay optimistic about the future, and if that means I have to take a few beatings along the way from my fellow Everton supporters then fair enough, but in the interest of a balanced argument I’m happy to be shot at. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Or maybe the money has come from the owners who think buying players in much needed area's is more important at this moment in time than whether they break FFP rules, and a possible slap on the wrist or fine. Have we had a clear offer as yet for Digne does anyone know. 

I dont know what the ramifications would be but I would be surprised if the league would allow one side to spend above FFP at the expense of the others, especially with a potential relegation battle. 

It would bring the game into disrepute.

Just now, Bailey said:

I dont know what the ramifications would be but I would be surprised if the league would allow one side to spend above FFP at the expense of the others, especially with a potential relegation battle. 

It would bring the game into disrepute.

There are 8 phases to the consequences of breaking FFP rules they start with slap on the wrists, then fines, then exclusion from competition’s and finally the ultimate which is points deductions which if enough were deducted then relegation could be the biggest penalty. I only remember one occasion of falling foul of FFP rules and I don’t remember what penalties we received, think it may have been a fine which means it possibly wasn’t our 1st offence, unless I’m getting mixed up with the fine we received for the poaching of Silva. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There are 8 phases to the consequences of breaking FFP rules they start with slap on the wrists, then fines, then exclusion from competition’s and finally the ultimate which is points deductions which if enough were deducted then relegation could be the biggest penalty. I only remember one occasion of falling foul of FFP rules and I don’t remember what penalties we received, think it may have been a fine which means it possibly wasn’t our 1st offence, unless I’m getting mixed up with the fine we received for the poaching of Silva. 

So which set of FFP rules are we in trouble with? Premier League or UEFA?
Surely the Premier League one won’t get us excluded from European competition, and surely the UEFA one won’t get us a Premier League points deduction? 

20 minutes ago, StevO said:

So which set of FFP rules are we in trouble with? Premier League or UEFA?
Surely the Premier League one won’t get us excluded from European competition, and surely the UEFA one won’t get us a Premier League points deduction? 

To be brutally honest I can’t remember what set of rules I read it was 4 or 5 weeks ago when this come up, but in the interest of fair play across all leagues which have an affiliation with UEFA you would like to think they pretty much all reflect the UEFA code. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

To be brutally honest I can’t remember what set of rules I read it was 4 or 5 weeks ago when this come up, but in the interest of fair play across all leagues which have an affiliation with UEFA you would like to think they pretty much all reflect the UEFA code. 

I don’t think they do reflect each other completely. But I don’t think they each have an affect on each other’s competitions. I think it’s the premier league one we have the issue with as we’re not in European competition, so being removed from competition probably isn’t on the table for us. Fines, warnings, maybe transfer bans and points deductions are in there somewhere. 

22 hours ago, Palfy said:

That’s the way of the world when it comes to loan players who have guaranteed purchase at the end of the loan, the team buying will want certain targets to be reached before the deal is finalised and the selling team will be in discussions as to what they are and if neither are happy it won’t happen. 

The ‘old fashioned’ style yes but not in the new world to circumvent/delay FFP or allow a purchase that wouldn’t be possible without such things. Eg. Kean

1 hour ago, barryj said:

The ‘old fashioned’ style yes but not in the new world to circumvent/delay FFP or allow a purchase that wouldn’t be possible without such things. Eg. Kean

Kean isn’t a done deal there were stipulations in place that I believe he had to achieve a certain amount of game’s or time playing, and if he didn’t they could refuse to buy him if they wanted to. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Kean isn’t a done deal there were stipulations in place that I believe he had to achieve a certain amount of game’s or time playing, and if he didn’t they could refuse to buy him if they wanted to. 

It’s an obligation to buy. The subject to any sporting objectives aspect I’m sure will be so low it’ll be pointless agreeing on our part unless it’s as good as a done deal. Unfortunately I don’t know what as I don’t believe they’ve been released so it’ll only be speculation. 

I still think Digne to Chelsea is a weird one. Chilwell is as good if not better and Alonso is adequate cover. My guess is Alonso is on his way out and Digne will be used in rotation with Chilwell. Not the move I'd expect him to make but maybe one he will be happy with. He will at least likely win trophies at Chelsea.