IGNORED

Lucas Digne

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Last I heard was that he’d be back in a couple of months and they were hopeful surgery won’t be needed.

https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/news/thomas-tuchel-provides-ben-chilwell-injury-update-after-acl-injury

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Thought it was just an ACL tear and out for up to 6 weeks

I wasn’t aware of this - just saw the original reports/fears that it was going to be a prolonged spell out. I stand corrected.

On 07/12/2021 at 16:26, RuffRob said:

There would be no reason to sell him cheap - if clubs think he would be available there would be plenty of takers for this 28 year old proven Premiership LB - I don't think we would have only one suitor who could drive the price down.  Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a on form Digne that a big fee, but form has been missing for a while. 

Given the players we have that would bring in a decent fee - DCL, Richy, Doucoure, Godfrey or Pickford - In this line up Digne would be the one who I would maybe move on (subject to a replacement being in place). Having to sell good players is a bit of a sad reflection of where we are - but its just the way it is.

I don't think it works like that. His fee will be lower due to the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. If teams see he'd be available for say £20m, then they would possibly take him off our hands per se. If we slapped a £40m tag on him, teams would either persue another target or wait for his price to come down because we're going to have an unhappy player on our hands, who wants to leave (providing he does want to leave).

We also need to generate funds in order to spend money, which naturally would lower the value of most of our players.

12 hours ago, Aidan said:

I don't think it works like that. His fee will be lower due to the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. If teams see he'd be available for say £20m, then they would possibly take him off our hands per se. If we slapped a £40m tag on him, teams would either persue another target or wait for his price to come down because we're going to have an unhappy player on our hands, who wants to leave (providing he does want to leave).

We also need to generate funds in order to spend money, which naturally would lower the value of most of our players.

but I don't think it works like you say if you have two or three teams that might be interested in player. It might work like that if you only have one team interested or if a player has his heart set on a particular club. No point in selling him cheap.

Benitez has simply made a strong stand with Digne -  nobody in the squad is undroppable. A bit of strong leadership, how refreshing. Benitex is the gaffer and he is behaving like one. Digne may as well get on board with that and just sort his defending out in the first instance.  

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

but I don't think it works like you say if you have two or three teams that might be interested in player. It might work like that if you only have one team interested or if a player has his heart set on a particular club. No point in selling him cheap.

Benitez has simply made a strong stand with Digne -  nobody in the squad is undroppable. A bit of strong leadership, how refreshing. Benitex is the gaffer and he is behaving like one. Digne may as well get on board with that and just sort his defending out in the first instance.  

If we'd have lost that game and Godfrey hadn't played well it would have been a different story and people's opinion of Rafa would have soured even more - it was a bold move and it did pay off. He not only dropped him he completely omitted him from the squad and embarrassed him. And you can almost guarantee if Digne feels the way he does about Rafa a lot of other players feel the same way.

I understand Digne's primary job should be defending, but let's face it that's not the reason he was brought to the club.

If Digne does leave, it won't be for a monumental fee.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

If we'd have lost that game and Godfrey hadn't played well it would have been a different story and people's opinion of Rafa would have soured even more - it was a bold move and it did pay off. He not only dropped him he completely omitted him from the squad and embarrassed him. And you can almost guarantee if Digne feels the way he does about Rafa a lot of other players feel the same way.

I understand Digne's primary job should be defending, but let's face it that's not the reason he was brought to the club.

If Digne does leave, it won't be for a monumental fee.

Benitez has the team set up slighlty different, the players he brought in are essentially wingers who can deliver a ball, he is also moving Docoure up the feild, so he is not covering the backs so much. Given the numbers of goals and assists Gray, Townsend and Doucoure have contributed so far, then if Digne has to sacrifice being our main person for delivering a cross and concentrate a little more on not being caught out of position when defending, then so be it.

Rafa will just bring his own player in place of those who don't want to get on board.

I prefer a strong manager, whoever he is - as no player is bigger than the club. There has been to many players at this club taking liberties, and it time it was stopped.

One of the main reasons Ferguson did so well at United was he took fuck all shit of ANY player .

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I love digne but I can see him or Mina being sold in January if we need to raise money. He’s 28/29 inter, juve reportedly interested. I think we should be looking for £25 million for him. 

For one of the best full backs, attacking wise at least, in the game? We shouldn't be looking to sell at all, but if we have to then he should be double that. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

For one of the best full backs, attacking wise at least, in the game? We shouldn't be looking to sell at all, but if we have to then he should be double that. 

I can’t see many clubs having that same opinion. I like him a lot and wouldn’t sell him but I can see it happening. When do we ever sell for top dollar. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

With Mina injured Godfrey has to come back into the middle, I can see Digne playing.

I don’t see it that way the only change I see is Holgate for Mina, from reading the interview with Benitez it would appear Digne over stepped the mark, he may of gotten away with that under Silva and Ancelotti but Benitez not a chance as he said it’s about the team not the individual. But Digne did back pedal in an earlier statement and Benitez may accept that as he’s learned a lesson. 

4 hours ago, Bill said:

With Mina injured Godfrey has to come back into the middle, I can see Digne playing.

Rafa could completely mix it up with 3-5-2 ( sorry @Romey 1878 )

Pickford 

Holgate     Keane   Godfrey 

Coleman           Allan            Digne 

Gomes  Doucoure

Richarlison               Gray 

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Rafa could completely mix it up with 3-5-2 ( sorry @Romey 1878 )

Pickford 

Holgate     Keane   Godfrey 

Coleman           Allan            Digne 

Gomes  Doucoure

Richarlison               Gray 

That looks a decent side tbh but I'm never sure about Holgate.

If it was just Digne who had been dropped because of playing disagreements I really wouldn’t give a flying fuck, he should have been dropped because he’s played poorly for far too long, and let’s be honest Godfrey is a far better replacement. But for Allan to be dropped for a disagreement I find concerning he’s been one of our top 5 players and Delph doesn’t offer the team what Allan doe’s, Benitez needs to sort this one out sooner rather than later we missed him today. We also now have the threat of Richarlison calling him out, or Benitez punishing him because of descent when coming off, could Benitez be cutting his own throat or is it a case of he has money and players already lined up in the January window, if so he needs to be careful because he might not make the window. 

I accept Digne has been poor of late but when ‘on form’ he’s arguably our best player… this makes it pretty ridiculous why we’re not playing to his strengths. Personally, I think our set up is more focused on Coleman getting the ‘attacking freedom’ - Digne is much better at this (it helps that Digne can actually cross!) And why are Gray/Townsend on set-pieces?! Digne should be on these too!!!

I’m just very confused and very pissed off!

I think the biggest issue for Digne this season has been not having DCL in the box to aim for.  His best attribute is his crossing and DCL is the one player who would make sure he got himself into a good space in the box whenever there was a crossing opportunity.   

We saw at the start of the season how dangerous we looked feeding him in the box and no one has replaced him.

5 hours ago, FairWooney said:

I think the biggest issue for Digne this season has been not having DCL in the box to aim for.  His best attribute is his crossing and DCL is the one player who would make sure he got himself into a good space in the box whenever there was a crossing opportunity.   

We saw at the start of the season how dangerous we looked feeding him in the box and no one has replaced him.

I agree with this. Digne is someone like DCL’s dream. He isn’t the best defender but most fullbacks aren’t anymore. He’s a modern fullback who wants to put the ball in the box, and DCL is at his best in the box.

Unfortunately, he can’t the have offensive freedom he thrives on with the current state of the squad and Manager. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think it is just a lack of intent to play football and get forward. 

The worst thing for a full back is being asked to get forward and then seeing your team lose the ball and having to go back the other way. Digne cant trust that we can keep the ball so he is stuck in a half way house. Coleman has had exactly the same problem on the other side. It is no coincidence they are both struggling and Coleman has been far worse IMO. 

Couldn’t agree more. I think Digne has looked poor but he almost looks like he was too scared to attack as he’ll get caught out at the back, but too scared to stay back as he needs to help us get forward. As you said, ending up in a bit of a half way house. 
With Coleman it’s like his pride gets in the way and he still tries to do everything, but he just hasn’t got it in him anymore. He ends up getting rinsed at the back and not contributing enough going forward, but keeps on trying. 

23 hours ago, StevO said:

Couldn’t agree more. I think Digne has looked poor but he almost looks like he was too scared to attack as he’ll get caught out at the back, but too scared to stay back as he needs to help us get forward. As you said, ending up in a bit of a half way house. 
With Coleman it’s like his pride gets in the way and he still tries to do everything, but he just hasn’t got it in him anymore. He ends up getting rinsed at the back and not contributing enough going forward, but keeps on trying. 

Yeh he still tries to play like he did 10 years ago. Can never fault his attitude, just pretty much everything else!