IGNORED

Lucas Digne

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Moise Kean. They might do similar. 

True but it would be really stupid. Yes getting his wages off the books will help but we need the transfer fee as well.

I also think it would be a risk from an asset value point of view. Digne could go to Chelsea and boss it and the fee could go up. He could also barely play and then he gets 6 months older, his value starts creeping down and we are stuck running down his contract again. 

40 minutes ago, Bailey said:

True but it would be really stupid. Yes getting his wages off the books will help but we need the transfer fee as well.

I also think it would be a risk from an asset value point of view. Digne could go to Chelsea and boss it and the fee could go up. He could also barely play and then he gets 6 months older, his value starts creeping down and we are stuck running down his contract again. 

If they made the same kind of deal as with Kean then they would have a pre agreed fee. We needed the transfer fee when we sold him too. So we have previous for stupid decisions. Unless they can account for it some way that we don’t know about. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

These rumours about him going to Chelsea on loan have got to be BS. There should be no way he that he goes anywhere just on loan. 

He will only go on loan if there’s an obligation to buy - that way, it potentially gives us guaranteed money in the summer window - may be seen as more useful then - we may need extra funds now - I don’t know but HOPE the people running the club do.

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Obligations to buy only come into force if certain criteria is met. 

I only go to the toilet if I need a piss or a shit. 🤷🏼‍♀️
We aren’t going to put criteria in there that won’t be very realistic, but none of us will be privy to the obligations. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

I only go to the toilet if I need a piss or a shit. 🤷🏼‍♀️
We aren’t going to put criteria in there that won’t be very realistic, but none of us will be privy to the obligations. 

No we want Chelsea will they will put targets he has to reach before any obligation to buy at the end of the season is completed. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

If they made the same kind of deal as with Kean then they would have a pre agreed fee. We needed the transfer fee when we sold him too. So we have previous for stupid decisions. Unless they can account for it some way that we don’t know about. 

6 hours ago, c1982 said:

He will only go on loan if there’s an obligation to buy - that way, it potentially gives us guaranteed money in the summer window - may be seen as more useful then - we may need extra funds now - I don’t know but HOPE the people running the club do.

As Palfy says a pre-arranged fee doesnt mean it will happen.

Most of the obligations to buy you see between clubs for big name players are when teams need to fudge the FFP rules. I don't see that being as much of an issue for Chelsea as it was for Juve (with Kean).

A lot of the traditional deals involve a number of appearances or success on the pitch. We wont be able to count it on the books until it happens so I am not sure it will help us immediately with FFP.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Most of the obligations to buy you see between clubs for big name players are when teams need to fudge the FFP rules. I don't see that being as much of an issue for Chelsea as it was for Juve (with Kean).

A lot of the traditional deals involve a number of appearances or success on the pitch. We wont be able to count it on the books until it happens so I am not sure it will help us immediately with FFP.

If we are desperate for the money due to FFP then he will only be sold in a way that suits our needs. Or we have another player on the way out the door to cover those costs, and that would be even more worrying. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

As StevO says, we can negotiate an obligation that suits us, should we go down that route.

Let’s get this right - Digne is a very saleable asset - he will improve most teams. We do ‘need’ to sell but there will be no shortage of interest from top, top teams for one of the best left backs in world football. January isn’t always the best window to deal in but let’s hope there’s a bit of competence somewhere in our ‘ins and outs’ department where they can structure a deal that allows us to address problems (not all but at least rb/lb and another midfielder) immediately while allowing us to be in a position where we can buy before having to sell in the summer.

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

As StevO says, we can negotiate an obligation that suits us, should we go down that route.

Let’s get this right - Digne is a very saleable asset - he will improve most teams. We do ‘need’ to sell but there will be no shortage of interest from top, top teams for one of the best left backs in world football. January isn’t always the best window to deal in but let’s hope there’s a bit of competence somewhere in our ‘ins and outs’ department where they can structure a deal that allows us to address problems (not all but at least rb/lb and another midfielder) immediately while allowing us to be in a position where we can buy before having to sell in the summer.

There might be interest but they will know that Digne is keen to get out for his own interests and that Rafa will be looking to get him out of the group. 

He is on big wages which will rule out quite a few of the European clubs (below the very elite). There will only be a small pool of teams that he can go to and I think they will hold more cards than you think. None of them need a left back but if they can pick one up on the cheap they will do. 

Our best chance of getting good money is by getting a team like Newcastle who are desperate to throw money at things like we have done in the past. 

I guess we will see what happens soon! 

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Has the handed in a transfer request, or is it the cub trying to force him out?

If you read articles from journalists who are closer to what’s happening Digne told his agent get me away from here now, players rarely put in transfer requests anymore because the money they would lose is huge. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

I get that’s what they said…. But then Digne put on his own social media that he is working hard to get into the team and made a point of praising his team mates for the draw against Chelsea…. Saying come on you blues.

Just didn’t look like he is desperate to get away that’s all. 

There’s always a chance of a reconciliation between the two of them real men should always try and bury the hatchet so maybe they’ve had a making up. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Coleman played left back while Digne sits on the bench. I’d much rather the manager uses the players at his disposal and puts what’s best for the team before his own personal grudges. 

Digne got a cracking reception when he warmed up during the game for the first time, fans were on their feet applauding him (I was one of them).

Meanwhile, the manager had his own fans singing "you're just a fat Spanish waiter" at him, and then had a large section of the fans booing him subbing Rondon on (both while he was waiting to come on and then when he actually ran on to the pitch).

I didn't get involved in the song against the manager or the booing of Rondon (he didn't bring himself to the club or sub himself on), but I did think it was very telling.

10 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Meanwhile, the manager had his own fans signing "you're just a fat Spanish waiter" at him..

I've actually never really understood that "insult," I have nothing against waiters, fat people or Spaniards at all (why would I?); if you want to express your annoyance with him stick to reality, there's plenty of scope there.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I've actually never really understood that "insult," I have nothing against waiters, fat people or Spaniards at all (why would I?); if you want to express your annoyance with him stick to reality, there's plenty of scope there.

I’d like the crowd to chant “you don’t know the city quite as well as you make out in interviews, you don’t know the city quite as well as you make out in interviews, and you really live on the Wirral anyway. It might be very nice in Caldy, but it’s not really Liverpool as portrayed in the media by your journalist mates”

Catchy, no?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’d like the crowd to chant “you don’t know the city quite as well as you make out in interviews, you don’t know the city quite as well as you make out in interviews, and you really live on the Wirral anyway. It might be very nice in Caldy, but it’s not really Liverpool as portrayed in the media by your journalist mates”

Catchy, no?

I need the bass line mate, not feeling the vibe.

Either drop him from the team or play him god knows why he would just put him on the bench. I'd much rather have seen Godfrey play LB today but that's a whole different topic.

If he's causing turbulence behind the scenes I have no issue with Rafa dropping him and making an example, even if we don't have a replacement for him to play. I feel we've needed managers to do that for a long time and Rafas on the receiving end because of the form we are in.

15 hours ago, StevO said:

Coleman played left back while Digne sits on the bench. I’d much rather the manager uses the players at his disposal and puts what’s best for the team before his own personal grudges. 

Is it a personal grudge though, or is it as he keeps repeating he only wants people who want to play for the team. I have a lot of admiration for him and people in general, that he has a code of conduct that he works too, he has set his stall out no doubt when he was interviewed he would have said this is who I am and these are my thoughts and beliefs, and I believe he would have had team meetings expressing the same with the players. The easiest thing for him to do when one of his better players over steps a line that he has marked out is to play it down and carry on picking that player, that would show a weakness to everyone involved in the club that he hasn’t got the courage to follow his beliefs. Whether he’s right or wrong, whether the players he brings in improve the team, whether other players cross that line only time will tell, but I genuinely believe this isn’t a personal vendetta against Digne this would be the same for any player who did the same imo. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Is it a personal grudge though, or is it as he keeps repeating he only wants people who want to play for the team. I have a lot of admiration for him and people in general, that he has a code of conduct that he works too, he has set his stall out no doubt when he was interviewed he would have said this is who I am and these are my thoughts and beliefs, and I believe he would have had team meetings expressing the same with the players. The easiest thing for him to do when one of his better players over steps a line that he has marked out is to play it down and carry on picking that player, that would show a weakness to everyone involved in the club that he hasn’t got the courage to follow his beliefs. Whether he’s right or wrong, whether the players he brings in improve the team, whether other players cross that line only time will tell, but I genuinely believe this isn’t a personal vendetta against Digne this would be the same for any player who did the same imo. 

I think you’re in the minority with that opinion, but it’s yours and you’re entitled to it. Whatever his reasons behind it, it’s not exactly helping the results improve and the biggest weakness he is showing is in his ability to win football matches. 

6 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think you’re in the minority with that opinion, but it’s yours and you’re entitled to it. Whatever his reasons behind it, it’s not exactly helping the results improve and the biggest weakness he is showing is in his ability to win football matches. 

Like I said Steve whether or not his methods are right or wrong only time will tell, but that’s his style I think I’m right in saying always has been so for me not a personality fallout but a team orders or direction issue if you like. I’m sure there will be others who say I can’t commit to the way you want me to play in the future if he has a future here. But for me I want to see what he can achieve with the players he brings in who are committed to the team under his management. To keep letting managers buy players and not stand by them is ridiculous and a sure recipe for relegation, he needs a minimum 2 years to get a team close to what he’s looking for without spending hundreds of millions. For me he’s going in the right direction, by buying young players for small fees who he can coach and mould to play his way but it takes more time and money than 30mil he’s spent if we get Patterson and half a season. Plus Moshiri must be wishing he hired him a few years ago and saved himself 300-400mil. 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Like I said Steve whether or not his methods are right or wrong only time will tell, but that’s his style I think I’m right in saying always has been so for me not a personality fallout but a team orders or direction issue if you like. I’m sure there will be others who say I can’t commit to the way you want me to play in the future if he has a future here. But for me I want to see what he can achieve with the players he brings in who are committed to the team under his management. To keep letting managers buy players and not stand by them is ridiculous and a sure recipe for relegation, he needs a minimum 2 years to get a team close to what he’s looking for without spending hundreds of millions. For me he’s going in the right direction, by buying young players for small fees who he can coach and mould to play his way but it takes more time and money than 30mil he’s spent if we get Patterson and half a season. Plus Moshiri must be wishing he hired him a few years ago and saved himself 300-400mil. 

One question then, what positives has he brought to what we see on the pitch? That’s where it matters but I’m not seeing any. I’m seeing no decent football and I’m seeing us get beaten every week. Great we’ve got some discipline in the squad, but it’s not helping us so far. 

Actually two questions, but I’ve asked this one before, how bad do results have to be before he should go? I get the idea of giving him a couple of years, I’m bored of having a new manager every year too, but these results are a shambles. One win in 12, so how bad can it get before he’s out of time? Do we let him take us down if it gets to that point?