IGNORED

Lucas Digne

Hopefully the Newcastle interest helps increase his price, surely he wants Champions League not Championship and so if Chelsea are interested then he would much rather go there.

That is if he would be first choice.

As Chilwell was doing well until his injury he may have concerns about being a short term replacement.

29 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Hopefully the Newcastle interest helps increase his price, surely he wants Champions League not Championship and so if Chelsea are interested then he would much rather go there.

That is if he would be first choice.

As Chilwell was doing well until his injury he may have concerns about being a short term replacement.

I would prefer to see him go to Chelsea - but only as long as we are not short changed in any deal. We shouldn't be push around and dance to Chelsea and Digne's tune if we are offered a notably better deal elsewhere.

9 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I am guessing we will find out fairly soon. I agree he will be desperate to showcase his talents before the WC, so one place he will not want to be for the rest of this season is on our bench. 

Everton are going to want the best financial deal, and that might only be on offer from Newcastle if others are only after loans. 

Its going to be a bit cat and mouse - who offers what, what are we willing to take, where Digne wants to or is willing to go.

If Newcastle are the only team that offer us a deal we are happy with does Digne dig his heels in and risk not getting a move and being on the bench for the rest of the season. Can we afford to wait until summer to sell him? So many ifs and buts with this one. 

If we have a £30m newcastle deal on the table, we are not going to agree to a loan with no obligation to buy. 

I am not confident he will go to Newcastle, but I am not going to right ot off. 

There's a reason he has reportedly said he won't be going to Newcastle and that'll be because he knows there's a deal to be had elsewhere. He'll know exactly what Chelsea or whoever else are going to offer right now because players are tapped up and told these things all the time.

He can definitely afford to dig his heels in to get the move he wants because we're just as desperate to get him out of the door seeing as we've spent his fee already.

We have a small amount of power in this situation but I think Digne has a lot more and he'll get the move he wants.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

There's a reason he has reportedly said he won't be going to Newcastle and that'll be because he knows there's a deal to be had elsewhere. He'll know exactly what Chelsea or whoever else are going to offer right now because players are tapped up and told these things all the time.

He can definitely afford to dig his heels in to get the move he wants because we're just as desperate to get him out of the door seeing as we've spent his fee already.

We have a small amount of power in this situation but I think Digne has a lot more and he'll get the move he wants.

I think a few deals didn't happen at the very end of last summer as we couldn't shake James wages at the last minute, I am not 100% convinced we have to sell in January to cover money already spent this month, additional deals may however hinge on a Digne sale though. There are also shit loads of the wage bill come June 22.

We are not totally powerless, he has a long contract with us and he needs to play the next few months to be getting in to WC team. I just think we need to at least have a 'set of balls' in this sale, and not simply roll over and sell him on the cheap to Chelsea because that's what suits the player. 

Chelsea match the best offer we have  then fair enough or Digne puts in a formal transfer request to soften any financial blow to Everton and make up any short fall in Chelsea fee to us again fair enough.

We have been fucked over by players who nobody wants hanging around on long contract, lets not also simply get fucked over by valuable players on long contract. I am simply tired of watching money trickling out of this club at every turn.

You are probably right, he will get what he wants and we will get short changed - but I don't have to like it. That's one thing I admire about Daniel Levy - he has king kong balls when it comes to transfers. Sometimes we need to be a bit more Levy!!

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Exactly. 

If Digne doesnt want to go to Newcastle then them being involved wont impact upon his price at all.

The club will have a price and if any of the clubs meet that price he will be sold ASAP. If they don't meet that price, we will probably be scrambling around on deadline day trying to offload him to the highest bidder because we are banking on the cash! 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If It had anything to do with me, I would say to him and his agent he can go to what ever club he wants as long as that club matches the highest offer on the table. 

And then what happens when they dont match the highest offer and we have already stumped up the cash on two or three other players by then? 

51 minutes ago, Palfy said:

If It had anything to do with me, I would say to him and his agent he can go to what ever club he wants as long as that club matches the highest offer on the table. 

What if there aren’t other offers?

If he doesn’t want to go to Newcastle then his agent will have told them and they won’t bother making an offer. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We haven’t been fucked over by a single player. We’ve had players want the contracts the club have agreed to to be honoured, as they are fully entitled to. We have been fucked over by managers/DOFs/chairman/CEOs/owners who have offered these contracts. 

that's actually kind of what I mean -  we definitely need to be 'tougher' in transfer markets both as buyers and sellers.  

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

And then what happens when they dont match the highest offer and we have already stumped up the cash on two or three other players by then? 

He has a choice go to the club who offered the most or don’t play and miss his chance to play in the World Cup, he’s not in the driving seat here mate the club hold the cards. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

What if there aren’t other offers?

If he doesn’t want to go to Newcastle then his agent will have told them and they won’t bother making an offer. 

Then as I said to Bailey. I think Newcastle have made an offer maybe just media talk but maybe true. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

He has a choice go to the club who offered the most or don’t play and miss his chance to play in the World Cup, he’s not in the driving seat here mate the club hold the cards. 

Digne has as much chance of playing for France in the World Cup by being in our squad as he does by playing regularly for Newcastle IMO. At the very least, I think Digne's camp will look at it that way.

If he doesnt get sold, do you realistically think that Rafa wont use him at all or that he will want to keep him in the squad for all that time? 

Its a game of poker and I suspect we will be the ones that blink first. 

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Digne has as much chance of playing for France in the World Cup by being in our squad as he does by playing regularly for Newcastle IMO. At the very least, I think Digne's camp will look at it that way.

If he doesnt get sold, do you realistically think that Rafa wont use him at all or that he will want to keep him in the squad for all that time? 

If he doesn’t play competitive football between now and the World Cup he doesn’t play in the World Cup, his match fitness touch positioning and confidence will be shot and no manager would gamble that he would come good in a few games. Whether or not Benitez uses him if he’s not sold depends on whether Digne is committed to how he’s asked to play, plus Mykolenko may turn out to be a better LB, and if that should be the case I suspect we won’t even see him on the bench that often, or Benitez gets sacked and who ever takes over puts him back in the team. But what ever happens it has to be the best deal for Everton and not a player trying to dictate where he’s prepared to go, if Newcastle offer £30m and Chelsea only offer £20m then the club should dismiss Chelsea’s offer and except Newcastle’s offer, then Chelsea have an opportunity to up there offer, and if they don’t Digne has 3.5 weeks to make one of the most crucial decisions in his career which is to sign for Newcastle on big money and get guaranteed football which should cement his place in the World Cup or stay here and take his chances.  As harsh as that may sound the ball is in his  court and the cards are in our hands. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

It is very much a game of poker.  We do hold a decent hand (it might not be the best). You dont always need the very best hand, you just need to play it the best, and bluffing is a massive part of the game. 

This is exately what I mean about having some balls to play the game and not just folding. 

You suspecting we will be the first to blink also highlights we are a bit weak when it comes to this sort of deal. 

We may not know for awhile(or ever), but given Rafa’s history I feel I know who lost their cool first. 

Just a hunch with no evidence to back it up. I find it hard to believe that after so much time Digne is suddenly a bad egg. I don’t blame him for wanting to leave either. The club is in shambles at the moment. No,  he’s not better than the club, be he is a lot better than the most of the dross that steps on the field for us now. 

One other point about motivation. Remember when Martinez adjusted strategy and Lukaku was so delighted after scoring that he rushed over to hug his rather embarrassed manager? That's an excellent example of leveraging available talent to create a winning strategy - and see how motivating it was for the player! Why can't we have a manager today who knows how to motivate like that?

Maybe I can answer the answer put by Benitez earlier today, as quoted at the BBC site:

Benitez said Digne's desire to leave was "very clear", adding: "I want to ask a question to every fan or former player. What would you say to a player who doesn't want to be there?

Answer: "What have I done wrong to cause such a situation?"

history is on the side of Rafa here..... im sorry but there is a huge issue with the collective attitude of players - digne just smacks of comfort.  His defensive work is poor, very poor, allows cross after cross into the box.  I just think we need an overhaul at the club

Rafa aint pulling any trees up but I think he is looking to address the mediocre attitude in the club.

Dunc mentioned that an insider said digne has an attitude.

3 hours ago, MC11 said:

Benitez has confirmed Digne has asked to leave the club. 

I think the main question here is:

Was the transfer request before he was dropped from the squad and we signed a new LB or was this after the way he’s been treated? I think this is the answer we all need. 

I think the fact Rafa has managed to mention that he only wants players who want to be here in every single interview since they fell out is a pretty good clue

Rafa is getting pelters from left, right and center about 'falling out' with Digne, I myself have been a bit tired of every man and his dog in the 'media' sticking the boot in, people who have no real insite and who don't not really know what is going on. Sound like Rafa is getting pissed off with people uninformed opions as well and is trying to put the record straight with what is going on at the club.

Good for him for ruffling the feathers of players who are not performing and not willing to put then work in to be playing at their best level. Digne is massive talent, but has not been showing it for 12 months now. Should he be immune from critisisum by the manager becasue he used to be a very good performer. 

We can't have it both ways, complaining about players performance and applications in games and then have a go at the manager when he pulls them up about their performances.