IGNORED

Lucas Digne

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I was bored.

2018/19: 136 MOTM votes

2019/20: 67 MOTM votes

2020/21: 14 MOTM votes

2021/22: 0 MOTM votes

Even if you don't take this season into account, that's a pretty stark drop-off season by season.

That really does highlight the diminishing impact he has been having on games. By the end of last season there where some shocking performances from the who team and it would not have taken that much to be a stand out performer. 

I personal only think its been the last 12 months when he has not been anything more than average (first half of 20/21 season DCL, James and Allan where simply hovering up the MOTM votes). It is the little things like the fall in the quality of his free kick and corner that have disappointed me. This sort of thing does doesn't simply come down to mis-management. You consistently want great performances from your best players, we have not been getting them for a while now.

I did notice a slight drop off in Digne performance when Baines retired and then again mid season last year after a injury and maybe more telling, after signing a bumper new deal. Possibly subconsciously just going in to cruise control and seeing out the best part of his career at a mid table club with no pressure on his starting position?

I imagine a new club might just get the Digne of 18/19, at least for a while. I am not convinced if he stayed with us (even if we had a new manager came in) we would ever see the Digne of 2018 to 2020 again. 

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

When a supposed better player can’t get man of the match in one of the poorest performing squads we have had….. you need to question, is he part of the problem?

I can answer this one quite easily. No, no he is not. 
Of the many problems we’ve had over the last few years he really isn’t one. 

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Apologies in advance to Mike, but using TTs MOTM votes to backup an argument of a player is truly scraping the barrel 

Is it though? We're a pretty discerning group. Obviously it's not the most scientific or qualified way to maybe judge a player's performance over the years, but you can't look at those declining numbers and not gain some sort of insight into his career trajectory at Everton.

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Is it though? We're a pretty discerning group. Obviously it's not the most scientific or qualified way to maybe judge a player's performance over the years, but you can't look at those declining numbers and not gain some sort of insight into his career trajectory at Everton.

So long as its being taken with a tankerload of salt, then fine. It's pure opinion, inconsistent in activity and we often have wildly different opinions especially when some have nailed their flag to the mast (not aimed at anyone in particular). It shows nothing about a player declining either, more down to other players doing better or, as case most likely is in the last 12 months, no one is worth voting for...

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

So long as its being taken with a tankerload of salt, then fine. It's pure opinion, inconsistent in activity and we often have wildly different opinions especially when some have nailed their flag to the mast (not aimed at anyone in particular). It shows nothing about a player declining either, more down to other players doing better or, as case most likely is in the last 12 months, no one is worth voting for...

I expect Digne to prove himself to be as good as any left back in the prem while at Villa. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Apologies in advance to Mike, but using TTs MOTM votes to backup an argument of a player is truly scraping the barrel 

Not really, as we as fans are constantly commenting on player performance and MOM is tangible evidence of opinion after a game.

I think the man of the match thread can hide some better performances and hide some poor performances.

someone like Digne should be getting far more motm votes than he has.

Not a patch on baines but you would think he was based on the reaction to him going. Was very good for 2 years. Been distinctly average at best and that’s including his occasional attacking excellence. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I think the man of the match thread can hide some better performances and hide some poor performances.

someone like Digne should be getting far more motm votes than he has.

Not a patch on baines but you would think he was based on the reaction to him going. Was very good for 2 years. Been distinctly average at best and that’s including his occasional attacking excellence. 

The whole team has been average to poor for 2 years

24 minutes ago, patto said:

The whole team has been average to poor for 2 years

The thing is Digne, when he players well,  is not a 'average to poor' player he is a good player. So in a way why should we be accepting of average performances.

One of the difference between a good and a great player is that a great players roll his sleeve up and leads by example. As well as being a good footballer, they will bust a gut week in week out. I do think Digne has been in this comfort zone for a while.

He might shine at Villa and be back to his best, but I don't think that would last much beyond this summer once the World Cup is out of the way, especially if Villa stay as a team just outside European places. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

And maybe 8 or 9 players can play well and only one gets a vote. 

47 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Reminds me a bit of Townsend. By and large, doesn't add much, but capable of the brilliant every now and again

No, Townsend is at least always fully committed while being average at best. El Ghazi is mostly shite and doesn’t put effort in.

Honestly, we’ll be getting bent over and fucked dry if we take him as part payment. 

El Ghazi??? WTF is Benitez doing??? Where are we going signing players like this?!! He is surely doing this for a laugh. I can’t even describe how saddened I am by the current ambition of this manager. He has got to be here on the wind up. Please get rid of this conman 

1 minute ago, MC11 said:

El Ghazi??? WTF is Benitez doing??? Where are we going signing players like this?!! He is surely doing this for a laugh. I can’t even describe how saddened I am by the current ambition of this manager. He has got to be here on the wind up. Please get rid of this conman 

Don't think it said anywhere that Benitez was pushing for El Ghazi...? Sounds like it's Villa who are pushing to include him in the transfer fee.

On 10/01/2022 at 13:55, RuffRob said:

Very disappointing to see you negatively over analysing a 22 year old Mykolenko on his debut. You have even caveated it yourself as it having little justification. 

At the moment the most buoyant market is for top young talent, as opposed to players going in to their last major contract. So a case of 'apples and pairs' with regard to where a player is in his career. You know potential costs a fair few quid these days. I would also say we maybe paid a couple of million to much for each signing, but for a club like us I am afraid that's what we have to do to get our foot in the door.

working up and down the line isn't just about pace its about being able to maintain good energy game after game. It not apples and pear- all players get older and have to be more efficient with their energy and how they use it in games. Digne is no more immune from ageing than Coleman. Ironically, Digne's form has been poor since his return from an ankle injury, although did not appear to be a massive injury it would appear its effected him (because something has). The performances of the last 12months have not been anywhere near his 'prime' .  Once past a certain age all players sell on values go down as they get older especially if they are on big wages. At 28 years old I don't believe Digne's value will ever get more that it is worth at the moment, and it will be what the highest bidder will part with.

mismanagement down to Ancelotti, Benitez or both? Ancelotti was getting a decent tune out of him before January last season, then his performance dropped after an injury and signing a lucrative contract. Mis management or injury or just complacency or staleness?

Since then he has been consistently average (compared to what we have seen from him) for half a season under Ancelotti and this very same form has continued in to half a season under Benitez. It this case its far too convenient to blame his 'form' on Benitez mis-management, as its the exact same form he had for the half season before Benitez arrived.

My single disappointment with Digne is that instead of knuckling down and 100% getting on board with a new manager (like many of the squad have done), he has chosen after only a dozen or so games to rock the boat at the time when the club really needed galvanising. It is immaterial if a player agrees or disagrees with a new managers tactics when he first comes in. Players MUST get behind a new regime.  

I am in no way saying Digne is a now all of a sudden a shit player or will never get back to the form his was in during his first two seasons, what I am saying there is a 'risk' that we may have actually seen the best of him and he may not recover that early form he showed us.

We should obviously be trying to squeeze every last penny out of any purchaser, I don't think our lot will get £30M out of anybody. Would love to be wrong. 

I have already responded to most of these over the threads so I will keep it short and sweet.

1. Sorry to disappoint you. I will continue to analyse players on a game by game basis and reflect on them over a longer period of time too. 

2. I don't disagree with that in general but what matters is performance. £10 mil or £100 mil we need players to perform.

3. I accept the point but I think it is player-by-player. Coleman relied on his stamina and pace. Digne doesn't. 

4. Yes Ancellotti and Benitez. He was playing well early last season under the former when we used to play with some possession and attack teams.

5. I have already pointed towards Ancellotti previously. I have never just blamed Rafa.

6. We don't know how he ended in this situation, but players making their feelings heard is a good thing. That is exactly what this dressing room needs.

7. I don't agree.

Maybe that wasnt as short as I hoped! 🤣

23 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Anyone recall baines first games for us????  Was benched and lescott played left back. 

Baines was a proven Premier League player and he was injured at the start of his Everton career. 

On 10/01/2022 at 16:51, Wiggytop said:

Digne took a while to settle in when he arrived, I think your being overly harsh on the new lad.

I don't think he did. 

I am just looking at the lad to see what he did well and what he didn't do as well. I am not expecting him to set the world on fire on day one, just to do what he has been brought in to do. He didn't do that against Hull in that one game, but that doesn't mean he wont set the league alight in time.

I might be in a minority that can see a half decent player in El-Ghazi? 

I wouldnt say that I have watched him regularly but he is a good size, decent pace, very direct and I think he is technically OK. I don't really know about his attitude or workrate. I would describe him as a poor mans Richarlison.