IGNORED

Lucas Digne

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The link for Palfy. 

He isn't going to Newcastle. Napoli can't afford him.

It's therefore either West Ham or Chelsea and I'd still back Chelsea.

I hope he goes to Chelsea I don’t want him improving teams that we will be realistically trying to finish in front of. 

32 minutes ago, MC11 said:

We aren’t half losing a special special player. I can’t help but think what would have been under another manager. Mykolenko has got some massive boots to fill. 

We have seen what would have been under previouse managers. - not a massive amount to shout about. 

As unplatable as it is, from a football business point a view its actually smart business to move on a player on high wages and who turns 29 next summer for a fee that is hopefully around the £25M mark. It these days of FFP this sort of business is a must. We haven't got the turnover yet to not have to do this. Even the bigger clubs cash in on saleable assets. 

In an ideal world there is period of changing of the guard, but this is not always possible. 

I like Digne, we signed a player that stepped into the role that Baines mastered and it was seamless. However, he has definitely declined after a stellar first season - various reasons why, we all know there’s a star player in there.

What I don’t quite get and apologies if it’s mentioned is - I assume we are skint still with FFP but if we had the room for the money we have spent now on the 2 young fullbacks ( seeing as we have bought before we have sold ). Chelsea are looking to loan Digne to cover Chilwell, could we potentially loan him for 6 months for a stupid loan fee say 8 million and then sell him for 30 million, he will undoubtedly look a much better player in their team. It’s a risk but it could really pay off.

20 hours ago, MC11 said:

We aren’t half losing a special special player. I can’t help but think what would have been under another manager. Mykolenko has got some massive boots to fill. 

I’m still thinking… how did it come to this?

He may not have been on his best form, but he still looked one of our better players. Disappointed it’s came to this. 

20 hours ago, MC11 said:

Yeah but I think he's had his best days for us. I think he's a fab player but he's lost the boil for us. It can happen, he's human. People need fresh challenges.

He'll probs move and have a good few years. All the best to him - so long as we get a good fee.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I just think he is wasted under this manager with his current tactics.

So what happened last season under Ancelotti who very much played to his strengths ?

People have been slating him for the past 18 months so surely if he has been that bad getting his wages off the books and getting a good fee for a 29 year old is good business ?

43 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

But he hasn't looked like the Digne we know and need for a few years now? Was Rafa putting some sort of hex on him from afar?

We’ve been a very poor team for a long time but Digne keeps producing amongst the best in the league numbers in key areas for his position e.g chances created. He’s class - no question but, with the current manager, in our current state, his age/wage/decreasing value - it makes a lot of sense to sell him. If selling Digne means keeping Richarlison and DCL for a bit longer, then I can cope with that.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

But he hasn't looked like the Digne we know and need for a few years now? Was Rafa putting some sort of hex on him from afar?

20 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

So what happened last season under Ancelotti who very much played to his strengths ?

People have been slating him for the past 18 months so surely if he has been that bad getting his wages off the books and getting a good fee for a 29 year old is good business ?

It was only last year under Ancellotti who played equally shite football. 

If you don't get one of the best attacking full backs past the half way line they are going to look crap. 

When we played attacking football under Ancellotti in those first few games he had 4 assists in 8 games. 

On the whole he has been one of our most consistent players in a shit show of the last 3 seasons. 

11 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I actually wouldn’t mind him at the right price - good age and looks a prospect to me - a lot of McTommonay (spelling?!) about him.

I think both Longstaff’s are crap personally. But Sean is the better of the two.

Sky are now reporting that we’ve bid for Sean Longstaff but Newcastle want to keep him, while Newcastle want Digne but haven’t put a bid in yet. 

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

On the whole he has been one of our most consistent players in a shit show of the last 3 seasons. 

I would say he was for the first 2.5 seasons with us, but he has been disappointng this past 12 months. Unfortunately, in the last 12months he has been just as guilty as any other player in the squad of not performing to his highest levels. He is now one of the BEST paid players at the club, but we have not had the quality to match this top billing.

He has just not been quite the same player since this time last year when he just come back from an injury and signed his new improved deal.

I think its a little too convinient to blame his poor form on Benitez, and he should be looking a little closer to home for me. 

42 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s not going to Newcastle. 

After seeing Trippier going there as their best paid player, it wouldn't suprise me now to see more players going in that direction. It sounds like Digne might now be high on their list and they are not going to be overly be arsed about paying top doller in fees or wages. 

Would not be bothered if Longstaff came, will be a decent enough squad player to allow us to shed the likes of Delph from the squad. 

20 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Longstaff is not the type of player we need. My god what the hell have we  become?

Why?

There is not a great amount of depth in our midfeild beyond an ageing Allan and Doucoure. 

Delph, Gbamin and possibly Davies need moving on. We will need some number. 

He has bags of energy, young and actually has quite a lot of good traits and could yet develop in to a very capable player. 

There are the type of players we are going to need to swap out with our poor squad players. 

Not going to be silly money. 

46 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

After seeing Trippier going there as their best paid player, it wouldn't suprise me now to see more players going in that direction. It sounds like Digne might now be high on their list and they are not going to be overly be arsed about paying top doller in fees or wages. 

Would not be bothered if Longstaff came, will be a decent enough squad player to allow us to shed the likes of Delph from the squad. 

Be that as it may I don’t think Digne is the type of player to move for money alone, and that’s the only reason he’d choose Newcastle. He’ll want to achieve something and not just go for a pay packet. Also, with him wanting to go to the WC with France he won’t want to swap one side fighting relegation for another, he’ll want to go somewhere to showcase his talent. Newcastle ain’t that. 

28 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Be that as it may I don’t think Digne is the type of player to move for money alone, and that’s the only reason he’d choose Newcastle. He’ll want to achieve something and not just go for a pay packet. Also, with him wanting to go to the WC with France he won’t want to swap one side fighting relegation for another, he’ll want to go somewhere to showcase his talent. Newcastle ain’t that. 

I am guessing we will find out fairly soon. I agree he will be desperate to showcase his talents before the WC, so one place he will not want to be for the rest of this season is on our bench. 

Everton are going to want the best financial deal, and that might only be on offer from Newcastle if others are only after loans. 

Its going to be a bit cat and mouse - who offers what, what are we willing to take, where Digne wants to or is willing to go.

If Newcastle are the only team that offer us a deal we are happy with does Digne dig his heels in and risk not getting a move and being on the bench for the rest of the season. Can we afford to wait until summer to sell him? So many ifs and buts with this one. 

If we have a £30m newcastle deal on the table, we are not going to agree to a loan with no obligation to buy. 

I am not confident he will go to Newcastle, but I am not going to right ot off. 

7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Why?

There is not a great amount of depth in our midfeild beyond an ageing Allan and Doucoure. 

Delph, Gbamin and possibly Davies need moving on. We will need some number. 

He has bags of energy, young and actually has quite a lot of good traits and could yet develop in to a very capable player. 

There are the type of players we are going to need to swap out with our poor squad players. 

Not going to be silly money. 

He’s not top 10 level. Undeniable. Certainly not better than Gomes. Slightly better than Davies. The problem here is Benitez will play him every week. It just shouts mediocrity. 

22 minutes ago, MC11 said:

He’s not top 10 level. Undeniable. Certainly not better than Gomes. Slightly better than Davies. The problem here is Benitez will play him every week. It just shouts mediocrity. 

I didn't say he would be useful in replacing Gomez, but Davies and Delph and Gbamin do need replacing. We dont have money to replace all these squad midfeilders with established top 10 player, so we still need to be a little creative. 

He will be affordable and does have the potential to actually have the 'Grey' factor of improving and getting back to his initial promise  under a different environmnet and different managment. I would rather see this sort of purchase than another Delph type purchase. 

To me get the three named shipped out and replaced over January and the summer window. All the better if we get half season overlap. 

41 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I didn't say he would be useful in replacing Gomez, but Davies and Delph and Gbamin do need replacing. We dont have money to replace all these squad midfeilders with established top 10 player, so we still need to be a little creative. 

He will be affordable and does have the potential to actually have the 'Grey' factor of improving and getting back to his initial promise  under a different environmnet and different managment. I would rather see this sort of purchase than another Delph type purchase. 

To me get the three named shipped out and replaced over January and the summer window. All the better if we get half season overlap. 

As highlighted Benitez will play this lad every week. At who’s expense? Likely Gomes. For me this is the start of us having to accept mid to lower table obscurity. 

Buying young players is all well and good buy they need to be at a level where we will likely receive high sell on fees. This again is a Benitez safe signing. Poor very poor.