IGNORED

Lucas Digne

I'm always willing to sell any player if it makes sense for the club and it does seem to make sense in this case. He's 29 so it's probably our last chance to get decent money (needed) in for him and we'll get a high wage earner off the books (even more needed). We look like we're replacing him with a younger player (sensible) who will be on a much lower wage, which will allow us to get away from the financial restrictions we currently face. It's just a case of if the replacement will be any good but fingers crossed we've got this move right.

The only thing I don't like is how it's all ended. It's not the way I'd have liked it to happen. He's been a quality signing for us and is someone that had a good connection with the fans and genuinely seemed to love it here. I don't think there's any one person to blame for this - I suspect manager and player have both played a part in the acrimonious ending - I just wish his time here was ending in a better way.

Regardless, he'll go with my best wishes and I hope he has success at his new club.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm always willing to sell any player if it makes sense for the club and it does seem to make sense in this case. He's 29 so it's probably our last chance to get decent money (needed) in for him and we'll get a high wage earner off the books (even more needed). We look like we're replacing him with a younger player (sensible) who will be on a much lower wage, which will allow us to get away from the financial restrictions we currently face. It's just a case of if the replacement will be any good but fingers crossed we've got this move right.

The only thing I don't like is how it's all ended. It's not the way I'd have liked it to happen. He's been a quality signing for us and is someone that had a good connection with the fans and genuinely seemed to love it here. I don't think there's any one person to blame for this - I suspect manager and player have both played a part in the acrimonious ending - I just wish his time here was ending in a better way.

Regardless, he'll go with my best wishes and I hope he has success at his new club.

For me he’s put himself before the club he’s paid a massive amount of money to play football not to decide the team tactics, what ever he done in the past is history in football the most important thing is the next game. Any player who doesn’t want to play for the team and downs tools isn’t a player any team should entertain, he’s crossed a line that shouldn’t be crossed, the sooner he’s gone the better there can only be one voice when it comes to team tactics, it’s not a debating society. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

For me he’s put himself before the club he’s paid a massive amount of money to play football not to decide the team tactics, what ever he done in the past is history in football the most important thing is the next game. Any player who doesn’t want to play for the team and downs tools isn’t a player any team should entertain, he’s crossed a line that shouldn’t be crossed, the sooner he’s gone the better there can only be one voice when it comes to team tactics, it’s not a debating society. 

I didn't realise you'd been in the the room when whatever has happened has happened.

Clearly something has but no one knows what that is apart from Digne and the manager, and neither one has chosen to disclose what that is.

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

What about if he wants to just play a different way. We dont know he has downed tools or anything like that. He has clearly expressed an opinion that Benitez hasnt liked and neither appear to have backed down and now it looks like that is that.

I also think there should be more than one voice when it comes to tactics. Why have scouts and so many coaches if that is the case. Its a managers job to listen to his players and keep them engaged in their plan. If they cant do that with a player that has previously not been known to have any disciplinary issues then it appears more likely that the manager hasnt been able to do that. 

Just now, Bailey said:

What about if he wants to just play a different way. We dont know he has downed tools or anything like that. He has clearly expressed an opinion that Benitez hasnt liked and neither appear to have backed down and now it looks like that is that.

I also think there should be more than one voice when it comes to tactics. Why have scouts and so many coaches if that is the case. Its a managers job to listen to his players and keep them engaged in their plan. If they cant do that with a player that has previously not been known to have any disciplinary issues then it appears more likely that the manager hasnt been able to do that. 

Should a manager be backing down to a player who doesn’t want to play the tactics the manager has asked him to play. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Should a manager be backing down to a player who doesn’t want to play the tactics the manager has asked him to play. 

It's not about backing down, it's about being willing to take another's viewpoint on board. If we'd been winning games and picking up loads of points then it would be absolutely correct that the manager say the player is putting his own image before the team, but we weren't and were performing very badly.

Players should be allowed to question the manager imo. I don't mean in a shitty way, if Digne has gone in there being an arse hole then that's an entirely different situation.

The point is, though, we don't know but you seem happy to label him as this disruptive force without knowing anything.

Like I've said, I think both of them are to blame for this situation. The manager has form for this sort of thing and Digne is very stats driven, so if his stats have fallen off a cliff due to the tactics then I can well imagine he spoke to the manager.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not about backing down, it's about being willing to take another's viewpoint on board. If we'd been winning games and picking up loads of points then it would be absolutely correct that the manager say the player is putting his own image before the team, but we weren't and were performing very badly.

Players should be allowed to question the manager imo. I don't mean in a shitty way, if Digne has gone in there being an arse hole then that's an entirely different situation.

The point is, though, we don't know but you seem happy to label him as this disruptive force without knowing anything.

Like I've said, I think both of them are to blame for this situation. The manager has form for this sort of thing and Digne is very stats driven, so if his stats have fallen off a cliff due to the tactics then I can well imagine he spoke to the manager.

They work all week on tactics as a team if you watch training sessions the manager is out there hands on with his coaches, you can see him relaying his plan to the players in groups and individually to the players, so all that planning and hard work should be undone because Digne isn’t happy about his role in the team, the manager and the rest of the team don’t need that, when we are in the mess we are in with injuries and such we need to be pulling together as a team not throwing spanner’s in the works. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Where are you getting this from? Down tools? Doesn’t want to play for the team? Absolute bollocks.

Him arguing with the manager about tactics has been reported, he won’t be the first player to disagree with a manager and won’t be the last. No reports at all that he’s downed tools and refused to play. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

They work all week on tactics as a team if you watch training sessions the manager is out there hands on with his coaches, you can see him relaying his plan to the players in groups and individually to the players, so all that planning and hard work should be undone because Digne isn’t happy about his role in the team, the manager and the rest of the team don’t need that, when we are in the mess we are in with injuries and such we need to be pulling together as a team not throwing spanner’s in the works. 

All that hard work is being undone anyway as we’ve been getting spanked all over the place for the last few months 😂

Our players have been criticised for not being strong enough, not standing up for themselves, not having enough fight. One of our senior players isn’t happy with how we’re playing (I’m pretty sure the fans aren’t either) and suddenly he’s throwing a spanner in the works. 

45 minutes ago, StevO said:

All that hard work is being undone anyway as we’ve been getting spanked all over the place for the last few months 😂

Our players have been criticised for not being strong enough, not standing up for themselves, not having enough fight. One of our senior players isn’t happy with how we’re playing (I’m pretty sure the fans aren’t either) and suddenly he’s throwing a spanner in the works. 

Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but one of the worst performers this year is Digne, gets beaten all too easily, hasn't hit the target with a free kick since who knows when, and corners have been poor.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Where are you getting this from? Down tools? Doesn’t want to play for the team? Absolute bollocks.

Him arguing with the manager about tactics has been reported, he won’t be the first player to disagree with a manager and won’t be the last. No reports at all that he’s downed tools and refused to play. 

Steve mate all this ill bollocks when he was told he was playing, he’s thrown his dummy out the pram and his team mates under the bus, do any of you really believe we’ve got to this position because he politely asked Benitez to have a look at his tactics or play him in a more forward position. Lucky for us the manager isn’t Letting his heart rule his head. I’ve read he has already asked to leave this January and advised his agent he wants to go as quickly as possible, which adds up to the manager promptly replacing him in days if not hours. Hats off to Benitez we have a manager who won’t buckle under player power which we’ve needed since Moyes left.  

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Don’t disagree with the sentiment, but one of the worst performers this year is Digne, gets beaten all too easily, hasn't hit the target with a free kick since who knows when, and corners have been poor.

I honestly couldnt pick out even two or three players as our worst performers. Im not even sure there is one player I can comfortably say is playing at an expected level. 

As for Digne being beaten easily, his replacement keeps costing us goals as he did again against Chelsea. Digne wasnt great but he wasnt costing us the amount of goals Godfrey is.