IGNORED

Lucas Digne

Digne form has been pretty erratic since Baines retired. No competition and pretty much a free run at the left back spot. Can be frustrating when you know he has so much more to his game than what he is showing.

We have been needing our big player to step up this past month and he has not really been anything to shout about, maybe Benitez just letting him know he is happy to play people ahead of him

I don’t know what was said between him and Rafa but I can imagine he was firstly told he wasn’t starting, for obvious reasons he’s been our poorest defender for sometime, and believing he’s better than he actually is he’s taken umbrage to the situation and had words with Rafa, who has than given him a strong lesson and completely dropped him which is great we’ve needed that sort of strength in a manager for a long time.  

At 28 he is a player who would bring in a decent fee, but main problem being we don't have somebody waiting in the wings to cover left back. I wouldn't be against him signing for a Man City or Chelsea as they are better than us and Digne wouldn't improve them. Wouldn't like to see him go to a direct competitor. 

I must admit I have been a little disappointed in him both defensively and offensively this past 18 month - maybe because he showed so much in his first couple of year. He has definitely not maintain that standard. 

The irony being Smalls moving on this summer, he could have had a fair few first team chances this year - enough to allow his to try and stake a claim in a season or so's time.

It sounds like we are going to have to raise a bit of cash - We have not got to many saleable assets that would bring in useful fees. Sounds like somebody might have to go. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm with Lucas on this. He's an assist machine and we should play to his strengths. 

Further question, which worries me; if we don't want an attacking, assist-machine fullback, what is the plan?

An assist machine when we have DCL up top.  Assume the plan is to play differently when DCL is out.  Rondon as a straight swap isn't the answer. We all know that.  Digne can swing them in all day but would Rondon capitalize?  So the plan is obviously to have the midfielders contribute more in the goals department.  So that's why we have Gray and Gordon on the left cutting inside.  Those two and the way they play does not suit Digne and there does not seem to be any sort of partnership between them at all.  So basically all Digne does now is defend (how well is up for debate) and get forward and not receive the ball.  I would be a frustrated figure as well.  That is probably why they have had words.  Plus seems like he isn't the guaranteed set piece taker anymore with the arrival of Rafa's boy Townsend.  Still though... given the players we have available... Digne just needs to get on with it.  DCL will return.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Lucas will move on, be unbelievable for another team and we will be kicking ourselves because the fee we'd get for him would be minimal due to the obvious tension between him and the manager along with our current financial state.

There would be no reason to sell him cheap - if clubs think he would be available there would be plenty of takers for this 28 year old proven Premiership LB - I don't think we would have only one suitor who could drive the price down.  Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a on form Digne that a big fee, but form has been missing for a while. 

Given the players we have that would bring in a decent fee - DCL, Richy, Doucoure, Godfrey or Pickford - In this line up Digne would be the one who I would maybe move on (subject to a replacement being in place). Having to sell good players is a bit of a sad reflection of where we are - but its just the way it is.

Two things for me:

One. We want characters who are willing to lead on the pitch and use their voice when needed, even to the manager.

Two. The manager is still the boss and needs to be respected. Voice your concerns… but still follow team tactics or tactics simply won’t work.

No idea what has happened, and speculation is a waste for me.

Anyone know any inside men we can get gossip off?

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Why?

They have two of the best attacking LB’s in the league already in Chillwell and Alonso 

Chilwell out for the rest of the season at least. It would be a big ask, with the amount of games they’ll have in all comps, for Alonso to play every game. They’ll be looking to compete on all levels so can pretty much guarantee they’ll be in for a left back who can play in the Champions League (not cup tied) in January - Digne would probably be ideal for them.

5 hours ago, Bill said:

Rumour is its Pickford that Benitez is willing to sell.

Good 👍🏼 

I personally don’t think Pickford is that hard to replace but I don’t really rate him. I think he’s massively over-rated/hyped (which will work in our favour on the fee) with him being England’s number 1. He’s an excellent shot stopper and decent (inconsistent) with his feet but, beyond that, he’s very average in my opinion. He’s shocking on crosses and pretty sure he’s statistically the worst keeper in the league in a one-on-one situation. I really like Meisler at Leeds and Sanchez at Brighton as commanding young keepers but think there are plenty out there.

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

Chilwell out for the rest of the season at least. It would be a big ask, with the amount of games they’ll have in all comps, for Alonso to play every game. They’ll be looking to compete on all levels so can pretty much guarantee they’ll be in for a left back who can play in the Champions League (not cup tied) in January - Digne would probably be ideal for them.

Last I heard was that he’d be back in a couple of months and they were hopeful surgery won’t be needed.

https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/news/thomas-tuchel-provides-ben-chilwell-injury-update-after-acl-injury

I don’t know why such concerns about him going he’s been terrible for about 2 years, and now he thinks he can dictate team tactics. From what I’ve read in the past most of the team have been praising Benitez, for his training techniques tactics and knowledge, bar Digne who’s obviously forgot how shit he was before Benitez turned up and has carried that same shit form on since his arrival. If we can get some money for him let’s cash in his course has run here time to move him on. 

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Digne has said on his Instagram that we shouldn't believe everything we read, that the manager simply chose not to select him and that's football.

Good let’s hope that’s the case and it puts an end to the speculations, a little back tracking never hurt anyone. 

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Though it seems very silly that he wasn't on the bench, if any of the back four had been taken off injured, Godfrey would have been moved across to cover,  leaving us with no LB.  Strange. 😮

This is the only part that concerns me. Digne probably needed a drop, but I’m surprised it was from the whole match day squad itself. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Though it seems very silly that he wasn't on the bench, if any of the back four had been taken off injured, Godfrey would have been moved across to cover,  leaving us with no LB.  Strange. 😮

That did happen 😂 but he brought Holgate on and left Godfrey where he was. 
I agree though. Should have been on the bench. 

18 hours ago, c1982 said:

Thought it was just an ACL tear and out for up to 6 weeks