IGNORED

Lucas Digne

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

If I saw his assists etc I'd be really excited. £25m in this day and age for a potent attacking fullback is a steal. 

Yeah...think we've been stung by YouTube videos plenty of times! 🤣

But yeah, he's had some fab years with us and been an exciting player. Shame he's gone off the boil for some time now...victim of our circumstances or a helper in creating them??? Hmmm. Who knows.

Good luck to him anyway. £25mill doesn't feel enough and neither does a move to Villa. But then we are a delusional bunch so 🤷‍♂️

Have read just a straight £25M and also read £23M upfront with £5M add on.

I think that is probably about right for the player. The Digne of a season or two ago - will end up being a good deal for Villa, Digne we have been seeing this past 12 months then a straight £25M is a decent deal for us.

Obviously It would have been nice to have had a bit more for him, seemed plenty team interested in him but not at £25M and the wages his demands. This would also suggests £25M is about his value. 

49 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This Hendel character - he was the bloke tweeting guff about Dignes stats when we got beat to make it less about Digne - digne used to like the tweets etc

This Hendel character - he was the bloke tweeting guff about Dignes stats when we got beat to make it less about Digne - digne used to like the tweets etc

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think we all agree he is been a great player for us and still will be for a few years if he rolls his sleeves up and his form returns.

like I said, Villa get the Digne of his first couple of seasons with us then they are getting a decent enough deal. Last season he was good in the first half and then really dropped away after injury and signing a big contract -

Digne of the last 12 months is defiantly not represented in those graphics. I think we all agree with this - stats or no stats

Villa are investing around £14..25M a year for the next 4 years (total of £55M) up to his 33rd Birthday. I don't see them ever getting a bean of this back. If he is on the rumoured +£150K a week they are unlikely to  get him off theirs books in the next 4 years. If Digne has been cruising a bit this past 12 months because he'd signed that massive deal with us, then Villa are in for one fuck of a shock - he has  definitely not moved there for CL football or silverwear. This is a Gylfi type of signing for them if you ask me.  

Have a quick google on most expensive left back deals ever - I think this £25M (30euro) deal will be up in the top half dozen deal ever dome. So not bad in these COVID times for a player going in to his last main contract. 

I’ll be sorry to see him go based on first two season, not so on the last one and this so far, Villa doesn’t strike me as the most obvious place for him  to go with his ambition, taking the alleged fall out with Rafa, are Watkin’s and Ings better targets than DCL and Richy ? If he does play regularly then it should see him get a WC place.

RuffRobbs finances does seem to indicate Villa are doing a Gylfi

£25 million is a good deal for us based on recent levels of performance. As touched on above if he was that good you have to wonder why no top 4 or so teams from any leagues have snapped him up. Been a pleasure having him here but it’s also a bit refreshing to see us moving a player on whilst his value is at its peak. 

15 hours ago, Shukes said:

I remember it clearly as I was a fan of his coming here, and was worried he would be moved on fast. Can even remember the interview where he hinted about not being given a chance.

Dont look too much into stats as they don’t really tell the whole picture. Assists is a great example of this.

23 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I thought you would be likely using some match stats, he was not first choice for a good season. He used a centre half at left back more than baines , baines was very inconsistent at the start….

he was 22 also.   You get my point. 

I have never heard stats for minutes played as being unreliable?

Baines suffered an achillies injury that year that kept him in and out of the team. He still played his fair share of 90 minutes that season. Achillies are horrible niggly injuries.

Anyway, its all a bit redundant now, but there was never time I thought Baines wouldnt make it here but then again I saw a lot of him at Wigan.

FWIW I'm not saying that Mykolenko isnt going to make it here and never have. I have clearly said he needed more time to see how it goes. 

27 minutes ago, Btay said:

Classy as expected form Digne. Best of luck for him in every game except against us 

His post isn’t really a good look for anyone. I don’t find it to be particularly classy. If you’re “not going to get into a war of words” probably don’t take a shot at the manager on your way out. Always like Digne and wish him well but he’s obviously a bit salty (justified or not).

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

His post isn’t really a good look for anyone. I don’t find it to be particularly classy. If you’re “not going to get into a war of words” probably don’t take a shot at the manager on your way out. Always like Digne and wish him well but he’s obviously a bit salty (justified or not).

But it’s been fine for the manager to take shots at him in his press conferences?

I wish Digne would give his side and throw the manager under the bus like he’s done to him. 

Theres always 2 sides to every story, from his post I feel he wants to tell his, but he is likely getting really good advice to leave it behind closed doors and is showing respect to the club/fans by not doing so. Nothing wrong with the few subtle hints/digs in my eyes, but unfortunately we’ll likely never know the full story or what the truth in it all is.

Seen a photo of a post that was taken down by a seemingly well connected Evertonian. He asked Alan myers if there is any truth in it. 

basically the source was Anthony Gordon’s mate who advised the person the Gordon loves Rafa, the reason being is that he drills him and takes training very seriously. Someone chimes in saying that Digne was allowed to travel to France midweek h def ancelottj and training was a joke.  

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

But it’s been fine for the manager to take shots at him in his press conferences?

I wish Digne would give his side and throw the manager under the bus like he’s done to him. 

You can argue that it’s not classy from either I suppose. People complain about managers not being honest about what’s happening in the squad all the time. When one gives actual info about a situation within the team he’s lambasted. 

Also, a manager commenting on a player has actual utility. Motivation, letting other clubs know he’s available, sending a message to the squad etc.. A departing player taking a shot at his former manager is his perogative but there is no utility there. He just couldn’t help himself despite “not wanting a war of words”. 

I just feel like so many have this view of Rafa (before he even arrived) as some villain that every action is colored with that lens. He didn’t create the situation he walked into but to read the comments you’d think he’s responsible for everything that’s gone wrong with the club for the last 30 years. I don’t know if he will find success here or not but I don’t believe he has been given a fair chance by many of our supporters. Perhaps it was naive of the club to imagine he would have that opportunity but it’s not a good look.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have never heard stats for minutes played as being unreliable?

Baines suffered an achillies injury that year that kept him in and out of the team. He still played his fair share of 90 minutes that season. Achillies are horrible niggly injuries.

Anyway, its all a bit redundant now, but there was never time I thought Baines wouldnt make it here but then again I saw a lot of him at Wigan.

FWIW I'm not saying that Mykolenko isnt going to make it here and never have. I have clearly said he needed more time to see how it goes. 

Of course they are Bailey.

Said it over and over. If I set you up by dribbling past every player on the pitch, then stop the ball on the goal line…. And you trip over you laces and put your hand on the ball….. i don’t get an assist. 

I can set you up consistently, but if you do t finish…. Then over the park a defender smashes the ball into Trents face and it rebounds to Salah for a tap in, Trent goes down as an assist.

But you do remember his start at Everton, and it wasn’t plain sailing mate, not at all.

6 hours ago, StevO said:

That doesn’t make good reading either. Clearly very popular, I hope it doesn’t lead to real unrest in the squad. 

I think they are simply supporting a former colleague and friend. 
There is a dig in there about someone. But there’s also 90% of the list about how much he enjoyed it here and thanks the fans…. I was touched by his post as well.

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

You can argue that it’s not classy from either I suppose. People complain about managers not being honest about what’s happening in the squad all the time. When one gives actual info about a situation within the team he’s lambasted. 

Also, a manager commenting on a player has actual utility. Motivation, letting other clubs know he’s available, sending a message to the squad etc.. A departing player taking a shot at his former manager is his perogative but there is no utility there. He just couldn’t help himself despite “not wanting a war of words”. 

I just feel like so many have this view of Rafa (before he even arrived) as some villain that every action is colored with that lens. He didn’t create the situation he walked into but to read the comments you’d think he’s responsible for everything that’s gone wrong with the club for the last 30 years. I don’t know if he will find success here or not but I don’t believe he has been given a fair chance by many of our supporters. Perhaps it was naive of the club to imagine he would have that opportunity but it’s not a good look.

Digne's message seems to suggest that the things the manager has been saying aren't the truth, or the whole truth at least. So this manager's comments deserve scrutiny and not just taken as him being honest and which then means they have less utility. 

So, I'm not sure how you can just dismiss what Digne has said as having no utility and is just a shot at the manager but then take what the manager has said as the absolute truth.

I suspect that, as usual, the reality is somewhere between what the pair of them would say.

Edit - Also, when someone is publicly attacking your character and reputation then I think you have every right to have a few digs. The only problem I have with Digne's goodbye statement is that he didn't go in with a full two-footed red card challenge :lol:. If you're going to go out then go in a blaze of glory!