IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

I don't disagree that he was very much stuck in static 1 v 1's most of the time when trying to take players on.  I think one of his qualities we saw last season, usually on the counter was his ability with his first touch or the way he turned his body to beat a defender who was at his heels when the ball was played to him or past him.  I remember a few times where he had a lovely touch that left the defender for dead. 

Taking on a player head on is very different (I was a pacey winger and was hopeless at taking players on!  In classic winger style if I had the run on a player I was fine!).

The main positives I saw from Gordon in this game were when he came in side looking to break into the box, the chance that he squandered was a good run to find himself in good space.

I do think our wingers would always rather not be out on the wing as they'd prefer to be coming inside, this kind of play is where we need better support from the wing backs to allow them come inside without us then lacking any width.

On 28/12/2022 at 16:44, Bailey said:

I am going to back Gordon up here because I have an element of sympathy for him. 

The basic theory is that you want a winger 1 v 1 with space to run into and exploit. You want them getting to the byline, or cutting inside at the centre backs.

What you dont want is to be running into two banks of opposition players with no support from your full back or midfield. 

Gordon didnt get a single chance to run at Bueno or Ait-Nouri. We moved the ball too slow, there was no space for him to attack, he had no support. 

I said this at the end of last season, but Ill repeat it again. Gordon is decent enough on the counter when he has space, when he can use his pace, when he can try and beat a man 1 v 1. He has absolutely nothing about him when those skills are nullified. 

Second half he had many opportunities for a 1 v 1, the issue was that he was always facing the wrong way and not wanting the ball. 
There were several times a ball just in front of him would have sent him running against one defender. But he simply faced our goal and out his hand up as if to say “na go the other way” 

Thats my issue with him. He seems to talk it up great, but doesn’t back it up with actual effort.

On 29/12/2022 at 15:13, FairWooney said:

I don't disagree that he was very much stuck in static 1 v 1's most of the time when trying to take players on.  I think one of his qualities we saw last season, usually on the counter was his ability with his first touch or the way he turned his body to beat a defender who was at his heels when the ball was played to him or past him.  I remember a few times where he had a lovely touch that left the defender for dead. 

Taking on a player head on is very different (I was a pacey winger and was hopeless at taking players on!  In classic winger style if I had the run on a player I was fine!).

The main positives I saw from Gordon in this game were when he came in side looking to break into the box, the chance that he squandered was a good run to find himself in good space.

I do think our wingers would always rather not be out on the wing as they'd prefer to be coming inside, this kind of play is where we need better support from the wing backs to allow them come inside without us then lacking any width.

I think a lot of defenders are a lot wiser to what he was good at last year too. He needs to develop his game, just to have the same impact as last season.

It was a good run but it developed from an error/counter so was much easier to make as the space was there to exploit. 

They do love cutting in and unless there are other players to draw defenders out of the centre, 9/10 they are just running into traffic.

On 29/12/2022 at 17:13, Shukes said:

Second half he had many opportunities for a 1 v 1, the issue was that he was always facing the wrong way and not wanting the ball. 
There were several times a ball just in front of him would have sent him running against one defender. But he simply faced our goal and out his hand up as if to say “na go the other way” 

Thats my issue with him. He seems to talk it up great, but doesn’t back it up with actual effort.

My view of that is because Wolves had the numbers there. He isn't good enough to go and take on 2 or 3 players. He did it once to get past Bueno, but then there were a couple of other waiting to sweep up behind him. He is better keeping possession than running into situations where he is going to lose the ball. 

He never had the full back 1 v 1 in space to drive at. Same goes on the other side too.

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle have a nine-man transfer list, which includes Everton and England Under-21 forward Anthony Gordon, 21, and three Chelsea players: Morocco winger Hakim Ziyech, 29, and England midfielders Conor Gallagher and Ruben Loftus-Cheek. (Telegraph - subscription required) 

Get him gone. Fook me what a downward trajectory he’s had.

Alarm bells went off big time with the AG10, stupid hair dye, and big time Charlie “gimme a call” goal celebrations….. then he started telling his team mates off for his errors. 

I wanted to keep him even with £60m offered such was his impact at the end of the season. What that money could have given us…. Ffs. 

59 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I want him gone just so people can shut the fuck up about the £60m that was NEVER offered.

A sizeable amount was offered, no question cos he wanted to go.  Was it £60m? Dunno, but the manager and many of us looked at his potential and thought “he will be worth a lot more than that”

sadly, he went and changed his profile to AG10, dyed his hair, wore statement clothes and started acting like he was Cristiano Ronaldo but played like Ronald McDonald

What a prick. 5 months ago he was giving it the big one asking Chelsea to “call me” barely one game into the season having been given the number 10 and a lifetimes supply of hair dye, with rumours of a £60m fee.

Roll on 2 more months and he was talking about being taken to the World Cup whilst stinking the gaff out and blaming team mates for his errors. 

now with his stock as low as it can be, clubs like Newcastle happy to take a gamble on him at half his summer valuation and he’s liking the story. 

what I’m not liking is he cost us big time last week and the club is in a relegation battle and looking to escape.