IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Really poor today.

I was most disappointed with his defensive efforts though. He absolutely hung Mykolenko out to dry at times, he only got protection when Gray swapped over.

He put in some good defensive work in both halves though you're right as I remember it was always on the right hand side.  Did work hard defensively I thought though did nothing in attack today.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Really poor today.

I was most disappointed with his defensive efforts though. He absolutely hung Mykolenko out to dry at times, he only got protection when Gray swapped over.

And then Gordon and Patterson had a Barney when Gordon eventually closed down a cross. Was good to see Patterson give it back to him and tell him to work harder.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

And then Gordon and Patterson had a Barney when Gordon eventually closed down a cross. Was good to see Patterson give it back to him and tell him to work harder.

It was probably only decent thing he did all game, and he wanted everyone to know about it. But I think he bit off more than he could chew with our little Highland Terrier. 

5 hours ago, Btay said:

Proper pissed me off that. All game until then Patterson is defending like a demon while Gordon isn't doing much at all and then the one time Patterson's caught napping he has the audacity to try and slaughter him. Like you, I'm glad Patterson stood up for himself.

He just had a poor game, it happens, especially with young players. He found it hard to get into the game as everything went through Grey, who played very well.

I'm sure Frank, Coady and the squad know how to handle it, and I think being subbed was the right thing.

If we could hold off on the pitchfork and dunking instincts for a bit, and see it for what it was, a bad game, that would be nice. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

He just had a poor game, it happens, especially with young players. He found it hard to get into the game as everything went through Grey, who played very well.

I'm sure Frank, Coady and the squad know how to handle it, and I think being subbed was the right thing.

If we could hold off on the pitchfork and dunking instincts for a bit, and see it for what it was, a bad game, that would be nice. 

I don’t think it’s pitchfork at all. Many of us are happy to have him and see him as a top talent.

however…….. the attention on him over the summer could understandably have an impact on  some young players ego.    Do I think it has???  Yeah I do.  Some very subtle things I’ve picked up on and some not so subtle. 
his workrate has been off, ball watches an awful lot, silly bookings

he made a huge miscalculation in trying to dig Patterson out on Sunday. if you wanna get in a teammates face for a momentary lapse cos you think you’ve been a hero - make sure it’s not the player who had been covering your arse all game. 

he could learn an awful lot from how Patterson carries himself. 

31 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Just noticed Gordon has 4 yellow cards already!  1 away from a suspension after just 7 matches!

I thought the one he got on Sunday was a bit soft though, Patterson put in a challenge and he came through afterwards, the comms had no idea who was getting the yellow till it was confirmed!

He’s been booked absolutely needlessly for a few of them. He genuinely needs to get his head out of his backside, petulant and costly. 

a bit of work needs doing with this lad to get the best out of his talent, his temperament is questionable and he tried it on with Patterson and got his backside handed to him. We have a team that has gone from lacking characters to having an abundance of them with Coady, tarks, Onana, gana, Patterson, mykolenko, Iwobi. 

He has the ability to be great but he needs grounding 

57 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He’s been booked absolutely needlessly for a few of them. He genuinely needs to get his head out of his backside, petulant and costly. 

a bit of work needs doing with this lad to get the best out of his talent, his temperament is questionable and he tried it on with Patterson and got his backside handed to him. We have a team that has gone from lacking characters to having an abundance of them with Coady, tarks, Onana, gana, Patterson, mykolenko, Iwobi. 

He has the ability to be great but he needs grounding 

I think some people on this forum need grounding. 🤔 

On 19/09/2022 at 18:33, Romey 1878 said:

Proper pissed me off that. All game until then Patterson is defending like a demon while Gordon isn't doing much at all and then the one time Patterson's caught napping he has the audacity to try and slaughter him. Like you, I'm glad Patterson stood up for himself.

I actually thought it was Gordon’s area to cover and he got there late, then popped off at Patterson. Regardless I don’t mind seeing 2 players going at it, shows they care.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I actually thought it was Gordon’s area to cover and he got there late, then popped off at Patterson. Regardless I don’t mind seeing 2 players going at it, shows they care.

Quite often it is the case.  For me Gordon has great ability to cover ground and can tackle well.  It’s his consistency in applying it. 

a few have mentioned on here that he likes to do the big statement track back and tackles but does he do the bread and butter work to help with shape and tracking his man? Not so much.  The goal from the throw in last season vs Burnley was a shocker and he’s got that in his locker. 

a few fans have thought that since the window closed he’s possibly sulking, I don’t think so but he’s certainly put himself on the radar. 

17 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Quite often it is the case.  For me Gordon has great ability to cover ground and can tackle well.  It’s his consistency in applying it. 

a few have mentioned on here that he likes to do the big statement track back and tackles but does he do the bread and butter work to help with shape and tracking his man? Not so much.  The goal from the throw in last season vs Burnley was a shocker and he’s got that in his locker. 

a few fans have thought that since the window closed he’s possibly sulking, I don’t think so but he’s certainly put himself on the radar. 

Inconsistency is understandable. This is his breakout season in effect, last year really doesn't count. Time on the pitch will improve his tackling and stamina, as will knowing when to run and when to rest and when to get stuck in. He's all desire, it just needs channeling and that comes with experience, which takes time.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Inconsistency is understandable. This is his breakout season in effect, last year really doesn't count. Time on the pitch will improve his tackling and stamina, as will knowing when to run and when to rest and when to get stuck in. He's all desire, it just needs channeling and that comes with experience, which takes time.

I think last season was his breakout. He was arguably our best player for many of the games where we needed all hands to the pump.

for me the whole AG10, mad hair style, blocked ear celebrations etc have come far too soon.  He will have slumps but he needs to focus first and foremost. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think last season was his breakout. He was arguably our best player for many of the games where we needed all hands to the pump.

for me the whole AG10, mad hair style, blocked ear celebrations etc have come far too soon.  He will have slumps but he needs to focus first and foremost. 

I'm writing in a rush here, so some of this is going to come across badly I expect, so please don't take it as wind up, etc. I'm just stupid busy. 

He played a handful of games coming into a shitshow of a team and season, it would be mad to consider that a breakthrough season considering it wasn't even close to a whole season.

Your distain of anything any player does off the pitch that you don't like is bizarre to be honest. His life, his appearance, his choice. Your interpretation is a you issue, not his. The cupped ears is a celebration, he's trying to carve an identity and, here's the funny part, he only does that when he scores but you have a problem with it? Maybe he should stop scoring so we don't have to look at it (I think its a pretty shit celebration to be honest and emphasising the size of his ears isnt the best choice either) :lol:

He also started this season working his socks of trying to prove a point on the pitch and scored important goals whilst his future was national gossip. 

A couple of off games doesn't mean he's not focused. It probably means, and this is radical thinking here, he's had a couple of off games...

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He doesn't cup his ears, Matt, he puts his fingers in his ears.

I took that as him blocking out all the nonsense, or don't listen to everything you hear. I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with either of those meanings.

Ah, dodgy camera angles then, hadn't noticed. Still, it's hardly something to get upset about. Thought I'd seen him shushing in 1 celebration too. 

12 hours ago, London Blue said:

Fixed that post for you Haff.

It’s not a mis interpretation blue so do me a favour and try not to change my opinion- thanks. 👍

I know I can be seen a bit of a tough taskmaster when some fans think everything is all good and hunky dory with players and because they are good at what they do makes them immune to criticism.

I’m pretty sure if you had your way we would still be looking at ways of making Andre Gomes the player he appeared to be around 15 times in his whole Everton career. But I’m a bit different.  I seen how quickly our squad changed in its character when we started indulging the likes of mirallas, Lukaku, eto, schneiderlein, where their own “personal preferences” were aired to the public and against the managers direction.

im not saying that Gordon is that person - yet.   But the yet means I think he does need to be mentored let’s just say.  It’s not personal to him, it’s common when young players get overly praised, very easy for them to lose what got them in the first team to start with. 

im not sweating about it too much cos we have Coady and Tarkowski who don’t suffer fools. Maybe they will stop him being the next Barkley, Rodwell, Jeffers, Cadamarteri, Branch, and maybe be the next Sheedy or Trevor Steven. 

Surely no one can doubt that the Chelsea interest hasn’t had an effect on him, it made him centre of attention the media spotlight was focused on him and whilst it was he worked his bollocks off to look the best he could, and why wouldn’t he that’s the most natural thing to do, not because he was trying to force a move but because he was on a high and wanted to shine, now the spotlight hasn’t been on him so much the last couple of games the impetus to impress as diminished slightly probably due as much to over tiredness more than anything. I have no concerns with him, a cuddle from Frank and the little rest he has coming up he will soon be back to his best. 

Apparently he/agent wants a release clause in his new contract.

So basically “give me the higher wages and when xyz come in you have to sell me”.

what we had heard was he wanted the move to Chelsea but Everton wanted more than Chelsea would pay. 

im not sure he’s not sulking myself. Worked his balls off when window was open, in the games since window has shut he’s been poor and looked half arsed. 

more will surely follow on this. I think he could be off in January. 

40 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

So basically “give me the higher wages and when xyz come in you have to sell me”.

what we had heard was he wanted the move to Chelsea but Everton wanted more than Chelsea would pay. 

im not sure he’s not sulking myself. Worked his balls off when window was open, in the games since window has shut he’s been poor and looked half arsed. 

If we could get enough to cover the purchase of Kudus, I'd be happy.

47 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

What is the source of this info?

33 minutes ago, London Blue said:

What is the source of this info?

Dean Jones a reputable journo/insider.  Been quoted in the echo and other papers. 

The regarded authenticity of this will be subject to obvious bias.  

I see it as simple as this, Chelsea were interested - made a bid, gordon indicated he wanted to go and we declined the bid as we had a set figure that wasn’t met and it was taken out of his hands.

Like I said, more will surely follow on this but I would not offer any contract with a buyout clause to any player unless it was a Spanish style £250m one. 

if true this is extremely disappointing from a player who will be looking to get a 700% rise over 5 years that will make him financially secure for life.  To include a buyout clause suggests he wasnt entirely happy to stay. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

if true this is extremely disappointing from a player who will be looking to get a 700% rise over 5 years that will make him financially secure for life.  To include a buyout clause suggests he wasnt entirely happy to stay. 

It happens mate unfortunately, those who you think should show the most loyalty very rarely do, that’s why I could never understand why people would entertain having Barkley back, I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than see him ever play for Everton again. I pray your wrong about Gordon and he doesn’t go down the same route as Barkley.