IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’m hoping we’re saying he is not for sale. Don’t get me wrong…. Come back with 70, then he is for sale!  
But as it stands I’m hoping we’re keeping him.

Out of curiosity what do you value Gordon at in a vacuum? Not potential, or factoring in that he’s English or that he came in through our academy. In terms of what he provides as a player right now, what do you believe he’s worth?

4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Out of curiosity what do you value Gordon at in a vacuum? Not potential, or factoring in that he’s English or that he came in through our academy. In terms of what he provides as a player right now, what do you believe he’s worth?

You have to factor in his potential, but what he is now £30 million, what he could become £60 - £70 million.

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Hopefully they are playing hard ball to get Broja and Gallagher on loan. If they really want Gordon in their team then it costs them nothing to loan us the other two. 

I suspect we are working on other deals behind the scenes for players, if not, fuck!!

We can only loan one of them.

9 minutes ago, London Blue said:

You have to factor in his potential, but what he is now £30 million, what he could become £60 - £70 million.

I think that shows you what a good deal it is. Chelsea is allegedly paying pretty close to the best case scenario price. He would need to develop quite a bit in many areas to be worth that sort of money.

Personally I think 30m is even a bit generous for what his game is right now. It’s always far more likely a player like Gordon never realizes his full potential. 

8 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think that shows you what a good deal it is. Chelsea is allegedly paying pretty close to the best case scenario price. He would need to develop quite a bit in many areas to be worth that sort of money.

Personally I think 30m is even a bit generous for what his game is right now. It’s always far more likely a player like Gordon never realizes his full potential. 

He will improve, the question is "How much?"

He willingness to run at players and his footballing brain is very advanced for a player his age, added to his ability to beat a player and technical ability mean his celling is high, maybe very high.

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He will improve, the question is "How much?"

He willingness to run at players and his footballing brain is very advanced for a player his age, added to his ability to beat a player and technical ability mean his celling is high, maybe very high.

He has pace and decent technical ability. I’m not sure his footballing brain is as advanced as you suggest. His wastefulness often comes from making the wrong choices in the final moment. Given that he’s not particularly physical, doesn’t cross or defend that well, isn’t great in the air..he will have to really be clinical in the final 1/3 to be worth that price. 

Can he develop into that? Sure. But for every one who does there are 10 like  Gordon who never do. Consider that Richie is probably better than Gordon is now at every aspect of the game and he’s a 60m ish player. From a pure business standpoint I think it’s a no brainer deal for us. Of course, there are other factors.

Wonder what the structure of the deal is? Journos need headlines and are reporting 60 mil but what if it is 15 up front with the rest as add-ons? Unless we know how much is guaranteed in the deal, no one knows what it is worth.  Just a bunch of talk to rile folks up and get clicks on the internet.

People will moan endlessly now if he stays because it was 60 lost but we really don't know.  Not selling him for peanuts guaranteed with loads of add-ons and instead keeping him could protect his value.

Have to trust Thelwell on this one.  Has done decent on the deals that have gone through so let's hope it continues. 

Also sad to say but we are going to also have to listen to Morshiri and judge it at the end of the window.  If we do not have a new striker or two, fans will lose it.

54 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I would say around 25m 

He is a dangerous player and his finishing WILL improve.

Ability wise he is very much on par with Gray and McNeil. What he has over them is potential.

13 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He has pace and decent technical ability. I’m not sure his footballing brain is as advanced as you suggest. His wastefulness often comes from making the wrong choices in the final moment. Given that he’s not particularly physical, doesn’t cross or defend that well, isn’t great in the air..he will have to really be clinical in the final 1/3 to be worth that price. 

Can he develop into that? Sure. But for every one who does there are 10 like  Gordon who never do. Consider that Richie is probably better than Gordon is now at every aspect of the game and he’s a 60m ish player. From a pure business standpoint I think it’s a no brainer deal for us. Of course, there are other factors.

He is still developing his finishing, but he gets into the right areas, he makes very good runs, his ball control and passing are good. He is no good heading, but he is not a striker, as for defending I would say he tracks back well and tackles.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

He is still developing his finishing, but he gets into the right areas, he makes very good runs, his ball control and passing are good. He is no good heading, but he is not a striker, as for defending I would say he tracks back well and tackles.

His biggest weakness is his tracking back. He tracks back for headlines sure.

But he does it in stages, he has a massive sprint off but in the same scenario ten minutes later, Literally stands there and watches. I think if he can improve this side of his game it automatically makes him ten percent a better player.

Just now, London Blue said:

Exactly what I mean. He is good at the headline tackles.

What he isn’t good at is consistently pressing and helping out at the back. Surely you watched against Villa when he stood and watched the player run into the penalty area from the byline. 

Goodison pretty much groaned collectively.

20 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I would say around 25m 

He is a dangerous player and his finishing WILL improve.

Ability wise he is very much on par with Gray and McNeil. What he has over them is potential.

I’m about there as far as current value.

In regards to McNeil, important to remember he’s just 22. I think he has some attributes Gordon hasn’t shown and vice versa. 

25 minutes ago, Shukes said:

His biggest weakness is his tracking back. He tracks back for headlines sure.

But he does it in stages, he has a massive sprint off but in the same scenario ten minutes later, Literally stands there and watches. I think if he can improve this side of his game it automatically makes him ten percent a better player.

The thing I worry most about is that he’s just not physically up for it. He needs to keep improving his body. Towards the end of last season he wore down badly to the point he was played less. When asked to play striker he was pretty easily bullied out of the game. I think the desire is there but adding some muscle (and he should) would improve all aspects of his game. Richie wasn’t huge either but he’s strong enough to hold position and really make himself a handful to deal with.

24 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I think if you’re a winger you have to be good at crossing the ball and/or heading the ball if you’re not just banging in double digit goals. Gordon is doing none of those things at the moment and is also an inconsistent presser/defender. I think the desire is there but you only get so many games before we want to see some progress in those areas. Still time of course. 

29 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think if you’re a winger you have to be good at crossing the ball and/or heading the ball if you’re not just banging in double digit goals. Gordon is doing none of those things at the moment and is also an inconsistent presser/defender. I think the desire is there but you only get so many games before we want to see some progress in those areas. Still time of course. 

He is still developing, but the potential is there to see.

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He is still developing, but the potential is there to see.

Short video :). For sure he has potential but for his position it’s always going to be end product, particularly if you don’t excel at other aspects of the game. 

He may develop into a very good, even a great player but he’d have to for us to turn down such a huge price. It also might take years for that to happen. Years I’m not sure we have. 

I’d be much more inclined to hold and see how he develops if we were a comfortably mid table or better side right now.