IGNORED

Spurs (Away) Monday July 6th

markjazzbassist

Just now, Shukes said:

Well I have to say, the players don’t deserve Europe. Not anywhere enough fight in the team. We’re still simply a really poor team.

We lack depth. Gomes having an absolute stinker but we have no quality to replace him confidently - he literally carries our midfield and would be preferred over any one of our CM’s even when playing at his worst...

Just now, Btay said:

We lack depth. Gomes having an absolute stinker but we have no quality to replace him confidently - he literally carries our midfield and would be preferred over any one of our CM’s even when playing at his worst...

That’s the issue. Even players when poor are our best option. 

That is such an Everton performance... this week was an opportunity to proper go for it with an unlikely late surge. 2 wins (however unlikely) could have seen us go into the Wolves game maybe even in a position to overtake them. To perform like that against a shaky Spurs was just far too familiar - sadly, I’ve seen that Everton performance far too many times. Ancelotti has a massive job on his hands - G.Neville was spot on in commentary - painfully not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Tbh I thought that with the extra rest Andre would come back better, doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.

I think he needs a physical presence next to him in midfield.

Would have to have been brave but I’d like to have seen Carlo drag him at half time and say to Davies - you’re the same type of player, show me your quality and run this midfield.

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

This feels like a make or break match, doesn't it?

It very much was and we just didn't turn up. Spurs wanted to fold (they clearly hate their manager) but we didn't put enough pressure on them. Gomes and Siggy can't play together in CM--they are far too slow. Given what we've heard from Everton we aren't getting more than a player or two in some we have to hope Carlo can wrangle this. 

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Tbh I thought that with the extra rest Andre would come back better, doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.

I think he (and Davies to a certain extent) are hamstrung currently as our midfield is all over the place - there’s no balance whatsoever. I’d keep Gomes and Davies but not to play as a pair - we need a commanding CM and wingers who can play this system. Gordon looks a true gem and his versatility will be a massive bonus.

So typical of us, a chance to end the season on a high, and we dont turn up, i thought Carlo would have got rid of that couldn't give a fuck attitude, but its still there.

He still has a lot to do to turn the inferiority complex around when playing top sides.

Nothing pisses me off more than millionaires who carnt be bothered, the joys of being a blue, no wonder i have to take blood pressure tablets.

Was Kane not coming back from an offside position for the goal?

The most frustrating thing about that game is that Spurs were bloody awful and yet they didn't have to get out of 2nd gear to win. 

Let's not beat around the bush though because this performance was largely the same as it has been since the restart. Restrictively defensive football that relies on Richarlison and DCL to win a second ball to get some possession.  We were so defensive today that when our full backs went forward all 3 of our central midfielders sat deep. We are playing football not to lose rather than trying to win. With only a couple of minutes left we only had 6 touches in the opposition box, but that's similar to previous matches, so its no surprise. 

Pickford did make a mistake but it wasn't a biggie this time. He looks very low on confidence but still dealt with everything else. I am more annoyed by his decisions at the end to kick the ball long to the two smallest players on the pitch. 

Digne had another good game. He didn't really get forward but he defended very well.

Keane was the pick of the CBs, the other two doing OK on the whole.

Coleman struggled a bit today. He just never had a grip of Son or Moura. 

The less said about the midfield the better, Davies maybe the best of a bad bunch but he was crap, Gomes forgot which side he was playing for and Siggy looked more like a spectator than a player. 

I actually saw a little hope in Iwobi. He picked up some positions between the lines to give and go, but very often noone gave it so it came to nothing. Im not sure how he was hooked over Siggy.

Gordon came on a showed a bit of energy. He had one nice dribble and one drive and shot but his overall play was underwhelming again. 

DCL was poor. Never in the game and when he did he fucked it. He just continues to show very naive decision making. Why on earth he tried forcing a pass to a marked Richarlison when he was in a couple of yards of space on the edge of the box is beyond me. 

Richarlison looked like the one that was going to do something but that very rarely involved much that deep in Spurs half. Their plan seemed to be to stop him and it worked. He was the one trying to get the ball off the midfield, turn and do something. On the whole though he still didn't contribute a great deal. Unlike most though he looked as if he was trying to for some of the game.

Of the other subs Sidibe was embarrassing and Kean at least showed something positive in this game, but it was mostly naivety. 

I am going to struggle watching us if we keep playing like this.