IGNORED

Spurs (FA Cup Home) Wednesday 10 February

markjazzbassist

cracking game - some quality goals. 

biggest plus -we wanted that game more. I thought we had screwed it up a number of time and where going to fold and then get well beaten. I was wrong big time, they all dug in and out battled Spurs and deserved it.  that's two games on the bounce now. 

Quality and heart - loving it.

I wish I'd been watching that game as a neutral because watching two team that couldn't defend for shit like that would have been fun. As it was, I soiled myself a few times instead. I don't know what the hell has happened to our defence the past couple of games, particularly from set pieces. I need them to get back to being solid or I am going to have a heart attack!

We started the game so poorly, Spurs were in total control of things and we couldn't get a foothold whatsoever. I thought we were set to be on the end of a pasting when they took the lead to be honest. Somehow we dragged ourselves into the game and went bang, bang, bang and found ourselves 3-1 up out of nowhere. Fair play to Spurs for themselves recovering from that to get their second right before half-time. That was just a sign of things to come.

Honestly, the second half is a bit of a blur because I was a nervous wreck. They got it back to 3-3 pretty quickly and I thought that would be the beginning of the end for us after throwing it away and it felt like a big psychological blow and we all know how we've handled those over the years. But again we pulled something out and went 4-3 up, only to chuck it away again to let it get to 4-4 and then extra-time. I'm sat there at this point hoping for another goal from either side to save me from the agony of a penalty shoot-out. Fortunately, little Bernie was the one that got that goal and I'm going to need a few days to recover from this rollercoaster :lol:.

On to the next round we go!

It's pissing me off a bit that all the coverage about this game seems to be about Spurs. How bad they were, how tired they were, how they had players missing.

We were very bad too, we looked tired as well (except Doucoure who is an absolute freak and looked like he could've played another game), and we had a massive chunk of our team on the sidelines, DCL had to go off injured, we couldn't name a full subs bench and had two keepers on it!

The last couple of performances have been very interesting - both against so called top 6 teams and both have been a little more 'adventurous' that say against they have been in the preceding 2 months, when we defended deeper but solidly. 

It is noticeable that we have taken the game a little further up the pitch and been a little more adventurous in our approach. (out of nowhere Spur unexpectedly did a similar thing last night). 

Having achieved a 'tough to score against' set up in the team and the player are now getting used to playing together and working as a unit on the pitch -  you can defiantly see that Ancelotti is getting the team to slowly dip their toe's in to more pressing football higher up the pitch, but built on a solid defensive set up 

Its quite impressive seeing most of the players (that Ancelotti is wanting in his squad) at the club improve this season and seeing the team going out with proper thought out game plans. We have all scoffed at a few team selections when they come up and hour before the game, but Ancelotti seems to be getting it right most games - and getting results.

You can see he is building a solid team and style of play this season, but he is still getting results on the way to doing it.

I know we have shipped in a few goals in the last couple of games - but we are not being torn to shreds by these team. A considerable percentage have been conceded from set pieces - so I am sure this is pretty straight forward to tweak and sort out, and some have just been from very good play from the opposition - we are not going to be playing the quality players Man U and Spur poses every week.  But at the moment when we do play them - we are holding our own!!! This is very encouraging. 

I have just been watching the highlight of last nights game - three of our five goals came from pressure in the final third and the winning of the 50/50 balls. If the penny has dropped on the work rate against ALL teams we play then I am quietly optimistic of a decent points tally for the remainder of the season.