IGNORED

Manchester City (Home) 26th February

dunlopp9987

They’re very vulnerable if you actually attack them, as has just been shown. We need to get pace into the side so I hope Gray is back because Iwobi will more than likely lose his place after today and I might lose my mind if Townsend gets that spot.

Get DCL out, move Richarlison up front and have Dele just behind him. Dele isn’t exactly slow and he has great movement which will drag the City defenders about, and he’s capable of creating if he can get himself into space.

We need to get on the ball as much as we can and use it well. 

On 20/02/2022 at 05:31, Romey 1878 said:

They’re very vulnerable if you actually attack them, as has just been shown. We need to get pace into the side so I hope Gray is back because Iwobi will more than likely lose his place after today and I might lose my mind if Townsend gets that spot.

Get DCL out, move Richarlison up front and have Dele just behind him. Dele isn’t exactly slow and he has great movement which will drag the City defenders about, and he’s capable of creating if he can get himself into space.

We need to get on the ball as much as we can and use it well. 

I think too many teams let city dictate the game and don’t attack nearly enough in fear of them breaking. For us I can’t see us getting anything from the game if we try for a 1-0. 433 - we’ve all been saying it for the whole season. 

Maybe Doucoure in for Allan for the extra mobility, I’m not sure how you fit all 4 into a midfield.

Pickford 

Coleman   Holgate   Keane   Kenny*

Doucoure                DVB

Alli 

Gordon                DCL           Richarlison 

I don’t think Gray is back yet? Kenny or Mykolenko. I’d rather have DCL up front than Richarlison unless Gray is back because Iwobi/Townsend lack that bit of quality, unless it’s Iwobi from Leeds but you never know. 

29 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think too many teams let city dictate the game and don’t attack nearly enough in fear of them breaking. For us I can’t see us getting anything from the game if we try for a 1-0. 433 - we’ve all been saying it for the whole season. 

This.

I'm obviously not saying we should go all out attack, or anything like that, because that would be utter suicide. But, you have to have a go at them if you have any hope of exposing their defensive weaknesses.

The full-backs go forward and are more like midfielders so you need quick wide men that will expose that. Please, for the love of god, do not play Andros Townsend! Their CB's are slow as well, so even though I think DCL (and us) would benefit from him starting on the bench, I know he's going to be in that starting 11 and I can comfort myself with the fact that if he does rediscover his form he should give them a problem.

Pace, pace, pace, pressure them all over the pitch (we're going to have to be very fit for this game) to get the ball back, use the ball well when we do get it and get the first goal.

Easy...

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This.

I'm obviously not saying we should go all out attack, or anything like that, because that would be utter suicide. But, you have to have a go at them if you have any hope of exposing their defensive weaknesses.

The full-backs go forward and are more like midfielders so you need quick wide men that will expose that. Please, for the love of god, do not play Andros Townsend! Their CB's are slow as well, so even though I think DCL (and us) would benefit from him starting on the bench, I know he's going to be in that starting 11 and I can comfort myself with the fact that if he does rediscover his form he should give them a problem.

Pace, pace, pace, pressure them all over the pitch (we're going to have to be very fit for this game) to get the ball back, use the ball well when we do get it and get the first goal.

Easy...

Yeah I think we need to be compact but more importantly dynamic. I don’t think their backline would enjoy having Gordon, Richarlison and DCL buzzing around. Hopefully the midfield 3 can get us on the ball a bit as well because that’s where our quality is. Also our backline needs as much protection as possible so more ball the less defending. Ultimately there’s no point playing if we aren’t going to have a go and an early goal will have Goodison rocking and city may start to look over their shoulders at liverpool.

52 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Easy...

Hoping Gray is fit and we can get him running at them. Spurs showed you can definitely get at City. They will have a point to prove after last week - and Liverpool are breathing down their neck - but if the crowd are on it and the team are on it, we could make it very uncomfortable for them. If Frank goes more dogs of war, I would be made up, but I suspect he will be more cautious and look to counter...

I’m very optimistic about this game not necessarily about getting a point, but by what confidence it will give the team going forward if we put a really good performance in, this could be the game that really gets the players to believe in themselves and the management. For me this game means more than just the result and more about the performance for our future. 

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This.

Easy...

We also have to have the confidence to play through them, rather than just go long or rush that ball. 

Once you get through their intense first press the whole pitch opens up and you can create really good attacking positions where you are 3 v 3 etc. 

Easier said than done mind you!

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

We also have to have the confidence to play through them, rather than just go long or rush that ball. 

Once you get through their intense first press the whole pitch opens up and you can create really good attacking positions where you are 3 v 3 etc. 

Easier said than done mind you!

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure we have the talent to do so. And as Lampard mentioned post-Southampton, we have a tendency to panic and abandon the way he wants us to play, reverting back to the long-ball game that Rafa had us playing

7 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure we have the talent to do so. And as Lampard mentioned post-Southampton, we have a tendency to panic and abandon the way he wants us to play, reverting back to the long-ball game that Rafa had us playing

4 hours ago, RPG said:

If ever there was a game that we needed to go into feeling confident, then this is it. Once City smell blood it can quickly become a thrashing. But if we approach the game with a front foot mentality and game plan, have confidence in ourselves, trust and run for each other then we are just about capable of getting something from the game. A hard fought point would do wonders for confidence.

I'm hoping that the fans in attendance (myself included) are ready to support the team like they did against Leeds, that will certainly help. Yeah, the chances of us winning this are less than a couple of weeks ago, and we are going to see less of the ball (so have less to shout about in that respect), but we need to support them like that every single home game in particular. I'm definitely up for that and I think, and hope, the majority of those there will be too.

We need to help them as much as we possibly can. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

To some that may sound silly and futile and in the context of having any bearing on the war and obviously it would be, but remember it isn’t done for that reason, it’s to show we stand by Ukraine 🇺🇦 and respect their people here and there. I’m proud to part of this club. 

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Unless it makes the city centre backs think they are going up against Rondon so they go for a pint and a curry before the game…

Normally El Bobble only mentions team news like 15 minutes before the team news actually drops so it makes me wonder if it is mind games like you describe... that or possibly a more serious injury... Will just have to see if he is included.

Had a funny feeling that we would beat Arsenal when we did, and had that funny feeling today about Manchester City. It would be a proper Everton thing to do to turn on the style under the lights when seen as clear underdogs. I think even though it could go one of two ways, City could bounce back as everyone or expects or we could take advantage of their fragility and give them another defeat - obviously have everything crossed for the latter.

Gutted to say I won't be there tonight, wife has been feeling under the weather since the back end of the week so staying at home to be with her and the little one. Will of course hear me shout in the ground if we score, and wishing I was there of course in what is the best set of circumstances to see a game at the Old Lady. Calvert-Lewin popping up to silence his critics would be a welcome bonus, but at this stage of the season and in these circumstances I'd take a 1-0 win with the winner coming off Rondon's left testicle. 

Edit: Just seen the team news, no DCL. Up you step Van de Beek/Dele/Gordon/fucking Eni Baadhi.