IGNORED

Ifs, buts and Maybes

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Just been reading that Bournemouth despise Leeds, their fans trashed Bournemouth a few years back and it’s created very bad feelings. Wonder if they think Bournemouth will carry on “experimenting” with their line ups. 

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/cannot-go-ahead-bournemouth-supporters-contact-police-over-leeds-united-bank-holiday-clash-3735568

My big worry is whether or not we have enough to get a result against a Bournemouth side with their flip flops on anyway ( we’ll apart from Leicester getting anything tomorrow )

We just need to take care of business.

Last home game, we need the fans not to go quiet like they did 2H v Man City. First half was amazing. More of that the whole game please regardless of score. Such a shame DCL likely won't be fit. 

if NCL do us a favour tonight then a draw might be enough...but it's on the players to dig deep. 

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

My big worry is whether or not we have enough to get a result against a Bournemouth side with their flip flops on anyway ( we’ll apart from Leicester getting anything tomorrow )

Agreed, my biggest worry was DCL going off injured.  My biggest concern all season has been lack of a target man to cover for him. 

I’m hoping they can get him out there, bit of a pain killing injection if needed.  We really do depend on him that much.   Absolutely criminal how we have been managed. 

I genuinely believe Newcastle will run over Leicester tonight. Im still fearful though, because we are Everton. 

if we have our future in our hands and it depends on us getting a result on Sunday then I would like to think our work rate alone will get us there. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Hate to spoil the party, but it isn’t in our own hands. It’s in Leicester own hands.

They win tomorrow and they are out of the relegation zone with a game to play.

Techincally....it is in our hands. We just need to win our last game by 7 more goals than Leicester win their last two games. 

It's high unlikely, if not bat shit crazy that this scenario happens but I believe you weren't commenting on what is "most likely" to happen. 😂

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Agreed, my biggest worry was DCL going off injured.  My biggest concern all season has been lack of a target man to cover for him. 

I’m hoping they can get him out there, bit of a pain killing injection if needed.  We really do depend on him that much.   Absolutely criminal how we have been managed. 

I genuinely believe Newcastle will run over Leicester tonight. Im still fearful though, because we are Everton. 

if we have our future in our hands and it depends on us getting a result on Sunday then I would like to think our work rate alone will get us there. 

I know what you mean about being fearful - all these discussions based on the assumption we beat Bournemouth at home. It's not beating teams like Bournemouth at home that has pretty much got us in to this position!!

We have been diabolical this season when there has been any sort of onus on us playing football and taking the game to teams. Our better results have been counterattacking against teams who have more dominant possession of the ball. 

I agree a significant amount of our problems this season, and much of last, was not having DOM fit and no plan B for him as the main striker. With this I am fairly confident we would unhappily be an average mid table team.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I know what you mean about being fearful - all these discussions based on the assumption we beat Bournemouth at home. It's not beating teams like Bournemouth at home that has pretty much got us in to this position!!

We have been diabolical this season when there has been any sort of onus on us playing football and taking the game to teams. Our better results have been counterattacking against teams who have more dominant possession of the ball. 

I agree a significant amount of our problems this season, and much of last, was not having DOM fit and no plan B for him as the main striker. With this I am fairly confident we would unhappily be an average mid table team.

I think the plan B has been Gray up front which would play into our counterattack setup. But if we need a target man, it has to be Simms or even maybe Onana/Doucoure. 

3 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Techincally....it is in our hands. We just need to win our last game by 7 more goals than Leicester win their last two games. 

It's high unlikely, if not bat shit crazy that this scenario happens but I believe you weren't commenting on what is "most likely" to happen. 😂

So, if Leicester win by the odd goal in both games, we need to score 9 or win by 9?

There is a precedent! Our 11-2 annihilation of a very poor Derby County outfit in the FA Cup of 1890!

👍

On 07/04/2023 at 13:18, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Was curious if there is a trend in promoted sides immediately being relegated so did a little digging. Bolded are teams that only lasted one season in the league. 

14/15: Hull, Burnley, QPR
15/16: Newcastle, Norwich, Villa
16/17: Hull, Boro, Sunderland
17/18: Swansea, Stoke, West Brom
18/19: Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield
19/20: Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich
20/21: Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield
21/22: Burnley, Watford, Norwich

17/18 is an anomaly, if trends hold it will be Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton relegated. While we should be confident we're certainly not out of the woods yet. COYB. 

Regardless of who goes down it will match the 17/18 anomaly. All 3 promoted sides guaranteed safety. 

On 15/05/2023 at 16:34, AlbanyNYToffee said:

wolves away 1
bournemouth home 3

Original projected points: 36 points
Current projected points: 36 points

Forest (16th on 33pts) - Arsenal (h), Palace (a)

Everton (17th on 32pts) - Wolves (a), Bournemouth (h)

Leeds (18th on 31pts) - West Ham (a), Spurs (h) 

Leicester (19th on 30pts) - Newcastle (a), West Ham (h)

Got the point we needed against Wolves. It gives us options to survive even with a draw in the final match. Win against bournemouth gets us to the projected 36. 

Everton (17th on 33pts) - Bournemouth (h)

Leeds (18th on 31pts) - Spurs (h) 

Leicester (19th on 30pts) - Newcastle (a), West Ham (h)

8 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

More than that because if they win they have at minimum another 2+.

And still in their hands as they already have better than us 😉

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

More than that because if they win they have at minimum another 2+.

And still in their hands as they already have better than us 😉

That's why I said 7 MORE than they won their last 2 games. If they win their last 2 games by 5 then we'd need to win by 12...see in our hands! 

49 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

That's why I said 7 MORE than they won their last 2 games. If they win their last 2 games by 5 then we'd need to win by 12...see in our hands! 

Haha still not in our hands. We need to rely on doing better than they do by a mountain! 
They have it in their hands. We need to rely on being able to outscore them by a minimum of 9. 

But I do love your positive thinking haha. Can’t beat that spirit 🙂

5 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I feel just as nervous watching this as I have been for Everton matches recently. I'm so afraid this will be a smash and grab

It feels weird watching football that isn’t a cup final and one of the teams isn’t Everton. Can’t get used to it.

1 minute ago, Haiku said:

We need them to lose otherwise a draw against Bournemouth may not be enough for us to survive.

Yes, I want Leicester to lose.  But the single most important thing is that Leicester not win.  A draw keeps it in our hands.  If we can’t beat Bournemouth on the final day, with relegation at stake........