IGNORED

Watford (Away) 11th May

Romey 1878

Just now, plaidharper said:

Watford were there for the taking.  COYBS!

They have been all game.  Announcers on DAZN must've said it 20 times and we can't be bothered to attack the game.  Really relying on getting somethign from the games that remain now when we could be out of sight really with a win here.  Such a waste. 

Frank will say that 0-0 is a good result for a team in the situation we are in, but I'm sorry but this was a piss poor performance.

Even for a terrible side as us we took the cowards option from the first minute.  A win, which was well within our grasp, wouldn't have meant we are safe but would have been a huge blow to Leeds and Burnley.

4 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

Not a great game or performance. Not gonna try to justify it, but it's a point away from home, so I'll take it. Two home games coming up now, both winnable in my opinion, but I'll take 4 points - I would like to think that that would be enough to see us safe.

It is mathematically enough to see us safe.

The good news is Leeds lost. They now need a win in one of their last two to stay up - two draws would not be enough. Even if they win both matches, four more points would see us through. And with the way they played today and the fact that two of their better players are now done for the season, two wins seems highly unlikely.

I think the biggest surprise in this game was the delay/lack of substitutions made by Lampard. 

I still cant believe Dele didn't come. It probably wouldn't have made much difference but we were desperate for quality and I thought that was why we brought him in. 

5 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Also, if Leeds lose to Brighton Sunday, we need just a single point from the last three matches and we will be guaranteed safety.

I think the draw today from us though still gives them belief. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win Sunday.

If we had won today, I think that wipes out any hope they might have had.

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I think the draw today from us though still gives them belief. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win Sunday.

If we had won today, I think that wipes out any hope they might have had.

I personally would be shocked to see them beat an in-form Brighton who has beaten ManU, Tottenham, and Arsenal in their last 6 and who hasn’t lost since March, especially when Leeds are down both Ayling and James.

edit: meant to say hasn’t lost to a team not named Man City since March.

Three intense games in such a short space of time, some fatigue was to be expected, added to the fact we were expected to win so not playing our normal counter attack game plan.

Surprised we did not start DCL, Ali or at least bring them on at halftime, given the paucity of Watford but Frank has done a great job and in Frank I trust.

7 points from 9, nearly there COYB lets finish it at home to Brentford and Palace if necessary!!

It’s very much a point gained despite how frustrated we are that we couldn’t manage to get the three points. Quality in the final third is what let us down here - if we were a better attacking side then we open them up to create proper chances, rather than half chances, and we put one of them away.

I’m not getting down about this result, it takes us a step closer to safety. 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s very much a point gained despite how frustrated we are that we couldn’t manage to get the three points. Quality in the final third is what let us down here - if we were a better attacking side then we open them up to create proper chances, rather than half chances, and we put one of them away.

I’m not getting down about this result, it takes us a step closer to safety. 

I’ve woken up with the same opinion.  Lampard played that game like an allardyce/Moyes and I’m ok with that after his first few away games were played like Martinez.

defeat would have been a disaster from a momentum perspective.  

if Brighton do the business against Leeds then a draw vs Brentford sees us safe. 

last nights game was a reminder as to how much we lack in fluidity and quality.  If we did go down then that is what we would be facing most weeks… horrible parked buses. 

8 hours ago, RPG said:

A point is a point and we are inching towards safety which is good.

But I was hoping we would carry a bit more of an attacking threat than we did. To set my alarm for 2.30am for a 2.45am kick off, then watch us draw 0-0 is not my ideal way to spend a night. It's going to be a long day.

I can understand that but the fact is it's this sort of opposition we've struggled to break down for a long time. We just don't have the quality (and intelligence) to get through them and create enough proper chances. But, in the past we'd have ended up losing this game as well and that would have been an absolute disaster, so it really is a point gained.

Also, we'd not won an away game since August before Leicester so let's not get greedy :lol:.

I’m not saying we were wrong to get rid of Rodriguez…. I’m annoyed at him more than anything for making me feel that releasing the most talented creative player I’ve ever seen in a blue shirt go - was ok.

Lampard would have had him in a place where he would have won us 9 points on his own.

Everton aren’t meant to have ultra talented players it seems…. Last night served as a reminder as to why we need luxury players and why we can’t have them.   We simply don’t have enough players who can carry the load that they create.