IGNORED

Arsenal (Away) Date to be confirmed

Elston Gunnn

8 hours ago, Btay said:

Also not a royalist but being from a country in the commonwealth I have a respect for the royal family.

I hope people comments on this matter are respectful though as I imagine this could be a very emotional time for some people on this forum.

You won't be part of it for much longer after this. The commonwealth, that is.

54 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

This weekend's games are postponed. Given the likely date of the queen's funeral, the following weekend's games are also likely to be postponed - and then it's the international break. It sounds like there will be no more games until October, right?

Could be the case. Going to be a lot of fixtures in short amount of time. Hopefully DCL, Pickford, Doucoure & Holgate are fit by then as we will need the depth. Perhaps Townsend & Mina as well but aforementioned players are more important in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

My cynical mind says they’ve postponed these games and therefore avoided the likely embarrassment that would be caused when certain supporters of certain clubs would’ve booed the national anthem and/or the minutes silence. 

But cricket and rugby games are being played. It's all rather strange.

14 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

My cynical mind says they’ve postponed these games and therefore avoided the likely embarrassment that would be caused when certain supporters of certain clubs would’ve booed the national anthem and/or the minutes silence. 

I don't think it's that so much, the national reaction has been one of sadness and happy reflection on her life. 

I think it's more the optics of football being played and hundreds of thousands of football fans cheering and enjoying themselves just before the funeral could look out of place.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Why are football supporters held in such high regard by some elements of the media in this country, that statement isn’t fact it’s the opinion of Sportsbible, the PL made their statement as to why they called off this week’s football and I for one accept and agree with their decision, and won’t be trolling the slums of the internet to try and prove otherwise. 70 years of service to this country and it’s people with dignity and honour and stoic to the end, and yet some can’t accept a decision to postpone the league for one week as a respect and acknowledgment to her for all the good she did in her lifetime. Some honestly make me feel ashamed to be British, and I’m not talking about whether you are a royalist supporter or not, showing respect for the queen goes further than that. 

This.

• MikeO changed the title to Arsenal (Away) Date to be confirmed
3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Why are football supporters held in such high regard by some elements of the media in this country, that statement isn’t fact it’s the opinion of Sportsbible, the PL made their statement as to why they called off this week’s football and I for one accept and agree with their decision, and won’t be trolling the slums of the internet to try and prove otherwise. 70 years of service to this country and it’s people with dignity and honour and stoic to the end, and yet some can’t accept a decision to postpone the league for one week as a respect and acknowledgment to her for all the good she did in her lifetime. Some honestly make me feel ashamed to be British, and I’m not talking about whether you are a royalist supporter or not, showing respect for the queen goes further than that. 

I wonder how much of it was down to the fear that the “scouse not British” brigade would completely disrespect any marks of respect? 

just noticed the tweet…. Yep without naming them it appears to be the case.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

There's so much to unpack here.

If this is true then it's quite the opposite: football fans are held in a low regard as it seems they aren't trusted to be able to be respectful of a minute's silence.

It's not Sports Bible, they have simply tweeted out what a journalist has reported about the situation.

That tweet isn't trying to prove it wasn't the right decision or that they don't agree with it, it's just saying what was part of the consideration of why the fixtures were postponed this weekend by the FA.

Personally I think the best way to mark her passing would have been to play the games and have the minute's silence. However, I can see exactly why they haven't gone ahead with the fixtures as a mark of respect as well, and I think it was absolutely right to take into account that some fans would have boo'd during the minute's silence which would have been very disrespectful and defeated the whole point of it.

I'm not a royalist and feel that the monarchy should be abolished but I would never boo this sort of thing and I don't agree with it. A woman has died that has been the head of this country for twice as long as I've been alive and she's done her job impeccably.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

If this is true then it's quite the opposite: football fans are held in a low regard as it seems they aren't trusted to be able to be respectful of a minute's silence.

That’s what I was implying in a sarcastic manner, football fans are able to be respectful, cunts aren’t whether they attend football matches or not, yet shite journalists and piss poor media sites would rather paint football fans as people who have no respect and no understanding of right or wrong. People need to show that they understand even on forums like this that they understand and acknowledge and respect that the decision to cancel football was done as a mark of respect for our queen and head of state for 70 years and not be the cunts Sportsbible have published we    could be. 

10 hours ago, RPG said:

I think next week's opponents (West Ham) are ideal to demonstrate how true fans should behave Palfy. The East End has always had a close affinity and great affection for the Royal family and I am confident of appropriate respect being shown by both sets of fans at Goodison Park if the game goes ahead as scheduled.

After the one minute silence prior to West Ham's midweek Europa League game (which was impeccably observed) the West Ham fans all stood and sang 'God Save The Queen.'

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2022/9/9/football-pays-tribute-queen-elizabeth-ii

And our Frank is from those parts.

11 hours ago, RPG said:

I think next week's opponents (West Ham) are ideal to demonstrate how true fans should behave Palfy. The East End has always had a close affinity and great affection for the Royal family and I am confident of appropriate respect being shown by both sets of fans at Goodison Park if the game goes ahead as scheduled.

After the one minute silence prior to West Ham's midweek Europa League game (which was impeccably observed) the West Ham fans all stood and sang 'God Save The Queen.'

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2022/9/9/football-pays-tribute-queen-elizabeth-ii

Who’d Adam and Eve it a bunch of working class cockney dockers giving it large for their Pearly Queen, get in boys the nation and the world should be proud of how you have conducted yourselves I know I am.