IGNORED

Man City (Away) 31st December

Romey 1878

• Manchester City are unbeaten in their past 11 home league games against Everton, having lost four in a row against them at the Etihad before this.

• Everton have lost each of their previous nine Premier League games against Manchester City.

• Phil Foden has scored three goals in his past four Premier League games against Everton.

• No side has lost more Premier League away games so far in 2022 than Everton (12). The Toffees last lost more on the road in a single calendar year in 1999 (13).

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:
  • Manchester City are unbeaten in their past 11 home league games against Everton, having lost four in a row against them at the Etihad before this.

• Everton have lost each of their previous nine Premier League games against Manchester City.

• Phil Foden has scored three goals in his past four Premier League games against Everton.

• No side has lost more Premier League away games so far in 2022 than Everton (12). The Toffees last lost more on the road in a single calendar year in 1999 (13).

These stats are all well and good but the one thing they haven’t accounted for is I’m now a die hard City fan.

City is a team that has always resonated with me for the way we’ve brought young players through our academy like KDB, Haaland & Stones to name a few. Plus we took a gamble on a young, relatively unknown manager in Pep which has reaped rewards.

Every team I follow in every code is utter dog shit at the moment but surely it won’t rub off on my beloved City….

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

These stats are all well and good but the one thing they haven’t accounted for is I’m now a die hard City fan.

City is a team that has always resonated with me for the way we’ve brought young players through our academy like KDB, Haaland & Stones to name a few. Plus we took a gamble on a young, relatively unknown manager in Pep which has reaped rewards.

Every team I follow in every code is utter dog shit at the moment but surely it won’t rub off on my beloved City….

This just proves you are a true Evertonian. When all is burning down around our ears we still keep our sense of humour!

Aren't press conferences dull!

2 questions about Pele after the first one had clearly stated that he has no personal knowledge, was not old enough to watch him but can give a generic respectful answer!

2 questions about how great Haaland is!

Only things we actually found out:

DCL is in the squad

Some of the players and manager are feeling a bit ill.

On the DCL front I'd much rather have him feeding off scraps and holding the ball up when we mange to get it away from our area against City than Maupay but is it really worth throwing him into a game where he won't get a lot of action.

You could say it's actually a better game to come back to.  He won't be too active up front for most of the time so shouldn't be overworked and can be an important player defending set pieces.  For those reasons I'd probably rather we start him then take him off when he's had enough (or is injured again!). 

Pickford

Patterson         Coady      Tarks    Mykolenko

Onana        Gueye

Iwobi

Gordon              DCL                 Gray

I am tempted to swap out one of the midfield players for an extra defender.  Difficult to drop Gueye or Onana as they both are very capable defensively and putting in vital challenges.  Iwobi hasn't been playing so well recently, would we miss him as an attacking out let here?  The problem with playing 5 at the back is it can be easy to end up sat too deep with the 3 in midfield and support form the wingers you can look to keep City further away from goal.

Random stat that may surprise a few:

Onana has the most tackles for us this season but in 2nd place is Antony Gordon!  His tackles have won the ball back 22 times this season.

Interestingly he's actually made more tackles in the defensive 3rd than Onana maybe not a surprise I suppose as he is generally trying to win the ball back around the middle where as Gordon is supporting his full back.

2 hours ago, FairWooney said:

2 questions about Pele after the first one had clearly stated that he has no personal knowledge, was not old enough to watch him but can give a generic respectful answer!

2 questions about how great Haaland is!

DCL is in the squad

On the DCL front I'd much rather have him feeding off scraps and holding the ball up when we mange to get it away from our area against City than Maupay but is it really worth throwing him into a game where he won't get a lot of action.

You could say it's actually a better game to come back to.  He won't be too active up front for most of the time so shouldn't be overworked and can be an important player defending set pieces.  For those reasons I'd probably rather we start him then take him off when he's had enough (or is injured again!). 

Pickford

Patterson         Coady      Tarks    Mykolenko

Onana        Gueye

Iwobi

Gordon              DCL                 Gray

I am tempted to swap out one of the midfield players for an extra defender.  Difficult to drop Gueye or Onana as they both are very capable defensively and putting in vital challenges.  Iwobi hasn't been playing so well recently, would we miss him as an attacking out let here?  The problem with playing 5 at the back is it can be easy to end up sat too deep with the 3 in midfield and support form the wingers you can look to keep City further away from goal.

Random stat that may surprise a few:

Onana has the most tackles for us this season but in 2nd place is Antony Gordon!  His tackles have won the ball back 22 times this season.

Interestingly he's actually made more tackles in the defensive 3rd than Onana maybe not a surprise I suppose as he is generally trying to win the ball back around the middle where as Gordon is supporting his full back.

I’m feeling quite similar,  I’m a bit sick of the players and manager myself at the moment

2 hours ago, FairWooney said:

DCL is in the squad

Lampard says: “We’ve got a few people who are slightly unwell so we’ve got a few checks on that.”  Which means the only thing we actually learned is that DCL might play.  As for the rest of Lampard’s revelations, well, which people, with what maladies, and how seriously?

Not, I admit, that it’s likely to matter, as it would be a shock if we manage even a point.  Need 6 from our next 2 matches at Goodison.  Or more than a few of us here are going to be more than slightly unwell.

Don't believe that we are starting with DCL, against a team we have no chance of winning, but a big chance of him being injured again, because of the amount of running he will have to do chasing shadows, surly it makes sense to play him in a game he can influence, and we have a chance of winning.

Subject to fitness, I do think that is the best line-up we could put out in this game. 

A flat back 5, two holding midfielders with Iwobi probably given a bit of freedom and then Dom and Gray will be asked to raise a bit of havoc with their pace. 

As is always the case with City, get through Rodri and you have a great chance of getting at their back 4, although when I watched a bit of them the other day, Rico Lewis played alongside Rodri when they had the ball and it was more 3 centre backs, 2 holding midfielders and then the rest rotating. 

We have to be targeting both "full backs" though as they are far weaker than Walker and Cancelo. Shame we probably won't be playing with wingers.