IGNORED

Brentford (Away) 23rd September

Romey 1878

Was incredibly encouraged by our purpose this match. Our passing still in inconsistent and we were again prone to mistakes. But our midfield looked to play decisive balls, Beto plays a great hold up man, and we were dangerous throughout.

weve deserved more this far this season and it’s great to see the squad pick up some much needed points against a strong side on the road. Lastly, shout out to garner on his ball for the third. His creativity has frequently seemed better in theory than in practice to me but he picked that out perfectly.

We looked the far better team all day, just as we did against Fulham and Wolves.

Difference today we have Beto and DCL available, and got the goals. We are beginning to use the height advantage we have through to team to better effect today as well. Brentford stuggled to compeate today.

It was also notable today, for the first time in a long time, we had a little bit of offensive quality on the bench. 

Looking forward to seeing Jack Harrison joining them.

Something to build on now we have no longer go the 'not won a game yet' monkey of our backs.

Huge win that , especially with Bournemouth and Luton at home next up and players coming back from injury this gives us a real chance to kick start the season 

Thought we played some decent football and created plenty of chances but the reaction to the equaliser pleased me the most. It came completely out of the blue and gave them an obvious lift so it would have been easy for us to just crumble given the position we are in. But the players picked themselves up and just carried on playing with the same composure and took full control of the game again

Just watched the game again, this time analysing as much as enjoying.

First off, let's admit that the transfer window was very good for us. I know plenty of commentators were critical, especially when Iwobi left, but we cut the wage bill substantially, moved out a good amount of deadwood, and brought in just the players we needed. Young adds to the experience in defence; Beto gives us a point man up front; Danjuma does his job well; and we have Chermiti in reserve and Harrison to add more depth. Good job to the recruitment team. It's making a difference on the field.

Second, we have very good balance on the team, with useful versatility as well. Young can play just about anywhere. Garner can play centrally or out wide. We have more options, despite arguably less depth.

Third, and this may sound controversial, we now have just the talent we need to move up the table. What's needed is for those returning from injury to reach full fitness and for the team as a whole to gel. The more they play together, the more the incisive passes will work. We just need a little luck and an absence of untimely injuries.

Fourth, I'm quite impressed with Tarkowski as team captain. You can see how he guides the younger players in defence, how he's always in front of the ref, and even how he runs over to injured players from the opposing team. He's a strong and vocal captain, and a fair one. Scoring one, assisting one, and saving one, he was my MotM.

Finally, as the team play together more and more, not only will things begin to click, but confidence will also kick in. Take just one silly example. Do you recall Dom's run down the left touchline when he juggled rather than dribbled the ball? He was confident. He was enjoying himself. The belief was there. Multiply that by 11 and this team really could finish in the top half of the table.

We didn't deserve to lose against Fulham or Wolves. We were the better team in both cases, but we had no-one who could score goals. Now we have two big, strong centre forwards, and we've got the youthful promise of another. Now, when we're the better team, we're going to win.

And wasn't it nice to see that shot of Maupay sitting with Tomey? That era for us is over!

• Everton picked up their first Premier League victory in London since May 2021 under Carlo Ancelotti (v West Ham United), ending their 13 game winless streak in the capital (D5 L8).

• Brentford suffered just their second defeat across their last 19 home Premier League games (W8 D9). This was their first loss on home soil since April against Newcastle United (unbeaten in seven before today).

• Everton scored more goals (3) and won more points (3) today than they did across their opening five Premier League fixtures this term (2 goals and 1 point).

• Since Sean Dyche’s first Premier League game in charge of Everton back in February, Abdoulaye Doucoure has scored more goals than any other player for the Toffees (7).

• All seven of Mathias Jensen's Premier League goals for Brentford have come on home soil, with only Clive Wilson (9/9), Ronny Johnsen (8/8) and Jeff Kenna (8/8) netting more goals in the competition's history while seeing 100% of them come at home.

12 hours ago, Gwlad said:

Don't know what Sean said to them at half time but attitude changed and they showed belief and fight. Sitting among Brentford supporters who from the off thought we would be a walkover so especially good that Tarks scored!

I think he probably just calmed them down and reset them as we went back to playing how we did at the start of the first half. 

Everyone just seemed to get a bit panicky for the goal. I think it was Young that started it off with a dodgy clearance, Gana and Myko got sucked into challenges without winning the ball, Branthwaite was too deep, Myko switches off completely, Branthwaite with a dodgy clearance, then I think he does the right think by going towards the ball but Tarkowski doesnt read the danger and cover him and drops far too deep. If one player in that mix could have just shown a little bit of composure they wouldnt have scored or it would have made it a lot more difficult. 

That head wobble continued for most of the rest of the half.

Based on this game and the players on show - there where plenty of reasons to be more optomistic as an Everton fan than perhaps as a Brentford fan for the season ahead.

For any team with a small squad - the number of injuries will be key. However, the squad is now looking like one where a general style of play can me maintained through the team when different personel are available. There does appear to be a thought out process to our recruitment now. 

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think he probably just calmed them down and reset them as we went back to playing how we did at the start of the first half. 

Everyone just seemed to get a bit panicky for the goal. I think it was Young that started it off with a dodgy clearance, Gana and Myko got sucked into challenges without winning the ball, Branthwaite was too deep, Myko switches off completely, Branthwaite with a dodgy clearance, then I think he does the right think by going towards the ball but Tarkowski doesnt read the danger and cover him and drops far too deep. If one player in that mix could have just shown a little bit of composure they wouldnt have scored or it would have made it a lot more difficult. 

That head wobble continued for most of the rest of the half.

The biggest culprit for their goal, IMO, was McNeil. Maybe he was pacing himself since still not 100 percent fit, but he should not have just ambled back. 

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The biggest culprit for their goal, IMO, was McNeil. Maybe he was pacing himself since still not 100 percent fit, but he should not have just ambled back. 

McNeil!? 

He bears no responsibility whatsoever and I have no idea how you could even get that.